Marine Ich

Dear fellow reefers,

I've just been told that a local company has produced a safe-cure for the dreaded white spots and it's available at a local fish-shop, located in

Chinatown area. It costs only $8++ per bottle.

Let's get some feedbacks from u all out there 'cos over the yrs the local lads have indeed come up with wonderful inventions, but this fish

medication.....??

finbir.

• Senior Reefer

if it's really so wonderful. how come thousands of reefers are still battling ich everyday?

it's too good to be true.

there is no medication that is reef safe and cure itch. no easy way out.

watever kills ich, is not reef safe.

Thks for sharing, are u referring to the shop near kreta Ayer market? To be frank, there are a number of claimed medication to battle ich but seems not many are very effective. However, maybe can see see look look and try on QT tank to see effect since not high price. Just make sure no copper as this is very effective but not reef safe.

Dear fellow reefers,

I've just been told that a local company has produced a safe-cure for the dreaded white spots and it's available at a local fish-shop, located in

Chinatown area. It costs only $8++ per bottle.

Let's get some feedbacks from u all out there 'cos over the yrs the local lads have indeed come up with wonderful inventions, but this fish

medication.....??

finbir.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

• Senior Reefer

highly unlikely, i'm very sceptical about such claims... ich is forever in the tank.. we can't escape it.. just manage it.

with extreme quarantine measures, you can eradicate every single ich parasite.

but it's very unlikely and many tanks that do quarantine their fishes also have very very low levels of ich that manage to slip through, but do not show up due to the low amount and healthy fishes.

Waterlife Octozin is rather reef safe IME. The active ingredient is probably metrodinazole. Alternatively you can get metrodinazole tablets to crush & mix with fish food prior to feeding. Contact me if you wish to try.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

Waterlife Octozin is rather reef safe IME. The active ingredient is probably metrodinazole. Alternatively you can get metrodinazole tablets to crush & mix with fish food prior to feeding. Contact me if you wish to try.

Problem is my 2 buddies bought the stuff sold by that shop ( it's been in this business 4 donkey yrs. and have been getting fish n inverts from Pinnacle and Ah Beng)n poured it into their fish and invert tanks. One of them noticed a strong lingering odour after that but their flowerpot corals and soft mushies don't seem to be affected and best of all the white spots 'disappeared'.

Personally, I'm waiting 4 them to put new fishes into their tanks n see what they have to say. Only $8++ n really it's a miracle. Just thought maybe u

guys out there ve bought the same stuff and used it.

Thks 4 the input, folks.

Finbir.

• 10 months later...

That was 30 years ago. On a recent trip to a local LFS, I purchased a Pearly-Scale Butterfly fish. After being placed in my quarantine tank, I noticed it definitely has Ich. Fortunately, I’m a lot smarter now and the fish was promptly treated, released from quarantine, and has been doing fine in a community tank ever since.

Marine Ich has been running rampant in this hobby for at least 30 years, perhaps much longer. Surely in this amount of time the importers, the exporters, industry support groups, or even LFS’s would have gotten together and figured out how to wipe out this parasite from the supply chain. But they haven’t. It keeps propagating (and surviving) from the South Pacific holding tanks to your living room aquarium. There are procedures such as dips and medications that can stop Ich in its tracks. But this doesn’t look like it’s going to happen anytime soon. The ornamental marine business is a rag-tag industry of rogue fish collectors and corrupt, unregulated island-countries. When clownfish sell for $0.03 each at the dock, there isn’t much incentive to install treatment facilities. The bottom line is that it is your responsibility to deal with Ich on any fish you buy.

Do not think for one minute that a fish with clear fins in your LFS’s tank does not have Ich. The parasite normally attaches to the gills first, which cannot be seen. And not all fish scratch when infected with Ich. Many LFS’s use copper in some or all their fish holding tanks. This is an excellent measure to minimize the spread of the disease, but it does not necessarily prevent the parasite from coming home with you. First off, the copper concentration may have drifted below its therapeutic level. the knee at which copper kills the parasite is very slim. Secondly, it takes at least 7 days for attached cysts to dislodge. If the fish hasn’t been at the LFS very long, the copper won’t have enough time to work.

