SCWD wave maker "SQUID"

bawater

• SRC Member

A relative newcomer in the wave making industry.

just read a review on it, its so new not many ppl have tried it.

It runs on your return line from sump(or a close circuit),alternating return flow between 2 outputs- duration depends on pump but is within seconds. Same price as the Reeftec, US$50.

1322042.jpg

Here is a working model by lunchbucket@on his US webpage:

SCWD in Motion

Before i get flooded with pm's, i have not decided to get a reeftec or Squid yet. :huh: still thinkin hard.

Yesterday i saw one at Ocean Planet. One of the customer bought it. I think the price tag is showing ~$135. He demo to me by blowing into the inlet and the sound from the outlet is pretty cool. When i see him again will check with him on his comment after fixing it up and get it running.

OP had one?? That's interesting!

Anyway... if it's a mechanical gear changing the water flow... it's a matter of time before it clogs... and it doesn't look like it can be taken apart for cleaning.

Also the water flow looks quite poor IMO.

Someone should do a product review.

• SRC Member

Was at OP today, partly to check out that place and also to have a look at the device. I'm highly sceptical of any device that is driven by the water pressure because sooner or later it will get clogged up with calcium deposit or gunk and sieze up. Sometimes it takes a month, sometimes longer, it's not if, but when. If the device is serviceable, then it won't be too bad to take it apart and give it a good scrub and bleach dip, but this SCWD thingie cannot be taken apart.

It's another device similar in concept to Eden and Ocean current, I won't recommend it, especially for that price.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Got mine on sat(it was cheaper from the states). when i blow into it,sounds like its working on gears- now dunno if i should put it into the return line or on a close circuit. 'wat if' it fails on the return line then i got a major problemo?

Only can say later if when still running in 6mths without problems.

• 4 weeks later...

bawater,

My scwd is arriving week after next. I intend to use it for my 2ft/80litre reef tank.

Tank specs/inhabitants:

2ft/80litre

prizm ps

2 inches #1 substrate

about 12-15 kg LR

2 edens for circulation (in use for 11 mths - NEVER failed me)

leathers, mushrooms, brains, polyps, bubble, torch, galaxea, fox

My idea is to use a spare eheim 1260 (2400l/hr) plumped to be used externally. I suspect the flowrate even with head pressure may be too strong for a tank this size. So, I am looking at having the flow go through the scwd, one end goes straight into the tank; the other end connects to a Y-joint and splits into two returns.

Based on your experience/knowledge, do you think this sort of 'unbalanced' return will work with the scwd? Or should I even bother to connect a Y-joint?

Thanks for your comments.

FF

• SRC Member

soz for the late reply FF, been away for a week.

i got mine connected on a project canister -(the canister is bare, i just use it as an external powerhead)rated 1800/ltr.counting the return from sump that means i have 3 circulation points so i'm trying to do without any powerheads in the tank. Its still cycling so i can't really tell if its enough for me yet.

the only difference u will notice between high & low flowrates is the time between the alternate flow switching & that's the only adjustment(pump rate) u can do to achieve your preferred effect.

r u running a sump(i should guess so cause 2ft volume only 50ltr)?or where r u gonna put the ehiem 1260?. i would think its a bit strong for a 2ft,even with the head loss,for u i guess won't be more than 3ft height?(which is not much cause these pumps are designed for this exact use of pumping up)

since u have it spare u can try, but u need a flowrate rated according to your volume or tank size.

i would think its a bit too strong for the 2ft even if u included an extra Y joint.

p.s remember to get all the fittings to fit & then check for weak points or any potential burst points.

The instructions cover all these.

:D

Hi Bawater

Never too late! Thanks for the reply.

To answer your questions:

1 no sump - unfortunately

2 2ft but 80 litres (its an oversized two footer)

3 will put eheim 1260 in cabinet below tank, plumbed for external use

4 yes, head pressure approx. 3 ft

I noted your points. Guess I will try with one Y-joint and if its still too strong, maybe add another Y-joint to the other end of the scwd. If this still fail, I guess I will have to spend money (again) on a weaker pump.

Thanks!

• SRC Member

i get what u mean, u r gonna run it on a closed loop.

i read the smallest it ran on was on a 29gal so it'll most probably will work.

Here's the thread that i saw in jan & got me started.

RC-scwd

its 10pages long & will take abt 30mins to go thru, but they got all kind of plumbing senarios there.

hmmmm maybe it looks like 1 is not enough for me. :P

Here is a version of a closed loop>something like what u wanna do.

scwd-close loop

Nobody can give a longterm account for it yet cause the oldest working one on a reef is only abt 6weeks old.(although its been tested to 53,000hrs)

Mine is not even 2 weeks old & i have to keep shutting it off cause i doing adjustments to my tank so got to remove it for a while.

just remember to prefilter the water & it will run longer.

• 2 weeks later...

Bawater,

I did a quick test this evening by connecting it to my Eheim 1262 (rated for 3400lph/900gph - well within the recommended flow rate). It switched only once and then always stayed with one end (end A). I turned it back to front. Again, it switched just once and end up with the water exiting from the same end A again.

Also, I used flexible hoses throughout. Not sure if this is an issue. The instructions also stated that the pump's pressure should not exceed 5psi. I'm not sure what is this pump pressure. Do you know?

Did I overlook something or did something wrong?

Thanks

FF

• SRC Member

on RC there are some calculators, u can calc the head pressure & final flowrate by entering the amount of pipe,elbows & height traveled.

i did test to see if mine was working- only used flexible pipes to connect to pvc.

i ran it on a 1260(2400l/hr)- it was working fine.

i then hooked it up upside down in the water for abt 2hrs(once my final piping was done), switching was fine- runs abt 7-10secs each end. Already contemplating getting another!

i still haven't hooked it up final... cause i'm really taking my sweet time with this tank.

Have u tried blowing in the input? it should switch just by the power of your breath- if it doesn't...u got a faulty one.

Have u tried it on a lower rated pump?- it could be the pressure!

Take note that the warranty is 90days, write back to the place u ordered or the manufacturer.

U may have to send it back for a replacement(of course US goods means u bare the shipping costs). Use Singpost to do it shouldn't cost much.

Brandon

on RC there are some calculators, u can calc the head pressure & final flowrate by entering the amount of pipe,elbows & height traveled.

Head pressure on my trial setup should be negligible - the SCWD was located 15cm above the pump output.

i did test to see if mine was working- only used flexible pipes to connect to pvc.

i ran it on a 1260(2400l/hr)- it was working fine.

i then hooked it up upside down in the water for abt 2hrs(once my final piping was done), switching was fine- runs abt 7-10secs each end. Already contemplating getting another!

i still haven't hooked it up final... cause i'm really taking my sweet time with this tank.

Have u tried blowing in the input? it should switch just by the power of your breath- if it doesn't...u got a faulty one.

Have u tried it on a lower rated pump?- it could be the pressure!

• SRC Member

i think u shouldn't guess- test with a normal powerhead to see if it works.

3000+ ltr at 15cm!wah even i will fly back from the pressure that comes out.

i use the 1260 to pump up a height of 5 ft & total abt 9ft length of pvc.(my stand is 3.5ft tall + tank is 2ft tall) i lose abt 1000 ltr- so that leaves me with abt 1400ltr. i'm looking for low turn over anyway. :D

You're right. Let see what I can try with an idling 2000lph PH.

Because its a nano, I do not plan to use the conventional 13mm/15mm round output. I'm thinking of DIYing rainbars from 13mm PVC tubes and have them on the right and left edge pointing 45 - 60 degrees down. The flow of water will be more even across the width of the tank.

What do you think?