How to increase the PH level in the FOWLR tank

How to increase the PH level in the FOWLR tank?

Normally FOWLR tanks suffer from low PH level due to

(1) excess carbon dioxide (CO2) from respiration caused by lack of sufficient gas exchange,

(2) nitric acid from biological filtration (nitrification), and

(3) organic acids from metabolic wastes.

This is linked to the feeding of the fish and the fishes itself.

Any suggestions on the brand and product and also the method to use to increase the PH level.

Thanks

i use the seachem marine buffer.

Reason: Marine Buffer™ will safely raise marine pH to 8.3. It will not raise pH above 8.3 even if inadvertently overdosed.

hope it helps :)

Moorish Idol has to be the most beautiful fish ever! :thumbsup:

• SRC Member

hmm just nice i tested my ph and it was 7.7 so went down to shop. was looking for seachem marine buffer but the guy a bit blur blur and i was rushing for time in the end i got a aquapharm pro series buffer 8.3. The instructions say it will not raise to more than 8.3 too. anyone tried before?

• SRC Member
hmm just nice i tested my ph and it was 7.7 so went down to shop. was looking for seachem marine buffer but the guy a bit blur blur and i was rushing for time in the end i got a aquapharm pro series buffer 8.3. The instructions say it will not raise to more than 8.3 too. anyone tried before?
Never used their ph buffer before but I used their part A & B, trace elements and 5 in 1 coral food before. All went well. Just dose according to instructions and measure. Should work well. Cheers

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want to impress people they don't like.

I am using the Seachem marine buffer for few days, dose it in night but next morning, found that the PH still remains at the night before the dose. Any idea, how to maintain it? I heard of KH. KH need to be about 9-10, so that the PH is buffered.

Any good suggestion to maintain PH from droping after dosing.

I have been adding both seachem reef buffer and marine buffer for four days since sun, the PH still was very low about 7.4 to 7.5, only increase to 7.7 when added the buffer, but fall back to 7.4 to 7.5 the very next day morning.

I decided to buy H2Ocean Natural reef Salt to try after remindering The Fish Channel shop boss Kelvin said he used the H2Ocean salt for the display tank. I did a 30% to 35% water change yesterday night with this salt mix. This morning before going to work tested the PH level, it is now 8.0. Great improvement! :yahoo:

Look like good salt mix helps as they have the correct elements in the salt. The fishes looks more colorful and active after the water change. Not sure whether due to PH or water change.

Will continue to check the PH for the next few days and with water change using this H2Ocean salt in the next few weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

Or use kalkwasser as your top up water.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I read from the website, care must be taken when using kalkwasser. If not, the KH and PH can go very very high ......

How to use it safely? May need a PH controller I think....

• SRC Member

I read from the website, care must be taken when using kalkwasser. If not, the KH and PH can go very very high ......

How to use it safely? May need a PH controller I think....

Always use testkit to measure if unsure. Read instruction, they will tell u how much to dose.