I don’t know what the odds are of buying a fish today infected with Ich, but talking with fellow aquarists across different parts of the country, the consensus seems to be approximately 2 out of every 3 fish either have Ich or a related life-threatening parasite (i.e. Oodinium) when purchased. Folks, this is an epidemic. If this was happening to humans, the world would be in deep shit. Such a statistic makes cancer and heart disease look like the common cold.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've tried a few brands of medication that's reef safe. Seriously its not that effective. The only way to protect our livestock from these parasites is by puting them in QT and treated with Cu.

My Simple Tank Spec

Main Tank LPS and Softies 4x2x2.5ft

Sump Tank 2.5x1.5x1.5ft with lots of LR

Remote Sump Tank 2x1x1ft dsb refugium with chaeto, mangroves and Gracilaria curtissae macroalgae

DIY LED with 6x 3W Blue and 6x 3W White main tank light

DIY LED with 1x 3W Blue and 1x 3W Red refugium light

DIY LED 1x 1W Blue moonlighting

Now convert to skimmerless Tank

1 x Rio 14HF Return Pump

1 x SunSun JVP-102 wavemaker

1 x 2x1 vertical Algae Turf Scrubber with 2x 10W LED Warm White

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Problem is my 2 buddies bought the stuff sold by that shop ( it's been in this business 4 donkey yrs. and have been getting fish n inverts from Pinnacle and Ah Beng)n poured it into their fish and invert tanks. One of them noticed a strong lingering odour after that but their flowerpot corals and soft mushies don't seem to be affected and best of all the white spots 'disappeared'.

Personally, I'm waiting 4 them to put new fishes into their tanks n see what they have to say. Only $8++ n really it's a miracle. Just thought maybe u

guys out there ve bought the same stuff and used it.

Thks 4 the input, folks.

Finbir.

Hi Bro, I am have been battling Ick for weeks lioaz.... can pm me on the address... no harm to give a try lioaz..i use it in my QT tank

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

ich will forever be there. salt water aquarium sure wont run away from ich. to be honest. copper is the best treatment but it's not reef safe. for me when i start out this hobby i die lots of fishes due to in-proper acclimation of fish. water parameters problem. i learnt my lesson hard. just get a QT copper treat it for 2weeks-1month. depend on your liking. i tried 3months copper treatment for new fish and acclimate then more then usual before going in main tank. it works well for me.

Ich free tank is possible. That's with strict quarantine on every new addition. Be it fish, corals, or rock. Corals & new rock go into a fishless system for 1-2 months before entering display aquarium.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

I was wondering how many of you guys let the fish to "fight" the ich?

It a big gamble. ... I won't take the chance...btw tried once with my clowns & whole tank gone by 2nd week

• SRC Member

I have an ich outbreak last year, around 7 mths ago, due to purchase of an infected fish. Some 6 fishes caught these disease one by one. Lost my fav Powder brown tang & 2 other fishes. I tried Cu method on some fishes in another tank but it does not work well for me. Last & desperate method, I pour Melafix into my reef tank, at the recommended dosage, with my UV running (with the UV light replaced). I did not expect to see any postive result BUT amazing, Melafix works. My other infected fishes recover and my corals stays intact. I don't know how to explain these & melafix does not indicates it can cures ICH. Anybody can explain why? Now, I always keep one full bottle of melafix on standby. This is my personnel experience. And yah, my corals & fishes still living happily for another 2 months till my 'stressed' sea apple almost wiped out my whole tank. Since then, I have moved onwards. Sea apple was bought when I just started out 4 years ago & have no idea it is so dangerous.

I have an ich outbreak last year, around 7 mths ago, due to purchase of an infected fish. Some 6 fishes caught these disease one by one. Lost my fav Powder brown tang & 2 other fishes. I tried Cu method on some fishes in another tank but it does not work well for me. Last & desperate method, I pour Melafix into my reef tank, at the recommended dosage, with my UV running (with the UV light replaced). I did not expect to see any postive result BUT amazing, Melafix works. My other infected fishes recover and my corals stays intact. I don't know how to explain these & melafix does not indicates it can cures ICH. Anybody can explain why? Now, I always keep one full bottle of melafix on standby. This is my personnel experience. And yah, my corals & fishes still living happily for another 2 months till my 'stressed' sea apple almost wiped out my whole tank. Since then, I have moved onwards. Sea apple was bought when I just started out 4 years ago & have no idea it is so dangerous.

Hi friend, just o check after melafix applied does it affect the invert like snail? Anyone tried his before?

• 1 month later...