Do you still need Skimmer with Clarisea?

Cedric Ko

Hi all,

I've recently set up a new tank with the Clarisea SK-5000. Anyone have any experience with it and whether the skimmer is really not needed? As I have a skimmer but so far it is not getting anything out and plan to get rid of it to free up space in sump.

• SRC Member
Hi all,
I've recently set up a new tank with the Clarisea SK-5000. Anyone have any experience with it and whether the skimmer is really not needed? As I have a skimmer but so far it is not getting anything out and plan to get rid of it to free up space in sump.

just sharing my tots, how old ur tank and ur bioload? if no skimate, got few reasons, ur bioload too low vs ur tank size, u never tune the skimmer properly, i tune the bubble until the collection cup neck, ur skimmer not rated properly or its not good skimmer, those very good skimmer using needle pump to create those very fine bubbles with higher surface area to bring out the skimmate.

Got trend out there saying no need skimmer but i probably wont run without 1, its more for contingencies i tink cos got stuff die think the skimmer can quickly skim out the DOC quickly or in case of overdose meds, the skimmer also help i tink. Plus it aerates the water and bring up pH.

Just my opinion, do wat u think is best for u, many paths to success. Happy reefing bro!

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app
  • Like 1

• SRC Member

i would never run a reef tank without skimmer. As much as there is debate that you don't need one to have a successful reef tank, having one helps ALOT in making your reef tank successful.

Edited by Evolutionz

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

• SRC Supporter

How long has your tank been running? The skimmer won't have much skimmate if bio load is very low (i.e. little organic waste or when the tank is new/cycling)

A Clarisea is a replacement for filter sock/wool - a 1st stage of mechanical filtration. Depending on how you set yours up, a roll should last quite a while.  For my 5ft, it lasts about 1.5 to 2 months. Super convenient.

The skimmer is to remove organic waste (which is not picked up by the clarisea/wool/filter sock). It also provides a lot of needed oxygen for the tank since its churning the water quite a bit.

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• SRC Member
Hi all,
Using a roller filter can indeed significantly reduce the waste organics due to the finer filter used. Itcertainly does a better job of lifting the organics out of the water. From my own experience I had to reduce the size of my skimmer as the larger skimmer I originally had (which was oversized for the tank) seriously struggled to produce anything meaningful except micro bubbles as there simply wasn't enough organics to support it. Now I have a skimmer that is rated exactly for the tank size I am able to pull out some nice skimmate. Obviously there are many factors at play, bio load, other filtration etc. But it doesn't surprise me that a roller filter would partially shut down your skimmer.

On 8/13/2020 at 12:10 PM, Otaku Reefer said:

just sharing my tots, how old ur tank and ur bioload? if no skimate, got few reasons, ur bioload too low vs ur tank size, u never tune the skimmer properly, i tune the bubble until the collection cup neck, ur skimmer not rated properly or its not good skimmer, those very good skimmer using needle pump to create those very fine bubbles with higher surface area to bring out the skimmate.

Got trend out there saying no need skimmer but i probably wont run without 1, its more for contingencies i tink cos got stuff die think the skimmer can quickly skim out the DOC quickly or in case of overdose meds, the skimmer also help i tink. Plus it aerates the water and bring up pH.

Just my opinion, do wat u think is best for u, many paths to success. Happy reefing bro!

My tank has cycled for about a month but I have already shifted all my corals and fishes to the new tank as I've ported over almost all my media and marinepure blocks over.

Tank Specs:

300L including sump (3ft by 2ft short lagoon tank)

Have chaeto running in refugium

Clarisea SK-5000

3 no. of Marinepure blocks

I have a C7 bubble Magus (previous tank don't catch much, as you mentioned, it might be because I didn't set it properly, do you think it is okay for my new tank? I know its oversized for my previous 2ft tank)

Current livestocks are: 

1 Yellow Tang

1 Lawnmower Blenny

1 Mandarin Dragonet (been with me for almost 2 years, would assume my pods colony is sufficient)

1 Clownfish

Couple Inverts (scarlet hermits, pom pom crab etc)

1 Seahare

1 Watchman Goby

On 8/13/2020 at 1:44 PM, SubzeroLT said:

How long has your tank been running? The skimmer won't have much skimmate if bio load is very low (i.e. little organic waste or when the tank is new/cycling)

A Clarisea is a replacement for filter sock/wool - a 1st stage of mechanical filtration. Depending on how you set yours up, a roll should last quite a while.  For my 5ft, it lasts about 1.5 to 2 months. Super convenient.

The skimmer is to remove organic waste (which is not picked up by the clarisea/wool/filter sock). It also provides a lot of needed oxygen for the tank since its churning the water quite a bit.

19 hours ago, R0B said:

Using a roller filter can indeed significantly reduce the waste organics due to the finer filter used. Itcertainly does a better job of lifting the organics out of the water. From my own experience I had to reduce the size of my skimmer as the larger skimmer I originally had (which was oversized for the tank) seriously struggled to produce anything meaningful except micro bubbles as there simply wasn't enough organics to support it. Now I have a skimmer that is rated exactly for the tank size I am able to pull out some nice skimmate. Obviously there are many factors at play, bio load, other filtration etc. But it doesn't surprise me that a roller filter would partially shut down your skimmer.

Thanks for your info! will take your advice and still include a skimmer (C7 bubble magus) to my new tank!

On 8/13/2020 at 1:10 PM, Evolutionz said:

i would never run a reef tank without skimmer. As much as there is debate that you don't need one to have a successful reef tank, having one helps ALOT in making your reef tank successful.

thanks for input! will continue using my skimmer then haha.

On 8/13/2020 at 12:11 PM, coralclams said:

U using sk5000 for how many footer tank . How long does ur roll last ?

My tank is 3ft by 2ft, add up sump is about 300L tank. Currently its the starting and I've brought over my rocks and all from my old setup so there is alot of debris flying around most of the time due to my shifting. It has used up half a row of the normal row (not the XL one) in about 2 weeks but I do open the valve at the side to try and maximise the row as much. 

In conclusion, I believe a normal row will last me about 1.5-2 months in a normal setting and for the XL, about 2-3 months. But I must say, the water clarity is much better when compared to the normal socks mechanical filter!

18 hours ago, Evolutionz said:

You have a relatively low fish bioload for your tank size, ur curve 7 should work better as well! 

I do plan to add more bioload as the time goes by. I'm just slowly adding things in so that I don't overload it too quickly. Although the fishes I'll try to add them all in 1 shot as I know they'll start killing each other otherwise