Let's see your anemones!!!

Achilles Tang

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

DAMn IT!!!!!!

AHHHHHHHHH.....................I went down to Lim Chu Kang 110 there and saw these anemones on a rock too!!!!!!!

I bought alot of them!!! oh my god............................my tank...........my fishes...............*SoB* :(

the fat fella there told me that they were bubble tip anemone babies..........they were a real bargain i tot.................

sh*t sh*t sh*t!!!!

x japan

The fat guy there does not know much about corals and anemone. As what AT says find out about before you buy.

Although LCK is pretty far off..... and getting there and not buying anything.............. :(

I always think that anemone is only good for a spieces tank.

The only way to kill aiptasia and majanos is to inject them with kalkwasser or limewater individually.

Some have tried very hot water.

Be careful because they reproduce very fast, and don't tear them because what tissue left behind can regenerate.

They have a very powerful sting and can harm livestock and corals.

Since they come on a piece of rock... the simplest solution is to remove them out of the tank.

<_<

• SRC Member

Nope, but the anemone looks like it is bleaching (becoming tranlucent) and the tentacles sort of look like they're shrinking... Also, if a clown is too large for an anemone they can damage and stress it when they twist around and wiggle in it.... If you want to try to help the anemone recover it is possible to keep the clown out of the anemone by putting a plastic mesh screen on a framework sort of like a breeding net upside down on the anemone's area. Then the anemone will be protected from the clownfish but it won't be stressed by being moved or anything and can still get light. The clownfish may be irritated but probably won't mind.

I've had rock anemones - 10 to be exact - over two years now. There was a time when I was shifting office and I had to put the anemones - together with the rest of the livestocks - in a holding tank. I left them there for about two months and the anemones totally bleached. I thought they were gone for good as they shrunk to a tiny piece and the colour turned creamy. Even then I did not get rid of them... don't ask me why.

When my main tank was ready I transfered the anemones over and in about six months, these tough little guys grew to their normal size and even the colour was back to normal. It was like a miracle to me.

After more than two years, some of them have grown quite big and standing tall like mini palm trees. After reading that these anemones are actually pest, I stopped feeding them directly with shrimp meat. Now they only get to eat whatever falls on them while feeding the fishes. I have certain degree of affection for them and I don't intend to get rid of them.. or at least for now.

Fortunately, they are positioned on the highest rock scapes in the tank and not near any corals. Besides all ten of them have been in "Sedia" position for as long as I could remember. Of course I will review my opinions if and when they turn nasty.

Reefgang

Thanks for the tips on powerhead. Need to be more careful next time.

BTW, anyone recognise these ..... are these anemone ??

No clown fish dares to go near them ....

Those are rock anemones. Generally harmless. Personally, I have a huge chendol type anemone with a purple base and it loves its perch on a rock where the return flow of water hits it full force. Both my clowns love it there. Feed it beef meat sometime and it eats it along with my tube anemone.

I have another that looks pretty nice, small with a flourescent green core with red tentacles. A porcelain crab is living with it and the other sharing the chendol with my 2 clowns.

Hi,

How much is it ?

Use to have a totally yellow anemone but died within a month. Maybe at that time my system was no stable yet.

thanks.

Limpc

I think the yellow types are prone to dying...mine didn't last too long either.

• 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...
I used to have 3 bubbletip anemones in my tank, I slowly got rid of them as they became too much trouble... they were fighting with my corals as they are expanding and overshadowing them.

I won't keep another anemone in my tank unless I can get hold of a rose anemone but even that must be a small one. Anemones grow very fast...

From my experience, they prefer cooler water.

Oh... never ever get a haddoni or carpet anemone... I got a very unusual one that was BRIGHT FLORESCENT green... but it was a MONSTER!!!

It was so sticky that EVERYTHING got stuck to it... my fingers, my tongs, and any fish that bumped into it at night. It was a real killer. I lost a few tangs and one long-nose butterfly fish to it.

I must say that I should have gotten rid of it earlier... but its rarity made me hold back... and i paid the price.

It grew from a 8 cm specimen to a 20cm monster with all the good expensive food it ate... sob sob!

greenane2.jpg

AT, i saw plenty of such anemone in hong kong this two days. I didn't know its rare. . . . guess wad. . i bought ten RBTA!! :)

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

:rolleyes:

post-72-1159965632.jpg

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

i wanna ask about my long tentacale anemone...last time i bought it the colour is something like the 1st pic.but then a year later it grew so big and eventually become like 2nd pic.and that really keep me wondering why.nitrates & nitrites level are at acceptable at most of the time <30ppm.lighting 4 tubes T5.my other anemone (green haddoni & RBTA looks fine).but only this one it changed colour.ist normal for them to change colour when they grow large ? :blink:

post-72-1160566934.jpg

This is usually what happens when you bought a very vibrant anemone. Because the shop or maybe the distributor bleach the anemone by leaving them out of any light for a period of time, then they inject this vibrant colour in. The above mentioned happens only when you see very vibrant colour like purple, bright yellow, bright red/orange etc. But I really hope that yours is not one of the victim. Did you feed it with any meaty items?

• SRC Member

tis is wat i got .. btw 4ft tank can hav hw many anemone ?

currently hav one anemone n maroon clown , is it possible to add one more anemone without adding one more clown as im scare that the maroon will chase after the new clown ..

post-72-1160581322.jpg

stitched001ov7.jpg