How did you guys get into this hobby??

kschew1498

• SRC Member

Just very curious how you guys...and ladies as well :blink: ....get into this hobby!!! :lol:

Anyway how long have you guy/gals been reefing??

I start off with myself.....I have to admit its been influenced from the NEMO show but I started this hobby without even watching the movie...haha strange!!! :fear:

Its been...hmmm....4 months....was since last September.....

Have to say this is the first and only hobby that I am so engross in it!! Really going in-depth....and so crazy till I have to log in SRC every day!!! Sometime even have to control myself when working... hahaha :D

:lol: Previously have a lot of hobbies....fishing, snooker, stamp collection...blar blar blar....probably just part of growing up....

FYI I have already spent > 2k for my 2 footer and climbing!! :blink: Lucky no more space for any corals already! Now just have to play with the water chemistry and maintain the corals.

Ok enough about myself......how about you guys/gals??

(Lo So....damp sian...alone at home....Mdm go outstation....sian ah)

Me no lady, sorry!! :paiseh:

My started a year before NEMO....always wanted to take on the challenge of keeping reef, it reminds me of city in a bottle :lol::lol:

so tried it out and kana hooked ;)

• SRC Member
I started cos the old 3ft was vacant for near 4mth after my aro decided to come out to feel how is it like on the floor tiles .. :P then ... between keeping discus again & marine .. we choose marine cos it is a new challenge .. no regrets ..

hahaha that is funny description....same same for me....kept aro before marine....and my silver also thought that it can breathe air!!! hahaha :lol:<_<

• SRC Member
my childhood dream.. now got abit more of purchasing power n man in the family.. haha..

"oii.. I going LFS now.."

"oki.. come back early"

good excuse huh! :lol: join me one of this days la....almost alternate nights doing my rounds with Triggerpuff!!! hahaha :lol:

Bro triggerpuff....taking care of babe or your fishes?!!! :lol: hahaha

• SRC Member

I start because my house discus are neglected by my parents. In the end gave away. Empty tank at home and I tot of the idea of keeping marine since has aro, planted and discus b4 in my home.

Start looking 4 info on the net and found www.reef.org. eventually found here.

• SRC Member

I started off with Freshwater many years back... got bored of it coz I found a way to basically get the tank running without much maintenance... only feeding was required...

So basically got bored... so decided to move on to a small scale marine tank (1ft cube) about 3 years ago? From that 1 ft cube with internal filter, came a 1ft cube with hang on refugium, then a 1 ft cube with 1.5ft sump, then finally a more substantial 2.5ft tank...

Call it an obsession but it's the only hobby I've kept for so long.. haha

good excuse huh! :lol: join me one of this days la....almost alternate nights doing my rounds with Triggerpuff!!! hahaha :lol:

Bro triggerpuff....taking care of babe or your fishes?!!! :lol: hahaha

r u the north bros..??

where u all go to shop..

I prefer to shop at selected outlets..haha..!!

nite time where got much shop open..?

I just dropby SL just now..

• SRC Member

r u the north bros..??

where u all go to shop..

I prefer to shop at selected outlets..haha..!!

nite time where got much shop open..?

I just dropby SL just now..

North bros?? :huh: hehe mind I ask what's that?? :lol:

same same we just went to SL last night! Spent >60 buck on phosguard la, de*nitrate la, salt la......hahaha :lol:

usually will make our rounds at Rebo*n, ML, then the one near Ah Nan Bao Yu, water circle, oxford road one, and one more...hmmm....near the jalan besar stadium one....ah ya...its all along the way!! hahaha :lol:

Both of us were so damp crazy till we went out on new year eve at 12 mid night to buy clams....hahaha :lol: I think its one of our sponsor...lost ark or something like that.....tyrwitt road...or tembling road...forgot already la.... :lol: Zhou wuo ru mo already!!! :D

• SRC Member

hi.. i started mine.. way back 10 yrs ago.. from a 1½ ft tank size till today of 5½ ft tank... and the passion in keeping this hobby never dies.. to the extend... that my wife complains that i rather pay attention to the fish then to her.... :P .. to counter that... i kept fishes that she likes...problem solved.. :D

• SRC Member
hi.. i started mine.. way back 10 yrs ago.. from a 1½ ft tank size till today of 5½ ft tank... and the passion in keeping this hobby never dies.. to the extend... that my wife complains that i rather pay attention to the fish then to her.... :P .. to counter that... i kept fishes that she likes...problem solved.. :D

I can see many guy here do that.. <_< .. I too got my GF into it. Just keep bringing her to the LFS and she'll definitely see a fish she likes. Then setup a nano for her and voila.. no complains..

for me, one thing.. Lions.. they are just beautiful.. :D

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member

my interest is before the aquarama03.. den when i was at aquarama03, saw AT, our boss, giving a speech, and was more interested in this hobby. Of cos, i did some reading b4 starting.. :) AT, good speech u given!! no wonder tat time i met u find u so familiar..lol..

Everything's sold. Back in 2yrs time.

ga051025.gif

If it's a WRX, it gotta be STI.

av-24.gif

my interest is before the aquarama03.. den when i was at aquarama03, saw AT, our boss, giving a speech, and was more interested in this hobby. Of cos, i did some reading b4 starting.. :) AT, good speech u given!! no wonder tat time i met u find u so familiar..lol..

Wow! :) I DID made an impact somewhere! I thought I was speaking to a crowd of dead fish! LOL!!

Well... I'm honoured! :P

me????? guess i've got nothing better to do to keep me busy........ frankly speaking, marine fish r super interesting..... glad i got into it. but my dear westie will always be my first love........ :P

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• Sponsor

:lol: Hi everyone, really glad to see such enthusiasm. Thanks to efforts of fishlovers like grandmaster AT, many have been inspired into taking up the hobby. I started keeping marines in Sec 2, think should be 1987 (getting old :unsure: )and actually did it because I was insulted :angry: by an old shopkeeper while trying to purhase a boxer shrimp, but it was good advice as he challenged me to learn salt water mixing before jumping in....and then it was marine all the way....

Actually wrote my experiences in a little segment that I called "A Fishkeeper's Journal" in my shop website: www.eaquarist.com. If any of you folks would like to share your unusual experiences with the rest of us, pls feel free to e-mail me your story. ;)