can flame angel die from pecking zoa/pali

• SRC Member

i just bought flame angel. 1st day was ok. 2nd day was staring at rock. today, this morning was hyper breathing n died soon after.

wonder what caused it? stomach is nice n fat, no wounds, no broken tail/fin.

wonder if it got stung by pali? n died from that. :(

Tell tale sign is this morning 1 patch of my zoa/pali was closed.

btw, the other flame n bi color still around.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

i just bought flame angel. 1st day was ok. 2nd day was staring at rock. today, this morning was hyper breathing n died soon after.

wonder what caused it? stomach is nice n fat, no wounds, no broken tail/fin.

wonder if it got stung by pali? n died from that. :(

Tell tale sign is this morning 1 patch of my zoa/pali was closed.

btw, the other flame n bi color still around.

Vanuatu is shipping a great deal of them. We sell them as well but animal friendly collected making them more expensive , but our customers don,t mind..

Most Flame Angels are SHIPPED from Hawaii but NOT COLLECTED at Hawaii. Main source ( still) Marshall islands.. O K Davies only shipper there.... Produced by the hundreds with " ill" collecting practice.. all "juiced".. Other source ( more orange in the center) Christmas Island. These are much bigger in size too but less nice. So I do believe your Flame was poor already when you bought it.

• SRC Member

Vanuatu is shipping a great deal of them. We sell them as well but animal friendly collected making them more expensive , but our customers don,t mind..

Most Flame Angels are SHIPPED from Hawaii but NOT COLLECTED at Hawaii. Main source ( still) Marshall islands.. O K Davies only shipper there.... Produced by the hundreds with " ill" collecting practice.. all "juiced".. Other source ( more orange in the center) Christmas Island. These are much bigger in size too but less nice. So I do believe your Flame was poor already when you bought it.

hmm...thats interesting. if we got a reputable collector overseas then we got a better chance of getting pretty fish, n also better chance of survical.

just to side track alittle, this morning another newly bought 6line wrasse died. this is

my 5th one that died after buying.

May I learn what you refer to as a sixline wrasse. we have several fishes ( wrasses) go by that name.... I guess you mean P. hexataenia??

Hexataenia is a US$ 0,40 fish ,so don,t expect to much of it I would say....

Perhaps you should avoid a fish like that or get your stuff elsewhere??

If we talk the same species , they come in from Bali. Bali nowadays uses MORE CYANIDE than the Philippines in their "Glorious days "....

They only name it "Tuba"which is a mixture of Cyanide and squeezed Sea Cucumber.. far more toxic and harmful... Within a few years Bali will be wiped out on fish and only invertebrates left...

• SRC Member

Six Line Wrasse (Pseudocheilinus hexataenia)... It's actually quite hardy fish.. you may want to check if it;s feeding and also been in the LFS for a while. Do note that the six line wrasse can be quite aggressive despite its small size :) U prob need at least 3-4 ft tank.

• SRC Member

Yes that's the name hexa.... It cost S$5 here,

In the morning I find them dead on the sand bed.

Body in perfect condition. As Johan mentioned it could be cynide

poisoning. But from what I heard cynide does leave some red marks

near the stomach??

Incidentally all my past 5 dead 6line wrasse are from the same LFS,

time to change LFS :)

Yes that's the name hexa.... It cost S$5 here,

In the morning I find them dead on the sand bed.

Body in perfect condition. As Johan mentioned it could be cynide

poisoning. But from what I heard cynide does leave some red marks

near the stomach??

Incidentally all my past 5 dead 6line wrasse are from the same LFS,

time to change LFS :)

Cyanide does NOT leave ANY external evidence behind!!! That is utterly C and B!!!!

Cyanide leaves internal superficial burn marks , resembling what happens if you drink your coffee right from the kettle..

It is only the ill transport and stocking that does the lethal harm. This said over using Cyanide in common and "well administered" if one can use that expression here.

However just JUICE sprayed into the water or "gunned" into the water ( Bali) is a matter of overdoses and will lead to a certain death.....

Safe to use is Quinaldine and Hypnodil.... No harm to the fish nor reef.... Common in practice in Florida

Cure for Cyanide collected fish is extreme easy.. Sodium thiosulphate.. Better known as Chlorine remover AKA Aqua-safe...

• SRC Member

Cure for Cyanide collected fish is extreme easy.. Sodium thiosulphate.. Better known as Chlorine remover AKA Aqua-safe...

this is usefull .. dont know that chlorine remover can remove cyanide.. anymore fish curing secret to share...

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices

this is usefull .. dont know that chlorine remover can remove cyanide.. anymore fish curing secret to share...

So far this is the only cure!

Since in in the Philippines, would you recommend QT fish with sodium thiosulfate?

Well, might just work,than again depends on when the fish was collected.. should be done right after collection to get the max out of it...

Just went this morning to Cartemar..... no need to write here as we are most likely the only "pinoy" here on the forum...

A true shame that this still goes on after so many decades...

Well, might just work,than again depends on when the fish was collected.. should be done right after collection to get the max out of it...

Just went this morning to Cartemar..... no need to write here as we are most likely the only "pinoy" here on the forum...

A true shame that this still goes on after so many decades...

I guess its the lack of education of the hobbyist here in our country. Most of the people i know into marine more or less started in cartimar where they got caught by the beauty of nemo and dory.