In Loving Memory...

davechee

Reefing is like an open book with blank pages, whatever experiences you've learnt will be edged in it, be it good or bad. You'll be stronger with these experiences.

Reef on buddy

• Senior Reefer

one of the nicest FOWLR tanks out there!

i'm not a fan of FOWLR tanks at all but this one's nice!

the guentheri butterflyfish caught my eye and it's really beautiful.

sorry to hear about your A.T's demise.

just note that ich is not something that is unavoidable. with proper quarantine separate from the system, ich is totally avoidable and something that is easily controlled. however quarantine tanks are a hassle for busy singaporeans and i'm also guilty for not practicing.

A proper quarantine takes 6 weeks. Who has that kind of time to add one fish only after every six weeks. Not to mention every new live rock or coral added needs 6 weeks each too. Its just not very practical... :wacko:

• SRC Member

Will certainly be looking at doing QT or getting fish from other reefers to minimise the scourge of ich. Would dips in copper before introducing to the main tank be effective?

I've lost about half of the fish already, including the butterflies. I'm now left with the following:

2 purple tangs (but these are not doing so well and I've taken them out and placed them in my sump - will try to post a video of them later so I can get some assistance - they've got white patches, fins are frayed, body looks a little bloated and can't swim properly)

3 yellow tangs

2 flame angels

2 algae blennies

2 doctors

blue tang

unicorn tang

sohal tang

damsels

chromises

DT is currently being hypo-ed (SG 1.009)and will stay that way till December. Apart from the PTs, the rest of the fish look okay and are eating well. Fingers crossed.

Am monitoring ammonia and pH daily. Will probably do a 20% water change over the weekend. Also need to buy more bacteria to dose as well.

• SRC Member

Lemon, i think for Tangs, esp AT, quarantine won't help, prob cos the ich to occur even faster as AT needs lots of flow and swimming space. Anyway, knowing Dave, he will be back with a vegeance and stock up some nice fishes :) Just a small setback for great things to come!

• SRC Member

amazing length + size of the tank for fishes to swim happily like in the ocean!

very beautiful FOWLR!!!! settle down and continue with another small AT once tank is stable.

impressive setup!!

Thanks bro.

It is more accurate to say the tank LOOKED nice and impressive. Current state is very pathetic - fewer fishes, fewer rocks, algae on the glass which needs to be scraped off. Thankfully the fish remaining appear to be doing well.

Now engaged in post-disaster recuperation, recovery and rebuilding work. Will be a while yet before I start to add new fish. Doing hyposalinity in the main tank has been quite an experience and not something I'd wish for anyone else to have to go through. Not only did I lose the fishes I wanted so desperately to save, I also lost a couple of others which didn't appear to be suffering from ich whose biological systems were probably wrecked by osmotic shock or ammonia poisoning or both. :pinch:

A bit like having to deal with women - there will always something that catches you offguard (even with the best planning). :lol:

• SRC Member

That AT was definitely happy in that tank.... what a beauty!!

One bro here told me that once I have the AT in my tank, I wouldn't notice the other fishes anymore. I have to say that that statement is absolutely correct. When I had the AT, I didn't notice the other fishes. Now that I don't have the AT, I notice that the AT is no longer there.

Really kena poisoned already. :paiseh:

Bro,

In my humble opinion, your tank looked a little overstocked. With all these large heavy polluting tangs plus numerous other small fish, you might have a real problem keeping water quality high in a long run. You might want to consider keeping only your favourite "must have" fishes and at a smaller size. The water volume in our tanks are really only small bodies of water in a closed system. Partial water changes can also only do so much.

QT of fish also only works provided your DT is not already infected. The slightest stress (aggression from other established fish)on a new fish (especially a tang) will almost certainly cause an ich infection which could rapidly spiral out of control in an overcrowded tank under less than pristine conditions.

Just my two cents :peace:

One bro here told me that once I have the AT in my tank, I wouldn't notice the other fishes anymore. I have to say that that statement is absolutely correct. When I had the AT, I didn't notice the other fishes. Now that I don't have the AT, I notice that the AT is no longer there.

Really kena poisoned already. :paiseh:

I would advise you to dose copper in your tank since it is a folwr tank. Better for you to introduce new fishes too. especially now a lot of AT in the market.

• SRC Member

Bro,

In my humble opinion, your tank looked a little overstocked. With all these large heavy polluting tangs plus numerous other small fish, you might have a real problem keeping water quality high in a long run. You might want to consider keeping only your favourite "must have" fishes and at a smaller size. The water volume in our tanks are really only small bodies of water in a closed system. Partial water changes can also only do so much.

QT of fish also only works provided your DT is not already infected. The slightest stress (aggression from other established fish)on a new fish (especially a tang) will almost certainly cause an ich infection which could rapidly spiral out of control in an overcrowded tank under less than pristine conditions.

Just my two cents :peace:

Agree. Plus I probably stocked up too fast. :ThanxSmiley:

My list of favourites / must haves is gradually evolving. :cheers:

• SRC Member

I would advise you to dose copper in your tank since it is a folwr tank. Better for you to introduce new fishes too. especially now a lot of AT in the market.

I'm wary of using copper because I still want the option of keeping a few corals as well.