Fellow newbies be careful!!!

To all my fellow newbies like me....though its important to share something with you.

Please because full when buying saltwater from certain LFS! today I bought 1 bag of saltwater from an LFS near my house for a dollar. The storekeeper told me that the saltwater is gotten straight from the farm and not used in any tanks. So today when I got home after doing a 10% water change, there's still a lot left In the bag, so I tested the water and guess what?

Nitrite wasn't zero!!! Nitrates were 5! I tought water change was to romove nitrates from the system not to add more to it? correct me if I'm wrong I'm still a newbie.

I'm not gonna say which LFS it is cos they're doing a business. Just wanted to share this you guys. Is it normal for this? the last time I bought saltwater from irwana and tested: everything is zero all perfect.

• SRC Member

Think should be normal.. in the natural sea water.. nitrate tends to be higher. Thats why i use salt mix.. if u wan risk ur live stocks. Theres nitrate in water plus nitrate in tank.. h2o no3 + no3 in present tank = Danger! Just some logic explaination imo. Unless ur tank has the capability to remove no3 n po4. u need to add supplements to nsw as they are at very low levels.. cal n mag etc..

Tank Theme: Mixed Reef with clams

3 feet tank with IOS

Eheim 1262

K3 wavemaker x1

Lightings: T5 actinic blue x4 , T5 white x4

Skimmer: BMQQ

Artica 1/5

Dosing: NA

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reefing is sharing. People with rotten mouth is sure a loser for life as expected. When a tomato gets rotten, you can nvr save it.. Throw it away before it infect the good ones.

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

Guys,

Please note that NSW is "alive" with plankton, microbes and bacteria and therefore it is not possible to have pristine condition as freshly mixed synthetic salt-mix and water.

As the NSW age, these organisms will flourish and/or die depending on the condition of the NSW storage and food supply available.

Some buy NSW is to save cost on salt-mix.

I uses NSW when I am cycling 1st to save cost and most importantly, I wanted to add some of the micro-organisms found in NSW which I belief cannot be found in synthetic mix. However, as my tank progresses, I prefer to use salt-mix to maintain the parameters.

Also as NSW is harvested from nature, you cannot have guaranteed parameters:

* when NSW are harvested during rain, the NSW will have low salinity

* when NSW is harvested during full moon, you may get gametes and eggs of corals and fishes

* when NSW is harvested when there is a recent discharge of waste, you will get harmful chemical

So it is not fair to blame the LFS as what they can do to to NSW is limited:

* most NSW are harvested in coastal water that are deem clean by the contractor

* most LFS will pump the NSW into a large darken container for settlement of impurity before bagging

* some LFS will include some filters/media to polish the water before bagging

Hope that helps.

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

Good clarification and very detailed. Something to add in.. Still water in bag that for too long may not have any planktons or bacteria.

Tank Theme: Mixed Reef with clams

3 feet tank with IOS

Eheim 1262

K3 wavemaker x1

Lightings: T5 actinic blue x4 , T5 white x4

Skimmer: BMQQ

Artica 1/5

Dosing: NA

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reefing is sharing. People with rotten mouth is sure a loser for life as expected. When a tomato gets rotten, you can nvr save it.. Throw it away before it infect the good ones.

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

speaking from experience and from US Site and like to share here :

I think using NSW is ok, It think it depend on the live stock you are keeping also. (SPS need very good water parameter and consistences, so it might be at risk)

Is good to test a few round on your current NSW source first, look for for consistence supplier and then decide. Eliminate those supplier that always give bad water parameter.

Even if you add in NSW, you still need to check for PH , SG, KH and add them accordingly.

A good biological system will help to lower nitrate and P04 fast.

I have no problem using NSW for my LPS , fishes and easy care sps like Monti,

In fact NSW has beneficial elements and bacteria.

just sharing here.

For fun I measure the seawater at low tide and at high tide for nitrates, it's 2.5ppm and 0.2ppm respectively. Use at ur own risk. Just to gauge the nitrates in the sea. Cheers

u mean you collect the water near the beach?

I wonder where does our supplier draw our NSW from? anyone can advise?

