new to marine fish

hi i am new to marine fish here.. my dad use to own a 4ft tank last time but no longer having nw... i just bought a 2ft cube tank from a online fourm with everything inside like wavemaker, skimmer, reactor, aquasonic light and return pump.. i would like to have some live coral inside do i ned to get a chiller? my living room temp is around 30c when is a hot weather but when is rainin season like this few month my livin room temp is around 26c to 27c,my freshwater tank is 2.5ft nw..hope to get some help on should i get a chiller anot.. thanks for helping...

hi i am new to marine fish here.. my dad use to own a 4ft tank last time but no longer having nw... i just bought a 2ft cube tank from a online fourm with everything inside like wavemaker, skimmer, reactor, aquasonic light and return pump.. i would like to have some live coral inside do i ned to get a chiller? my living room temp is around 30c when is a hot weather but when is rainin season like this few month my livin room temp is around 26c to 27c,my freshwater tank is 2.5ft nw..hope to get some help on should i get a chiller anot.. thanks for helping...

If you wish to keep corals, a chiller is a must for the corals to do well.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

• SRC Member

you won't go wrong with artica or teco chiller.... if budget is a constraint, look around at pasar malam section for second owned ones. there are other cheaper ones like hailea or resun but you have to bear with the noise levels and in most cases, thermostats go bonkers..

you won't go wrong with artica or teco chiller.... if budget is a constraint, look around at pasar malam section for second owned ones. there are other cheaper ones like hailea or resun but you have to bear with the noise levels and in most cases, thermostats go bonkers..

wa... which one is the less noise? wat is the price around?

• SRC Member
have been tryin to look for a second hand one but still cant find ... nt lookin for too ex as i have too much tanks at home... >< "too many mouth to feed" :P
the Auntie shop in front of ah Beng at pasir ris. The Auntie got sell 2nd hand chillers

Tank size:36"x36"x24"

Return pump" 2x Reef Octo 5000

Skimmer:BK Double Cone 200 on Reef Octopus DC 5500s.

Wavemaker:2xVortech MP40wES

Chemical filtration:1xeducator FR(biopellets)

Chiller:1hp Daikin compressor.

Lighting:2 x Kessil A360we

Auto topup system: JBJ ATO + new jet 1200

Dosing system: Kamoer 3 channel.

Additives: ESV 2 part.

Power consumption

2XReef Octo 5000: 120watts

BK skimmer:50watts

2xVortech wavemaker:70watts

Daikin compressor:775watts

Lighting:180watts

Ato system:21watts

Exhaust fans:16watts

Refugium light:27watts

If you really want to keep corals (which I am sure most of us will ! the addiction of corals is always there!) , then chiller is a must... If you just intend to keep a FOWLR (fish and live rocks only..) then it doesn't really matter. Look up in the buy/sell thread for 2nd hand... Sometimes you just have to wait for a good 1 to pop up... if not, get a new hailea, it's not that expensive... should be in the range of 300 - 400.

1/5 or better still, 1/4 horsepower chiller would be sufficient.

the idea is that the higher hp, the shorter time it takes to cool, hence eletricity savings

so tat mean the higher the number the better huh? as i saw alot like 1/20 like tat .. so many number behind.. so the bigger number the better or the smaller number the better? @@ blur blur

for 2ft, recommend 1/10 to 1/5 horsepower.

for 3ft, 1/5 to 1/4 horsepower.

for 4ft, 1/4 to 1/3 horsepower.

for 5ft and above, 1/3 to 1 horsepower or higher.

this can be a general guide because other factors like heat load of your setup, placement, etc will affect requirement. hope this help.

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

hi sea cucumber, thanks for the info... maybe its take some time for me to get the chiller ahhaha... i am still waitin for my tank to come too ... ahhhahaha thanks for the help everyone... anyway will try to look for the "ah bang" shop... anyone have the full address?

You can find most marine LFS directory in the forum thread.

for 2ft, recommend 1/10 to 1/5 horsepower.

for 3ft, 1/5 to 1/4 horsepower.

for 4ft, 1/4 to 1/3 horsepower.

for 5ft and above, 1/3 to 1 horsepower or higher.

this can be a general guide because other factors like heat load of your setup, placement, etc will affect requirement. hope this help.

thanks alot... but hw much is the pricing??? do u knw?

You can go to the sponsor website to checkout the price amd gauge. Good sponsor website includes reef depot, Madpetz, aquamarine, etc. once u decide which to go for, then go to those recommended place to compare price. Do check on warranty and support cos some are parallel importer but as long support is there, it should fine. quote name="veronica" post="1093168" timestamp="1361782300"]thanks alot... but hw much is the pricing??? do u knw?

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

You can go to the sponsor website to checkout the price amd gauge. Good sponsor website includes reef depot, Madpetz, aquamarine, etc. once u decide which to go for, then go to those recommended place to compare price. Do check on warranty and support cos some are parallel importer but as long support is there, it should fine.

quote name="veronica" post="1093168" timestamp="1361782300"]thanks alot... but hw much is the pricing??? do u knw?

• SRC TOTQ Winner

Hi. I just replied your PM before seeing your thread. Don't jump in getting the chiller now. Cycle your tank first and introduce 1-2 fishes after that. Since you like clown fishes, you can look for a pair after your cycling is done. The coral that you want to keep is probably a anemone which clowns host. You'll also need to do reading on what type of clowns host on what anemone. Best if you could meet and talk to reefers who stay near you. Where do you live? We are all very friendly and helpful bunch of people :friends: . Right bros :cheers:

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381