Ich on my Tangs! Please Help!

• SRC Member

Hi, My Tangs are suffering on Ich now, heard that ' It Clear' and garlic guard can help, may I know where get them? Please advise what other thing I can do?

Up coming project:

5' x 2.5' x 2.5' Mix Reef Tank

• SRC Member

Only proven cure for ich is copper and hypo treatment. However both method cant be used in a reef tank. Got to catch the fishes out and treat and leave the main tank fishless for 2 mths. Other methods will be daily water change, feeding garlic. Need to pray alot for these methods to work.

There was someone selling a product for ich, velvet and spot diseases, by Prodibio. This product can be used in a reef tank (according to the instructions). Pretty reasonably priced. But I'm not sure about its effectiveness. Bought two boxes but my fish sucummed to the disease before I could administer the treatment.

Perhaps some bros who have used before can advise.

Here's the link if you're interested:

Hi bro, fyi, west coast Marine sells a ick cure @1 red note which the boss claims it reef save & effective. I brought it to try but seem too late for the fish already dying.

My tank setting:
Size : 48" x 24" x 24"
Return pump: 1 x Vectra S2, 1 x Eheim 1264
Skimmer: Skimz DC skimmer SV203
Lighting : Maxspect Razor R420R 160W
Chiller : 1hp drop coil compressor
Wave maker : 2 x Nero 5 , 1 x Tunze 6055

Top up : Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155

There was someone selling a product for ich, velvet and spot diseases, by Prodibio. This product can be used in a reef tank (according to the instructions). Pretty reasonably priced. But I'm not sure about its effectiveness. Bought two boxes but my fish sucummed to the disease before I could administer the treatment.

Perhaps some bros who have used before can advise.

Here's the link if you're interested:

I have use Prodibio velvet and spot for my 130L QT for 9 days treatment but it doesn't cure ich and velvet on my fishes and its not really reefsafe cause sps and anemone died but some corals ie: zoa, clove polyp, start polyp etc not open during treatment but still survive ...

• SRC Member
I have use Prodibio velvet and spot for my 130L QT for 9 days treatment but it doesn't cure ich and velvet on my fishes and its not really reefsafe cause sps and anemone died but some corals ie: zoa, clove polyp, start polyp etc not open during treatment but still survive ...
Hi Sengreef, Thank for your sharing.

Up coming project:

5' x 2.5' x 2.5' Mix Reef Tank

Maintain good water quality, garlic to boost immune system. UV light to kill free swim ich. As long the fish is feeding should be fine.
Agree too. Take care of the water and the fishes will take care of themselves. Try soaking food in garlic guard, vitamin...etc. sometimes fish may overcome it. However, the ich is still in the system unless treatment is taken.

I have used Dr. G's medicated food with great success. I still feed them Dr. G from time to time although they have no sign of Ich already rather than let the food spoil and throw away. Some fish don't mind the taste i.e., my clowns but the others i.e., purple tang, wrasse and anthias don't like it that's why I mix it with other food and soak it in garlic juice and HUFA first to camouflage the taste of the medicine.

• 5 months later...

the pellet will melt if you soak in garlic guard, unless you mean is to "dip"?

What pallets are using?

I soak a mixture of ocean nutrition formula 1, formula 2 and 2 sizes of spectrum, fish eggs(ebiko).... soaked them in lots of garlic amino acids and vitamins..... that's my magic potion....the fish love them!

As long as the fish is eating well and active.... continue to keep them that way till their immune system actually rid the manifestation of ich.

I had a naso tang and an Achilles tang filled with hundreds of white spots......it slowly went away over 2-3 weeks... be patient and make sure the fishes are feeding well and active. Now, they're both spotless

post-5638-0-28069600-1380642082_thumb.jp

• Like 1

the pellet will melt if you soak in garlic guard, unless you mean is to "dip"?
I pour abit of garlic guard onto a small cap,then i just put the pellets into the guard n leave it for 1 or 2mins before using a pincer carefully pick them up n feed the fishes

Hi acacia.. where do you buy the ebiko. Most of the shop sell fish egg which have already been soak on vinegar

Mine too.... mine contains sugar, msg and some vinegar... it's fine... Don't worry....

It's easy to train new fish to eat this way too :).... All my Anthias are pellet trained this way. I mix a weeks worth of food and pre-soaked them ready for feed, and keep them in the fridge. I notice a change in colors of my fishes too... so much brighter.

Whitespot went away doesnt mean your tank has got rid of it. What happen is that they drop out to finish life cycle which is breeding. For large tank, infestation will take a while until you see a full blown tank with ich. However, if your fish count is low, you might be able to eradicate this. Reason being is that ich need fish as a host and it will die if didnt manage to find one in 48hours or so. Based on my long battle and study on marine ich, i also notice some fish dont get infestation. Why? I read somewhere that this group of fishes are actually carrier. They dont get infested despite heavy infestation. Best way to eradicate is to leave your tank fishless for 90 days and qt new fishes min 3 weeks. Learn this the hardway and lost almost all my fishes. Basically now i will qt fishes min 3 weeks before adding into dt.

Aside to this, no proven research on garlic and ich. Imo, garlic is able to boost fish immune system but that is not a cure or ich prevention.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 4

• Like 1

I am feeding mix formula1 pellet + some other pellet in sachet form forgot the name + chopped sea weed. sometimes I dip im garlic guard very quick. because when I try to soak like 1mins and the pellets become so soft that looks like melt... thanks dunkoboys and aldrich for the info... looks like the pellet is expected melt

• 1 month later...