What I hear say hear say is that usually those nsw that we are getting from lfs are drawn 15-20m from surface water. Locally the better quality water are from somewhere near sister island.

Ps/ above are hear say from my fishing kakis I am not sure how true this information is and did not bother to find out more cos I'm always using salt mix

I am also using NSW and my LPS coral are doing well.

Need to add in KH and PH buffer and other additives such as Cal , Mg and adjust to idea. because normal NSW parameter usually lower

Just for your guideline to share. I check NSW periodically before use from my reputable regular supplier before use in my tank.

SG 1.021 refractrometer

Kh 8dkh api

Calcium 310ppm salifert

Magnesium 1100ppm salifert

NO3 0ppm api absolute yellow

PO4 0ppm hanna

No matter what i will run pass my water 3 jerrycan through carbon block to my big drum (preventive measure). Then add in mag chloride and calcium chloride to beef up according to chemical calculator to make mg 1400ppm n ca 400ppm. Add in further tropic marine salt to adjust sg at 1.026 as my tank is sps dominated. Cycle water, wait for at least 12 prior in using.

All my LS doing great except pink color sps.

Just a question to any expert, any additive can support this color.

Appreciate if u can help.

Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

Mix reef-Main tank 3x2.5x2.5ftA

TI 3ft 8tube

Hitachi compressor unit 1HP

1 x AP- 702 Deltec

1 x Coral Lab CR with Ph controller; 1X AquaMedic Kalk Reactor top off

Baby fish dosing kh/Sr&Kcl/mg

DI water thru kalkwasser

1 x Skimz Fr with BRS gfo

2 x Rio 32hF main pump

1 x Pinpt Orp monitor

1 X Pinpt Ph monitor

Aquamedic wave maker

Sump 3x1.5ft plumbed together with;

1.5ft cube live rock

Frag tank 5x1x1ft

Just for your guideline to share. I check NSW periodically before use from my reputable regular supplier before use in my tank.

SG 1.021 refractrometer

Kh 8dkh api

Calcium 310ppm salifert

Magnesium 1100ppm salifert

NO3 0ppm api absolute yellow

PO4 0ppm hanna

No matter what i will run pass my water 3 jerrycan through carbon block to my big drum (preventive measure). Then add in mag chloride and calcium chloride to beef up according to chemical calculator to make mg 1400ppm n ca 400ppm. Add in further tropic marine salt to adjust sg at 1.026 as my tank is sps dominated. Cycle water, wait for at least 12 prior in using.

All my LS doing great except pink color sps.

Just a question to any expert, any additive can support this color.

Appreciate if u can help.

Thanks in advance.

Can PM me where u get NSW source?

:thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

i used to buy my salt water from an online seller at ard 20$ for 20L

wah... $20 for 20L? Per litre $1....

Tank size:36"x36"x24"

Return pump" 2x Reef Octo 5000

Skimmer:BK Double Cone 200 on Reef Octopus DC 5500s.

Wavemaker:2xVortech MP40wES

Chemical filtration:1xeducator FR(biopellets)

Chiller:1hp Daikin compressor.

Lighting:2 x Kessil A360we

Auto topup system: JBJ ATO + new jet 1200

Dosing system: Kamoer 3 channel.

Additives: ESV 2 part.

Power consumption

2XReef Octo 5000: 120watts

BK skimmer:50watts

2xVortech wavemaker:70watts

Daikin compressor:775watts

Lighting:180watts

Ato system:21watts

Exhaust fans:16watts

Refugium light:27watts

i used to buy my salt water from an online seller at ard 20$ for 20L

Iwarna ultra filtered seawater only $4 / 10L. Yours is way too expensive, I rather mix my own saltwater. Personally prefer to cycle tank with NSW then convert to saltwater as you do water change.

I think salinity is another issue when using Nsw. I have been using Nsw from a certain eastern LFS for years and measure salinity occasionally. I know that the salinity from this LFS always tends to be on the low side, so I sometimes top up water that has evaporated with more salt water. This morning tested salinity whiile doing water change and was shocked to find that it has gone quite low (1.016-7). I may have to consider alternative sources soon.