3ftx1.5ftx2ft New Setup

staromsa

Nice collection of sps.
Thanks bro!! I still think your tank is way nicer then mine! Im still trying hard and learning to enhance the colour in my sps.

Tank and Equipments Used:-

Tank Size: 3x1.5x2

Return Pump: Eheim 1260

Lighting: DE 36 Inch T5 Retrofit 6 x 39 Watts | 5 ATI Blue Plus & 1 ATI Special Blue.

Wavemaker: 1x WP-40 | 1x SUNSUN 5000ltr/hr

Skimmer: BUBBLE MAGUS C7

Skimz ideas FR: Running ROWAPHOS (FEEDER PUMP: RESUN 1000)

Enductor FR: Running NP Biopellet (FEEDER PUMP: AQUABEE 1000)

Chaeto in sump

~ Watching my tank matures and progressing day by day , gives me great satisfactory

Cheers!

what r u dosing?
Thanks bro for your kind words. Im currently dosing Ca, Mg and kH. Im planning to start dosing fauna marine colour elements soon. Together with some trace elements by fauna marine.

Lighting: DE 36 Inch T5 Retrofit 6 x 39 Watts | 5 ATI Blue Plus & 1 ATI Special Blue.

Chaeto in sump

~ Watching my tank matures and progressing day by day , gives me great satisfactory

Cheers!

Thanks bro!! I still think your tank is way nicer then mine! Im still trying hard and learning to enhance the colour in my sps.
I'm also learning too, my sps are common ones, nothing extraordinary.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

Thanks bro for your kind words.Im currently dosing Ca, Mg and kH. Im planning to start dosing fauna marine colour elements soon.Together with some trace elements by fauna marine.

Bro try grotech ABCM since alot of great review in oversea and here. Most important cheaper then fauna marin.

• SRC Member

Ur nutrients need to be low otherwise FM wont work for u... No point dosing anything, work on bringing ur nutrients down first... Strike a balance otherwise all these good stuff will only benefit and boost algae growth

:: just a noob ::

Bro, im currently only using biopellets.

As much as your current spses are looking fine, I notice some inhabitants looking pale.

Might be case of bleaching or ulns syndrome which the latter means you stripped the water too clean for sps to thrive.

Colour elements might be gd but I cannot be sure it wont promote algae growth especially I see long strands of algae on both the overflow and your return pipe and I'm unsure of your N & P numbers.

so Serve us a pic of your skimmate please. Thanks

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

As much as your current spses are looking fine, I notice some inhabitants looking pale. Might be case of bleaching or ulns syndrome which the latter means you stripped the water too clean for sps to thrive. Colour elements might be gd but I cannot be sure it wont promote algae growth especially I see long strands of algae on both the overflow and your return pipe and I'm unsure of your N & P numbers. so Serve us a pic of your skimmate please. Thanks
Marco bro, N & P are at 0. Probably because the algae are consuming them.. As for skimmate pic, i will post it tonight. Thks bro. Regarding the pale sps, yes i totally agree, i cant even identify the problem. As for bleaching, i doubt so bah? As t5's doesnt really bleach sps from what i research. Usually only LED does it. Regarding the colour elements, i really wanna try it out, but as what you and jxlex bro said, i might only boost algae growth. So i really appreciate some help on creating intense colours on my SPS.

Chaeto in sump

Cheers!

As requested, my skimmate.

post-22543-0-33918400-1370876358_thumb.j

Chaeto in sump

Cheers!

Marco bro, N & P are at 0. Probably because the algae are consuming them.. As for skimmate pic, i will post it tonight. Thks bro. Regarding the pale sps, yes i totally agree, i cant even identify the problem.As for bleaching, i doubt so bah? As t5's doesnt really bleach sps from what i research. Usually only LED does it.Regarding the colour elements, i really wanna try it out, but as what you and jxlex bro said, i might only boost algae growth. So i really appreciate some help on creating intense colours on my SPS.

From skimmate pic, look like alot of greens. most probably algae goo from urchins or overdosing of carbon based food source. Dont think it's carbon dosing waste cause usually that's black or dark brown.

Deal with your nutrient issue. I think your current colonies paled is not because of low nutrient but a case of unfavorable environment. Spses dont always rtn or stn. they can just pale leaving just polyps and then slowly die out.

Corals are weird creatures because when you pass them from another tank to yours they grow. Does that mean your tank is top notch? Sadly no. It's just it sucking up whatever it can find before dying. Last grasp of struggle wtv you want to coin it. Basic time line of a healthy coral is 6 months if not 1 year. Growth is nothing after awhile. Sustainability is the understatment here.

Also I compared your last and current pix and do see a number of changes. Sell or die off I leave you to dessiminate but you got issues to address.

So recommend you do not try those bottles. Alot of bros are trying now because it's a hype but question is is it necessary?

My thoughts are unless you're ulns that your spses pale so much but growing that you want to increase its colouration, theb its a call to try hydrocarbon materials.

Or try this if you have achieved ulns.. Heavy feeding ;)

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

@ bro marcovann, yes i totally agree with some sps paling off while most of my sps colouring up and colour getting more and more intense . However, the only sps that are paling of are 2 pocci's. But from what i read if its due to high nutrient levels, shouldnt my pocci turn brown liao? Can you pls advise me on this paling matter? Thanks bro.:)

Chaeto in sump

Cheers!

I'm also learning too, my sps are common ones, nothing extraordinary.
Bro your collection is way more then mine. Ypu have many much more rarer sps. Which is fully coloured up! As compared to mine.

