Gold Blue Benny vs Millipora

281928_10150244451419599_673354598_7479494_5198132_n.jpg

Just got this little cutie from Irwana. Supposed to be reefsafe as many sites suggested.

However, had seen this guy nipping my millipora tips!! And the nipped part of milipora seems disturbed, and not extending...

Experts out there, any advice?

I also bought this fish. Its not SPS friendly.

I will be decomming my tank this week to catch that darn fish out... :thumbdown:

Anyone wants to adopt?

Main Tank: 3ft x 2ft x 2ft

Sump Tank: 2ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft

Overflow Pump: 4500 l/hr

Lighting: T5 HO Metal Halide

Wavemaker: MP40w

Skimmer: BK Mini 200

Chiller: Arctica DBM-250 1/3hp

Phosphate Reactor: TLF Phosban 150

I also bought this fish. Its not SPS friendly.

I will be decomming my tank this week to catch that darn fish out... :thumbdown:

Anyone wants to adopt?

Bro, do you really need to decomm your tank just to catch it?

Trust me, use a trap and be patient!

Never trust any things that swim

In the big sea...

Best to go fishless in sps tank

Can have a peace of mind and zzz

Soundly

Its the thrill and challenges, that makes this hobby constantly interesting on one hand, and agony on the other!

Most website displayed that this fish is reefsafe. Nothing was mentioned that its hooked onto SPS.

This is the beauty of the marine wild life.

Gosh, lucky u caught it. Was I the person who encouraged u to buy? Pai seh.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

Gosh, lucky u caught it. Was I the person who encouraged u to buy? Pai seh.

Well...your advice was one of the push factor..haha I did a check before adding in, was so-called 'Reefsafe'.

So not your faulth la. :friends:

Guys, just to share that i do have this blenny in my sps frag tank and have not seen it disturb or nip at my sps at all.

What i have observe is that she will go around nipping on life rock for algae, nothing more. I have seen other reefers sps tank with this fish as well, no problem.

I am more incline to believe that there are some form of "acquired taste" behavior of this fish ( in fact for some pigmy angels too ), i.e. they may have already acquired a taste for sps and beginning to treat it as a source of their diet.

Hence it may be a matter of hit or miss for this little cuttie :rolleyes:

However, do take note of the more 'notorious' species like Leopard Blenny, they are almost a certain to making your sps their happy meal :upsidedown: , so it's a NO NO for this one.

Treat others the way you wanna be treated...

• Senior Reefer

as i've said before.

if nipping SPS polyps, it's ok.

if it's nipping the SPS flesh and actually causing tissue recession, then it's bad.

in the wild, SPS have very little to no polyp extension in the wild. it's kept in check by nipping fishes such as butterflies and blennies. so in the tank, P.E is unatural.

P.E is only encountered at night.

but of course, if you're after the polyp extension then by all means remove the fish. but just to let you know that if it's the polyps they are after, it is harmless to the SPS.

Guys, just to share that i do have this blenny in my sps frag tank and have not seen it disturb or nip at my sps at all.

What i have observe is that she will go around nipping on life rock for algae, nothing more. I have seen other reefers sps tank with this fish as well, no problem.

I am more incline to believe that there are some form of "acquired taste" behavior of this fish ( in fact for some pigmy angels too ), i.e. they may have already acquired a taste for sps and beginning to treat it as a source of their diet.

Hence it may be a matter of hit or miss for this little cuttie :rolleyes:

However, do take note of the more 'notorious' species like Leopard Blenny, they are almost a certain to making your sps their happy meal :upsidedown: , so it's a NO NO for this one.

Its great to hear from the expert like you Dr Ang!

Thanks for the sharing! i believe this will provide another view of this Blenny species vs SPS relationship.

:friends:

as i've said before.

if it's nipping the SPS flesh and actually causing tissue recession, then it's bad.

in the wild, SPS have very little to no polyp extension in the wild. it's kept in check by nipping fishes such as butterflies and blennies. so in the tank, P.E is unatural.

but of course, if you're after the polyp extension then by all means remove the fish. but just to let you know that if it's the polyps they are after, it is harmless to the SPS.

Thank you for your sharing of your valuable experience!

Its true that some SPS lovers tend to be more inclined towards P.E. (I admit, im one of them.)

However, with your sharing, i finally understand that its not doing much harm to the SPS as its only nipping on the P.E. portion and not the fresh.

Anyway, its already roaming freely in my sump with lotsa algae for it to feast on. :thumbsup:

I enjoy seeing fishes and sps crabs darting and resting in the safe haven of sps branches. Even my hawk fish can only watch. Any good such fishes, must inform me.

cheers,

mike

Big bro, Green chromis may be common, but i find them nice (especially the black axil green chromis ) , i used to have them and seeing them hiding among the sps branches is a sure enjoyment ^_^

Its great to hear from the expert like you Dr Ang!

Thanks for the sharing! i believe this will provide another view of this Blenny species vs SPS relationship.

Hey bro, it's a pleasure to share with you what i have observed or learned. Sometimes, we need to piece up various info before coming to sort of a conclusion.

Different bros may have unique experiences with the same type of fish, so it is always good to have an open mind. I am not a fish expert here, Lemon is a much experience reefer on fish :rolleyes:

as i've said before.

Hmm Lemon, is it unnatural for SPS to have daytime PE in the wild ? this is something new to me because i remember snorkeling in Philippine marine reserve park seeing millepora having great PE swaying with the current, so pretty and hypnotizing -_- ....may be there arent many butterflies and blennies around that area. But that is beside the point, i do see that SPS ( at least for mille ) have PE in the day time as well.

• Senior Reefer

Hmm Lemon, is it unnatural for SPS to have daytime PE in the wild ? this is something new to me because i remember snorkeling in Philippine marine reserve park seeing millepora having great PE swaying with the current, so pretty and hypnotizing -_- ....may be there arent many butterflies and blennies around that area. But that is beside the point, i do see that SPS ( at least for mille ) have PE in the day time as well.

Depends on location and fish density and SPS as well.

Obligate feeding butterflies don't eat all SPS indiscriminately but peck on specific types. Milliepora are not so much targeted at.

If you notice scrolled colonies, especially tabling acros, their polyps are usually kept. Except for deeper within the colonies where fishes cannot reach. Acropora are food and shelter for juvenile and adult butterflies and almost always swarming with fishes.