need to plan for additional fish

nuj244

I need to plan for additional fishes once my 2' cube is running. Need some recomendation for fishes that will add color to the tank but will co-exist with my current fishes. I am looking at adding midas blenny (will be ok with tail spot?) and yellow or purple tang. I may dispose my 6 line for other fish like splendid leopard wrasse or gramma loreto. this is what I have currently. Any suggestion?

1 - flameback

1 - flame angel

1 - six line

1 - tail spot blenny

2 - true percula

1 - white gobby

1 - mandarin

1 - cardinal

• SRC Member

From your list, I estimated around 13-15 inches of fish. If we use the general rule of thumb (3 inches per 10 gallon), your 60 US gallon tank should be able to support 18 inches worth. So 3-5 more inches of fish should be fine.

Disclaimer: rule of thumb - not hard and fast rule. if you keep you water params well, you can afford heavier stocking and vice versa.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• SRC Member

Yellow clown goby need some sps or other corals as protection.. otherwise sure get whacked by bigger fishes.

Furthermore, hard to get feeding specimen.

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

imo, if you want, choose between yellow and purple tang but not both. Maybe can add a blue tang if you want, 2ft cube is a reasonable size for blue tang. Can also consider adding a school of anthias (barlett?) or chromis.

between yellow and purple tang, which one grow slower? which one is more agressive?I tried blue tang before, grow very fast.

• SRC Member

between yellow and purple tang, which one grow slower? which one is more agressive?I tried blue tang before, grow very fast.

between this 2, YT is said to have a smaller max size. it'll also add more yellow to your tank.

• SRC Member

imo clown gobies aren't hard fishes. as long you can get a healthy specimen, feeding should come in naturally. i use to keep one before i had sps and it was fine sitting on whatever lps i had. extremely greedy and entertaining. it was one of the fishes i would list as almost indestructible once settled down in a tank :thumbsup:

• SRC Member

imo clown gobies aren't hard fishes. as long you can get a healthy specimen, feeding should come in naturally. i use to keep one before i had sps and it was fine sitting on whatever lps i had. extremely greedy and entertaining. it was one of the fishes i would list as almost indestructible once settled down in a tank :thumbsup:

Mine survived for more than 9 months before dying of Ich that was introduced from an unknown vector. Liked it a lot.

ya, yellow tank also slightly less aggressive if i am not wrong. One thing though, Purple tang i feel is "rarer" as not many purple colour fish... lots of yellow fishes.. like yellow wrasses etc.

yes, you're right I am leaning more on purple tang just worried that it will outgrow the tank very fast. Should be ok with flame and flameback right?

• SRC Member

yes, you're right I am leaning more on purple tang just worried that it will outgrow the tank very fast. Should be ok with flame and flameback right?

My experience is tangs should go in last. Once established, they are rather aggressive with their scalpels.