My First Marine Tank - 120gal FOWLR

pinkspid3r

Finally started my first marine tank..been cycling for 1 day only.

Here is my rockscape so far, comments are very welcome on how to improve the scaping before i put the sand in =D

IMG_0475.jpg

IMG_0476.jpg

IMG_0478.jpg

Thanks to bro Earth for the tank + cabinet and those bros that passed me the rocks and sand. Very much appreciate it.

Just a quick question..i will be using a Skimz skimmer with a recommended water depth of 18cm-24cm in the sump tank for optimal result, but the lowest water height i can get for the sump tank will still exceed the recommended limit, is there anyway i can stack up the skimmer so that it will sit in between 18cm-24cm of water depth?

Thanks for viewing =)

• Like 2

• SRC Member

WoO.. thats great amount of rocks..

it will look fantastic when all stack up with corals.

bro, u might want to look for those plastic material to stack up ur skimmer.

i used to get a N shape of plastic stand from Dasio IMM. only 2 dollars. As it is a N shape, it will not trap Debritus.

more pics pls..

camping here.. :snore:

---2Ft Cube by MarineLife---2008-2009

http://w w w.absolutereef . com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12369

Skimmer: Deltec APF600 feeder by Eheim 1250

Lighting: Solite 150MH 14k

Supplement: Giesemann T5 Razor, Actinic Plus ~22k

Top-up: Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155

Return: Eheim 1260

Reactor: Skimz FR Rowaphos

---------------------------------------------------------

---1.5Ft Cube by Iwarna---2010- ???

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/95312-nano-15-cube/

Tank: 1.5Ft Cube,Sump with Chengai Wood Cabinate

skimmer: Reef Oct Nw110

Return: Eheim 1250

Chiller: Hailea HC150A with feeder Eheim Compact 1000

Reactor: Phosphan with Rowaphos

Lighting: MaxSpec G2 110w,DELighting T5 ATI*2,Giesemann T5 Razor ATI*2

WaveMaker: MP10 VorTech

Top Up : ATO with Tank

-------------------------Your Advice is my Success

Thanks for the info bro..might need to make a trip down to daiso to check it out..although dont really get the N shape plastic thing lol. but might look for other things to substitute..initially was thinking of use my packets of biohome as the base to support it..but thinking it might not be stable.

is that too many rocks? my parents were saying there seems to be too many rocks..although i feel it looks reasonable. Sad to say i will not be having corals in it, too chor for me to maintain. Might add in some easy to maintain corals though..probably like zoas and mushroom, cause will be using my T5HO for lighting..might as well make use of it rather than looking at fishes :P

Hey bro, nice scapes. For a FOWLR it might be abit too much rocks, but no harm done, personel perference. =D I did use egg crates to give the skimmer some height. Maybe stack 2 or 3 eggcrates together?

I Love Stagsss

Thanks tofubox..im thinking of rescaping it to 2 island nows..maybe later go fiddle around with it. I found a unused plastic bowl thing..those with holes for washing vegetables, think it is big enough to support the skimmer. Anything that is plastic will do right?

• SRC Member

Thanks tofubox..im thinking of rescaping it to 2 island nows..maybe later go fiddle around with it. I found a unused plastic bowl thing..those with holes for washing vegetables, think it is big enough to support the skimmer. Anything that is plastic will do right?

bro, take a look at Iceman thread for the island concept. i would suggest you to get some aqua scape to poxy up your rock for island kind of scape. indeed.. very popular nowadays for this kind of look. preferable plastic and not those rusting type material. you might want to minimize of traying detritus for the base support in long run.

---2Ft Cube by MarineLife---2008-2009

http://w w w.absolutereef . com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12369

Skimmer: Deltec APF600 feeder by Eheim 1250

Lighting: Solite 150MH 14k

Supplement: Giesemann T5 Razor, Actinic Plus ~22k

Top-up: Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155

Return: Eheim 1260

Reactor: Skimz FR Rowaphos

---------------------------------------------------------

---1.5Ft Cube by Iwarna---2010- ???

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/95312-nano-15-cube/

Tank: 1.5Ft Cube,Sump with Chengai Wood Cabinate

skimmer: Reef Oct Nw110

Return: Eheim 1250

Chiller: Hailea HC150A with feeder Eheim Compact 1000

Reactor: Phosphan with Rowaphos

Lighting: MaxSpec G2 110w,DELighting T5 ATI*2,Giesemann T5 Razor ATI*2

WaveMaker: MP10 VorTech

Top Up : ATO with Tank

-------------------------Your Advice is my Success

• SRC Member

Nice scaping bro... It look better... For fowlr, angel will be a gd choice... :)

Here r e list of wat angel to start with.

