Phang's tank

Tanzy

• SRC Member

The is Phang's tank with his latest light setup. 400W Bluelines with HPS/MH ballasts on each side and 250 Iwasaki 6500K with MV ballast center. Overall effect is a more pleasant blue than the previous harsh yellow.

post-7-1041701266.jpg

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

Sweet.

If I were him... I would raise the saki much higher so the banding problem wouldn't be that obvious. The light spread will be wider and help to blend the blues and yellows better. And maybe angle the reflectors for the blue so more blue will fill the centre.

I noticed he put a glass pane under the lights? Be careful, it could crack under heat. I had a glass pane for my PL lights and even that cracked!

Also... I couldn't stand the amount of cleaning I have to do due to dust and water spots and salt creep.

• SRC Member

Geez, 1000+ watt of power seems to be a bit of a overkill unless he plans to keeps lots of sps corals. The light bill must be tremondous, not to mention the heat generated.

How big is the tank? I am guessing around 200 gallons. i think the rule of thumb for MH lighting is 3-5 watts per gallon.

As AT said, the light band between the 6.5k and 20K seems a bit too defined. Why don't you consider putting all 10K bulbs, and adding actinics for the blue?

JMHO

• SRC Member

AT,

Very funny! ;)

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member
Sweet.

If I were him... I would raise the saki much higher so the banding problem wouldn't be that obvious. The light spread will be wider and help to blend the blues and yellows better. And maybe angle the reflectors for the blue so more blue will fill the centre.

I noticed he put a glass pane under the lights? Be careful, it could crack under heat. I had a glass pane for my PL lights and even that cracked!

Also... I couldn't stand the amount of cleaning I have to do due to dust and water spots and salt creep.

I was actually thinking of lowering the Bluelines once my Canopy comes in... the plank holding my bulbs would be 10 inches away from water surface... might lower the Bluelines 2 inches down and adjust the reflectors to allow more 20kk light to the mid section....

Pospeh,

The Bluelines would create enough blues in my system...... the SPS are already looking very different under their influence....

BTW, the blueline bulb are classified as 10kk..... a very blue 10kk bulb.... <_<

Keeping the Saki for the sake of high PAR...... growth....

You better make sure that your ballasts are off the floor.... don't wait for water spillage to give you an instant hair perm.

Also ground your reflectors and are you using single core wires with adequate insulation? With that much of voltage going through your system, you should have the best precautions.

• SRC Member

If you are refering to those wires with insulation for all earth neutral and live under one insulation, then yap...... i'm using those wires...

Have insulated the ballast, the sales person from Eye highly recommends it....

The reflectors are not in connection with any metallic items... well, no harm insulating it though.....

Will get a huge gearbox soon to keep all the ballast inside..... ;)

• 7 months later...
  • SRC Member

Who pays the electric bill? hahaha gd setup for corals

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

• SRC Member
HOW MUCH$$ULD U suggest for doing a 3ft as beautiful as yours?

And what's the fan-like ting in the tank[dun tell me it's the wave maker]!!!

BTW how long did u take to do up yur tank as in it is now?[years]?]

I think his tank is enough to buy a Honda Vtech SIr :) if i am not wrong when we counted other time ... :D

• SRC Member

That's a Tunze Stream powerhead.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

It's a underwater fan to cool the fish when it gets too hot.

post-36-1093875548.jpg