New reefing adventure!

amused

• SRC Member

finally I see water and rocks ... but still not completed totally?? where's your skimmer? wow it's a real long time from start to finish. I certainly hope this project of yours is completed by this weekend as u say :))good luck!! really kudos to your patience, I know for sure I can't.

how come no durso? sure noisy la lol. poor wifey of yours having to deal with the gurgling sound ha

soon soon u can start stocking once your skimmer is in and your cycling process is completed !

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Sheldon (TBBT): A little misunderstanding? Galileo and the Pope had a little misunderstanding...

Very nice bro.... :groupwavereversed:

I like the minimum scape too...... :thumbsup:

Keep those excellent photos coming....

Eqpt: Deltec MCE 600, Tunze 6055 with Tunze 7091 controller, Artica 1/15 HP chiller, AquaIllumination Sol Blue LED Light System

2011 resolution : Do it simpler, better and in an easier way!

Skimmer is here!

Slight change of plans...going to have to install it outside the cabinet cos can't install in inside without having to drill a hole in the sump due to the height of the skimmer's return.

So hope to get it setup and bubbling sometime next week :)

post-6875-0-66668800-1318682600_thumb.jp

• SRC Member

eh? Wasn't the skimmer meant to be IN the cabinet? The skimmer's height was not taken into account when the cabinet was made? That is indeed very odd! How can that happen especially when I see from your plans that you had planned for this skimmer all along. :(

So what's going to happen? Adding an extra... side cabinet or something? Gosh... how long more will it take before we see bubbles! bubbles! :)

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Sheldon (TBBT): A little misunderstanding? Galileo and the Pope had a little misunderstanding...

eh? Wasn't the skimmer meant to be IN the cabinet? The skimmer's height was not taken into account when the cabinet was made? That is indeed very odd! How can that happen especially when I see from your plans that you had planned for this skimmer all along. :(

So what's going to happen? Adding an extra... side cabinet or something? Gosh... how long more will it take before we see bubbles! bubbles! :)

yah the skimmer was supposed to be in the cabinet. It can fit inside but the skimmer's output piping is too low to go above the sump and there isn't enough height to sufficiently raise the skimmer :(

Oh well...can't be fitted as planned so will be placing it between the QT and the external part of the sump. Will take some pics once this slight design change is made.

After that...hope to be able to get some glorious bubbles!!!

• SRC Supporter

Hi bro,

Or you can try rising up the skimmer with a DIY stand ? I did the same for my in sump skimmer.

I guess it is common for reefer to experience some "surprises " in this hobby, even through how well planned the setup might be, there will still be a last min changes or alternation, just like my current setup which i have to redo my whole sump tank and piping just to have the "Ideal" setting which i want.

Although i still felt my system is still not 100% perfect, but i guess that's every reefer dream to pursuit the perfect system.

Hi bro,

Or you can try rising up the skimmer with a DIY stand ? I did the same for my in sump skimmer.

I guess it is common for reefer to experience some "surprises " in this hobby, even through how well planned the setup might be, there will still be a last min changes or alternation, just like my current setup which i have to redo my whole sump tank and piping just to have the "Idea" setting which i want.

Although i still felt my system is still not 100% perfect, but i guess that's every reefer dream to pursuit the perfect system.

Hi bro,

Yah the initial intention was to have a stand to raise it up but currently there isn't sufficient height in the cabinet to raise the skimmer.

Wow respect your commitment to see your plan through! Another solution for me is to redo the sump to fit the skimmer, but maybe later down the road :)

cheers to the pursuit of the perfect system! :groupwavereversed:

Oh I just want to thank Ken from MadPetz! Ken if you are reading this...really wanna thank you for going out of your way to help me store my LRs for so much longer than intended!

Very grateful and hope there will be more and more great folks like you in this hobby that are so willing to help newbies like me have the best reefing experience possible :ThanxSmiley: :ThanxSmiley: :ThanxSmiley:

Moving right along...some scaping updates. Really struggled with this one while making a huge mess in the living room :(

post-6875-0-62796900-1318601182_thumb.jp post-6875-0-61030700-1318601203_thumb.jp post-6875-0-68475400-1318601256_thumb.jp

post-6875-0-61712600-1318601150_thumb.jp post-6875-0-87291500-1318601134_thumb.jp post-6875-0-37166200-1318601093_thumb.jp

post-6875-0-16379000-1318601166_thumb.jp

No worries Bro. This is one awesome built, looking forward to more updates and pictures...

• SRC Member

what?! up till now skimmer not in?

how long has it been??? this has got to be a record for the longest tank build I know of! I would have thought tank setups usually take 1-2 days but yours .. win la.

What's the problem? enlighten? has there been issues plaguing this build since day 1? do enlighten so the rest of us have constructive feedback and learn if you would be so kind to share la ;) do give a review once complete.

good luck amused!!!!

