Hon Kit's Reef Tank

honkit

• SRC Member

Impressive! The kitkat so red... Slurp!!

(click to see my tank thread)

Skimmer : Deltec SC2560

Chiller : Sanyo 1HP Compressor with copper coil

Lighting : Ecotech Radion XR30w x 3 + 5 ft ATI power module 4 tubes

Dosing - Bubble magnus 7 channel

Main pump - reef octopus 7000

FR : Skimz phosphate reactor + FR45 Biopellet reactor

Wavemaker - Vortech 3X MP40W + 1 x sun sun

Really getting more & more stunning!! :bow:

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

Beautiful!

Specs

Return pump: 2 x Eheim 1260 (with 1 pumped to chiller before returning to main)
Chiller: Hailea HC-500A (1/2 hp)
Skimmer: Deltec SC2060
Lightings: 8 x 24W ATI Sunpower T5 fixture
Wavemakers: Vortech MP40, MP10, Tunze nanostream 6045
Additives: TLF C-balance (2 parts Ca and Alk) via Kamoer 3 channel dosing pump; Polyp-lab Reef Resh; FM color elements

• SRC Member

Drooling.....

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Crystal glass 53" x 22" x 17" rimless (inclusive of 12"x22"x17" IOS)

Life Reef HVS3-24 with mazzei venturi

ATI Sunpower 8 x 39w T5 (4 x Blue plus, 2 x Aqua blue special, Coral plus)

ZET Light 3 x 3w LEDs moonlight

Arctica 1/3 Hp + 1/4 Hp back up

Vortech mp40w x 3 + Jebao wp25

Eheim 1264 x 3 + water blaster 5000

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

Kamoer 3 channel + CaCl2 + NaHCo3

150L Refugium with DSB, miracle mud, cheato

2ft T5 x 2 light tubes for refugium

• SRC Supporter

Glad on your success with the abrotanoides as not many have been successful with this species. The other that I had witnessed is a wild specimen currently kept under 400 watt halides.

The discussion I had with you previously on how maricultured specimens, being grown nearer the shorelines 'might have' attributed to these being a little easier to maintain compared to their wild counterparts.

Do keep us updated on how you manage this specimen so that more reefers would dare venture into attempting this so considered difficult species.

And yes, some updates and pictures of the hoek would be a great addition to this "thread of colours".

Glad on your success with the abrotanoides as not many have been successful with this species. The other that I had witnessed is a wild specimen currently kept under 400 watt halides.

The discussion I had with you previously on how maricultured specimens, being grown nearer the shorelines 'might have' attributed to these being a little easier to maintain compared to their wild counterparts.

Do keep us updated on how you manage this specimen so that more reefers would dare venture into attempting this so considered difficult species.

And yes, some updates and pictures of the hoek would be a great addition to this "thread of colours".

Will take a pic of my two hoeksemai frags this upcoming weekend and post them here.

Regarding the abratonoids, I think ensuring good water quality is even more paramount for it vis-a-vis other acropora species in order to maintain its red colouration. Of course, if it is placed less than 12 inches away from a 400W halide bulb with a lumenarc reflector, one can possibly get away with slightly less pristine water quality - that's the advantage of high powered lighting.

The interesting thing about abratonoids is that depsite its fussy requirements, it is an aggressive acropora and in my tank has burnt two of its neighbours i.e. a.prostata and a.sameonsis - its polyps can extend considerably when lights are off. Hence, I had to relocate its closest neighbours away by another inch or two.

• SRC Member

are you able to take a pic of the abratonoids in full? want to see how you place it..

mine is placed about 2 inches below the water but the way it branches out, i cant ensure all areas can receive maximum light exposure.

mine's not as red as yours now.. but i'm hoping it will turn our nicely eventually. its been about 1 week...

fortunately the polyps are extending now and i try not to touch it. although i did knock it down once when placing recent Fiji purchase over the weekend.. yiaks.

(click to see my tank thread)

Skimmer : Deltec SC2560

Chiller : Sanyo 1HP Compressor with copper coil

Lighting : Ecotech Radion XR30w x 3 + 5 ft ATI power module 4 tubes

Dosing - Bubble magnus 7 channel

Main pump - reef octopus 7000

FR : Skimz phosphate reactor + FR45 Biopellet reactor

Wavemaker - Vortech 3X MP40W + 1 x sun sun

Awesome thread, bro. Just read the entire thread in one session. You have very impressive SPS collection, those that are hardly seen over here in Msia.

Keep it up :)

Thanks Alex. Come to Iwarna and cheong the next Fiji sps shipment in a few months' time.