Wavemaker flowrate and position?

• SRC Member

Hi all!

As usual a newbie like will ask questions and so your every input will be appreciated!:)

Here goes,

Just gotten a seio 320 with 1200l/hr flowrate for my 2x1x1 feet tank. Im planning to keep lps and soft corals in future with a few fishes.:)

1) is the flowrate enough?

2) if not what do u all recommend?(dont mind getting another if it does significant differences and efficincy)

3) where exactly do i place it in the tank side?(have to take evaporation into consideration as im using fanso cannot put too high)

4) which direction should it flow to? Diagonal, straight, downwards, upwards or?

5) is it ok to on 24hrs?( saw mixed reviews on google)

Thank u for your time and pls do give your answers! :)

Fresh fishes and inverts! What's next? To the salty side of marine of course!:)

"Never to part, lest jealous heaven stole our hearts"

• SRC Member

Ohh yaaa just so it helps, im using a HOB filter going at 800l/hr. Thats all the flow output i have in the tank. Do suggest or recommend. Thanks!:)

Umm... I think 1200l/hr output would be a little strong coming from one direction for that size of tank...i'm using hydor nano 900l/hr. I think 2 x 900l/hr on both end would be just nice. And its ok to on 24hrs. Any input from seniors?

The Best Way Is To Keep It Simple.

the seio is just 300l/h more. BUt i would still prefer two hydor nanos. LEave em on 24h a day. The rest of the concerns would be solved with common sense. BUT do not direct the flow of the wavemakers directly at your lps, some of the lps wont like direct flow.

• SRC Member

i think that would be too strong for your tank size. my tank is a little bigger than yours, using tunze nano wavemkr 900l/h output, and i have that on the opposite direction already of my tunze filter flowing out 800l/h, time to time it still messes up my sand and dig holes to bb in certain areas. recommend to have it somehow face up towards water surface, not too much to cause salt spray (inevitable i guess) but at least give you good oxygen exchange as well. goodluck ! :eyebrow:

25 Gal Micro Ocean

• SRC Member

Thank u all for your inputs! First time using wavemaker so really blur and unsure abt it... Hehe!

just experiment and see lor, if too high or too low then adjust accordingly lah....the hob filter will provide enough gaseous exchange. I used a 1500l/h wavemaker in my old reef tank which was slightly narrower, with no prob.

• SRC Member

aiyah, simple solution lah, just go buy the vortech mp10es.

Lol! Yeaa saw a shop using them. will get it when im more experienced. Wouldn't want to get sth of a higher end but cause problem because of my lack of experience using it efficiently. My main concern is more of how strong is enough and the replies before already sort of cleared my thoughts. Its really hard to decide or use common sense on sth im doing or researching for the first time and with so many different views even at the few popular shops i visited. Some say can, some not strong enough. My common sense at this point is if i got corals in future and they're sway nicely, not too strong, good enough. But im wrong as different corals=different needs. That was why i raised my concerns to see if enough and see if my flowrate would suit most corals or kill them instead and i know how easy it is to stress/kill my sensitive shrimps with strong currents whch made me think. Most places on the internet only tells u that a particular species needs low, med or high flowrate which sparked my questions too abt the flowrate.

Hope u understand as im sure u being more experienced, know that insufficient or excess wouldnt be good also, thus that newbie questions of mine.:)

• SRC Member

Hi there Ezie.

If you are keen on doing research, find out all you can before making any purchases. This will help prevent spending money on equipment that are not suitable for your needs.

Since you have purchased the Seio 320, perhaps you could provide more information on your rock scape placement (a photo would be great), whether you have a sand bed or are you going barebottom, and the type of corals you plan to keep? All these will determine the placement of the wavemaker. A general rule of the thumb is if you have minimal or no dead spots (areas with very low or no flow / water movement), and you can keep ditritus suspended in the water column, you are doing good.

Most corals generally do not like direct blasts, but laminar flow. Both poomoon and jamomatt have given good ideas on how to deflect direct flow.

Getting top notch equipment is wonderful, but do consider if it is within your budget. Many have succeeded even with simple equipment, so plan well and get what you need, not what you want.

Cheers! ^_^

• SRC Member

Hi there Ezie.

If you are keen on doing research, find out all you can before making any purchases. This will help prevent spending money on equipment that are not suitable for your needs.

Since you have purchased the Seio 320, perhaps you could provide more information on your rock scape placement (a photo would be great), whether you have a sand bed or are you going barebottom, and the type of corals you plan to keep? All these will determine the placement of the wavemaker. A general rule of the thumb is if you have minimal or no dead spots (areas with very low or no flow / water movement), and you can keep ditritus suspended in the water column, you are doing good.

Most corals generally do not like direct blasts, but laminar flow. Both poomoon and jamomatt have given good ideas on how to deflect direct flow.

Getting top notch equipment is wonderful, but do consider if it is within your budget. Many have succeeded even with simple equipment, so plan well and get what you need, not what you want.

Cheers! ^_^

photo-28.jpg

Hope this pic helps.:) yeap their replies did give a clear idea. i have a 5-7 cm depth of sandbed. Planning to keep polyps, mushroom, zoas and soft corals, all gradually and may add more to the sides if i get more corals.

• SRC Member

Hi there Ezie.

Cheers! ^_^

photo-28.jpg

Hope this pic helps.:) yeap their replies did give a clear idea. i have a 5-7 cm depth of sandbed. Planning to keep polyps, mushroom, zoas and soft corals, all gradually and may add more to the sides if i get more corals.

Thank u for ur input:) appreciate it.

• SRC Member

Looks ok... you can position it to point either upwards or towards the front glass once you add corals.

Thank u very much. :)