Cheers, ;)

Desi

Some updates :)

Lights were installed during the week :groupwavereversed:

post-6875-0-68972000-1319305175_thumb.jp

Skimmer still not installed yet so I decided to fire up the skimmer intended for the QT tank :)

post-6875-0-19497700-1319305303_thumb.jp

Nice tank, possible to show details of how your light set is hung and may I know who did the light set for you?

Skimmer shipment delayed?

• SRC Member

Finally! Tank is here...but still sump-less...can't wait for her to be complete! But vital parts are not here yet like the skimmer and return pump :(

Will try and find some time to take and upload pics :)

Heh sorry bro, what I meant was the sump is not ready yet :) tank maker said need about 1 more week

Hey bro, i just read your tank thread from page 1, and i realise my name is already on your first page.. :lol:

I must say I really like the design of your tank! Can't wait for it to be up and running...

Just curious, I noticed it has been about 1month since the arrival of your tank but how come it's still not up and running yet? A fellow reefer friend of mine got his tank few days ago and within 3 days its already up and running, ready for cycling.. I hope your tank is not done by the same tank maker as mine... My tank started running 3weeks later than my initial plan because of delays and last min cancellations that i always face with my tank maker.. It was a very bad experience for me...

by the way, care to share who is building your tank?

Your tank came first, sump much later..

your experience seem to be very similar to mine :angry:

My Decomissioned 2ft Cube: (31st March 2011)

Carpe Diem~!!!

My Current 4ft X 2ft X 2ft:

• SRC Member

now that I look back at your thread..

you had first posted on 6th of august...

your tank came in on the 26th of September as per your posting ( say give or take 2-3 days assuming the day you posted wasn't the day of delivery)...

and till TODAY the 23rd of OCTOBER.. it's STILL not 100% complete. :blink::blink::cry:

.... I think If I were you, I would have screamed a LONG time ago. Wilson is right..THIS hobby is MADE for you!!! :paiseh:

I wouldn't want to go through the same long process.. maybe being of the fairer sex, I tend to not want an incomplete project sitting in my house and multiple visits to get it done. Come on, it's not a Nuclear bomb we're building here.... how How Long can it take?? ?? Or as Jeremy Clarkson from Top Gear would say : How HARD can it be?! :upsidedown:

My 4 footer setup with full floor to ceiling cabinet work, sump, pipings, all took 2 days and that's plus filling with NSW to start cycling. only my skimmer had a 3 month delay but RD was kind enough to T Loan me a skimmer whilst waiting for my Deltec to come in. :) kudos to RD

So who did your lightings? :)

Cheers, ;)

Desi

• SRC Member

1 month and the tank still not done? I think it must be very stressful for you and your family... I think you should share your experience and what difficulties you have faced. Good luck and look forward to seeing the finished tank!

On a brighter note, any thoughts of what to stock?

Hi bros and sis!

Sorry for the delayed updates...will do my best to answer the various queries and post more detailed pictures as soon as I have a little more time (been busy with work and the tank!).

For now, here are some updates on the installed skimmer (completed on Sunday) :)

post-6875-0-04660200-1319472417_thumb.jp

post-6875-0-84337800-1319472399_thumb.jp

post-6875-0-53762800-1319472446_thumb.jp

Tank maker will be back in a couple of days to finish up the cabinet to conceal the skimmer, have the return from the skimmer channeled away from the refugium, and to do a proper return from sump to QT :D

Next on the agenda is power cable management! not really looking forward to it -_-

• SRC Member

great stuff dude.. am amazed as well as amused as too how long this has been dragging on for you.. please do not let this pull down your passion for reefing! Reef on!:thumbsup:

Keep the updates coming and looking forward to see you stocking up!

A man with a reef tank is a man with an empty wallet...

Good Skimmer! Already producing skimmate.. eeks..

Remember to have clear view of ur Skimmer collection cup. Else you have to open the cabinet time check every time Bro.

Nice!

Deltec is the best :) hahah

Yes! aways appreciated the reliability of Deltec :) Started skimming green stuff in about 15 mins after it was powered up.

However it is a little nosier than I was expecting...maybe cos it is placed on top of a wooden structure?

Might look at getting a rubber base for it...any thoughts? :friends:

great stuff dude.. am amazed as well as amused as too how long this has been dragging on for you.. please do not let this pull down your passion for reefing! Reef on!:thumbsup:

Keep the updates coming and looking forward to see you stocking up!

thanks bro :)

I think it might be the passion for reefing that is fuelling my patience in this hobby...hope there is sufficient fuel left after all this! :erm:

Hope to have the first batch of swimmers in before december :)

The Lightset looks good. Can show more details of the rail/bracket?

Btw your patience is admirable, this hobby was made for you!

:)

Nice tank, possible to show details of how your light set is hung and may I know who did the light set for you?

Skimmer shipment delayed?

Yup I'm happy with the rig for the light set...I think it is as neat as can possibly be and the credit goes to Reef Systems :)

I'll try and get more detailed pictures of the setup soon!