identification time

GANGlion

i know this isn't the best place to ask about shells but im running out of options. :paiseh:

I recently bought a shell of an animal and i would like to know what type of animal it is. :thanks:

would somebody help me ID this shell?

post-7-1073141269.jpg

If I wasn't so stumped by your pix... I would have scolded you for posting up such a HUGE photo!! :D

In future, pls keep your photo to 700 pixel width!

Anyway, that is one very very unusual shell! I have not found a positive ID for it even in my Coral Reef Field Guide book.

Wish you lots of luck!

• SRC Member
Looks like it could be a chambered nautilus shell with the outer most layer ground off.....

I concur.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

I am positively sure that this is NOT a chambered nautilus.

I, too have a half cross-sectioned chambered nautilus shell and i too could have agreed with both your statements but too bad, it isn't.

P.S.

could it be extinct already?

• SRC Member
Could they have grounded the outer layer that well?

I've seen something like that for sale when I was in Phuket. The shells are all grounded and polished till shiny.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Yeah...no problem. Lots of time, lots of pieces to work on......some of these places can even make "fossils" that look like the real thing....

If you look at some of the scute like structures, there is at least one with a slight angular look - too unnatural if you ask me...an organism that can produce such nice curves should not have that angle. Probably a slight grinding mistake...

Intelligent people talk about ideas......

Average people talk about things......

Small people talk about other people......