For a starting, try keepin a very n easy angel. Majestic, blueface, asfur n emperor.

Once u getting good in marine, u can try french, queen, king, scribble, africanus or goldflake.

Once u r pro, u can go for conspic, clarion n etc etc etc....

Cheers bro... Hapi reefing... :)

Great Scaping, looks better than before! :groupwavereversed:

I really like the idea of big tanks having islands. Looks more spacious in my opinion.

Just some ideas to share. Instead of the rocks on the left side being stacked up against the glass. How about making a "stand alone" island. Meaning to say, it wont be touching any of the glass, makes maintainence easier too. This island can have large holes, overhangs, nice structures. This will give the fish more options of swimming under the rocks/overhangs, through the rocks to the back, in and out the island. Much like an SPS tank scaping.

Personal perference bro, ur scaping is already :thumbsup: Just sharing ideas so u have more options to play around with.

I Love Stagsss

• SRC Member

nice scaping with lots of rocks in there!

personally i would prefer bigger rocks, something i learnt while trying to scape my previous tanks..

of cos whichever suits u best, most importantly you like it yourself... :thumbsup:

just my 2cents, i would try not to stack too much rock at the side of the glass,

when algae starts to grow at the sides, it'll be quite difficult to clean..

but then again yours is a FOWLR, so shouldnt be a problem with shifting ur rocks if u need to.. :)

My Decomissioned 2ft Cube: (31st March 2011)

Carpe Diem~!!!

My Current 4ft X 2ft X 2ft:

Thanks bross :cheers:

dnsfpl: yeap its a 4x2x2 eh..probably due to camera angle :P

peacemaker & poomoon: can only dream about having reef tank for now :rolleyes: hopefully in the future ya

tofubox: hmm interesting idea..but to make such island think i need to epoxy the rocks and need larger pieces. as im running out of big piece rock..so u can see the 1 on the left side are mostly made up of small pieces. will definitely look into it to see if i can do any modification. saw some great scapes with such placement

kikobananas: lol because no big rocks liao..actually still have 1 piece..but i am not too sure if putting in so many will damage the tank. the algae growth is something which i have not thought off :blink: was thinking of getting a stable structure..hmm now seems abit of headache that so many pieces are leaning against the tank :wacko:

• 5 months later...

Just some updates after 6 months. couldnt resist the temptation of corals thus bought some zoas and mushrooms so not really a fowlr now, but having thoughts of converting to fowlr as i am very tempted to keep an emperor angel. feel free to comments ya =)

the current stocks are

yellow tang x 1

blue tang x 1

flame angel x 1

red firefish x 2

purple firefish x 2 (sadly 1 went missing yesterday, cannot find any traces of it)

clownfish x 2

chromis x 4

bicolor blenny x 1

blue neon goby x 1

do you guys think that i am able to add a golden butterfly, emperor angel and a sohal tang?

post-15345-0-21233700-1315487439_thumb.j

post-15345-0-01766500-1315487560_thumb.j

post-15345-0-58534000-1315487588_thumb.j

Thanks for the comments. Yup the rest of the rocks are inside the sump tank now. i also don like the piece on the right side..find it looks out of the place, but dont know how to adjust or scape it liao..cause i want something to block the overflow compartment as well.

Great touch of scaping you have...imo you are another reefer with good scaping aptitude. All your three different scaping has shown that.

Actually, I kind of like your very first scape...looks the most natural and would have been a great platform for a full mixed reef especially SPS. But since your preference is for fowlr, then i guess anything goes.

Your latest scape is kind of artistic, ecstatically pleasing since it is more towards minimalist.

Great job bro and :welldone:

Treat others the way you wanna be treated...

Thanks for the compliments bros =)

cool guy: im staying in the west side, but dont feel like moving the stuffs inside there for now. been spending too much time meddling with the scape in the past, now just wanna sit back relax :D Actually the piece of lr on the left side with coraline wasnt suppose to be there, i put it in hoping to spread the coraline only. so the rock infront is suppose to be like a small mountain. but apparently the coraline wasnt really growing.

cedric: yeah cause im aiming for more swimming space thus so little rocks. yeap i think the first scape will looks good with lots of corals but keeping mixed reefs will be to chor for me now. maybe in the future i will set up a smaller reef tank.