Chaeto in sump

Cheers!

Bro try grotech ABCM since alot of great review in oversea and here. Most important cheaper then fauna marin.
Kakani bro, i will read up more and make a decision. Im worried i boost the algae growth like jxlex bro said. Haha. Care to share what you use to intensify your sps colours?

Chaeto in sump

Cheers!

@ bro marcovann, yes i totally agree with some sps paling off while most of my sps colouring up and colour getting more and more intense . However, the only sps that are paling of are 2 pocci's. But from what i read if its due to high nutrient levels, shouldnt my pocci turn brown liao? Can you pls advise me on this paling matter? Thanks bro.:)

Solid? Sorry bro to advise that I will only believe a picture's truth if the truth in the picture is true.

Simple words, I do not believe in blue lamps. To me, actinic blue plus only brings out colouration because of the bio luminesecence in the corals' algae and nothing more. It is therefore very easy to say my corals look great under blue lights but look draped under 10k bulbs.

Then it will be what are you trying to prove? A classic tank or a classic fraud?

(Let me throw you a bone. Go royal blue leds; your colours will be more superb than what you are getting now.)

Like I said, paling off doesn't mean great. In fact, paling means trouble brewing. I see besides your poccis, montis are paling; both digitata and carpacornis.

Carpacornis are basic montis. They should be the ones succeeding still in face of an adverse condition. If they aren't, something is really wrong somewhere.

Current spses dont show it dont meant they don't mean it. Placement etc periodically holds back the inevitable stn/rtn but it is still inevitable. it will come like it or not if some core issues are not addressed.

Brown spses are mostly due to lights and high nutrients. Go to some lfs and observe. You'll find brown sps there but thriving. Actually a bro here has a tank which saw its sps browning out but kudos to his system, its looking okay so far but he needs to upgrade those lights.

Nevertheless it is your corals to decide. Cashing in on them as frag sales now or later is up to you entirely. But do spare a thought for them before you buy your new stuff.

$30 can buy you a lot of NSW and salt mixes to provide a quality tank.

Just my 2 cents.

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

@marcovann, got it bro. I will use the time to try to troubleshoot the problem. I guess what i vould do now is to only change water frequently. To see if it helps.

Chaeto in sump

Cheers!

@marcovann, got it bro. I will use the time to try to troubleshoot the problem. I guess what i vould do now is to only change water frequently. To see if it helps.

I hope you do because there's a lot of grounds to cover for your case.

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

I hope you do because there's a lot of grounds to cover for your case.
To be honest partially understand only. Haha. As i still not very sure about whats the cost of lossage of colours.

Chaeto in sump

Cheers!

• SRC Member

Algae issue...

Do daily changes water of 15%

Dont dose any addidtives yet or u will

will be feeding ur algae..

Don't stock anything till u control algae problem..

Dont scrub off the algae in ur tank or else they will

float around and settle to ur rocks and regrow again..

Best is to siphon it off with a small tube..

Gd luck.

To be honest partially understand only. Haha. As i still not very sure about whats the cost of lossage of colours.

Nutrient, high nutrient.

Bro braincoral summed it up well so did bro jxlex.

You can try scrubbing your tank bur remember to collect the floating hair algae to prevent them from becoming excess nutrients.

Don't be an ostrich. Head in sand pretending the everything is still okay

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

Noted. Will work on the water changes and manual removing of algae. Thanks for you help bros!

Chaeto in sump

Cheers!

• SRC Member

Coloration comes from:

1) nutrient control

2) lighting type & photo-period

3) time & stability

4) trace and minor elements

5) amino acids and various other proteins and stuff

6) amongst many other factors that are either discovered or still in the midst of discovery

For all the points above, the easiest few things to control and look into would be for me point 1-3.

1) Given that over the years, tons of research has been done on nutrient control and also alot of products available it is very easy to manage and should be something you should focus on. Also given that hobbyist test kits are readily available, making it easier for you to identify and rectify.

2 & 3) amongst the easiest to try and error. Too much, cut down, too little extend photoperiod. That also brings us to the type of lighting in use. Why does a good lightset cost so much more than an average common one? Why certain led/mh/T5 fixtures cost above a thousand vs some that cost less then a $100? Same goes for T5 tubes (ati vs some ahchipariah brand) Lights in coral management is more than just for pure aesthetic purposes. Its a basic NEED (not want) of the corals you want to keep. Although price does not denotes quality but there should be a good reason why the manufacturers can command such premium prices. You mentioned only led causes bleaching, try putting ur frag 1" below a good T5 tube or Mh bulb, lemme noe how it does?

3) time and stability is very very important. U need to be fair and give your new purchase time to settle down after being moved from 1 place to another. Even though home grown frags have better tolerance, it doesn't mean they should be subjected to

The time all these folks that barely know u spent on replying to ur post, giving u advices

• SRC Member

Coloration comes from:

1) nutrient control

2) lighting type & photo-period

3) time & stability

4) trace and minor elements

5) amino acids and various other proteins and stuff

6) amongst many other factors that are either discovered or still in the midst of discovery

For all the points above, the easiest few things to control and look into would be for me point 1-3.

1) Given that over the years, tons of research has been done on nutrient control and also alot of products available it is very easy to manage and should be something you should focus on. Also given that hobbyist test kits are readily available, making it easier for you to identify and rectify.

2) amongst the easiest to try and error. Too much, cut down, too little extend photoperiod. That also brings us to the type of lighting in use. Why does a good lightset cost so much more than an average common one? Why certain led/mh/T5 fixtures cost above a thousand vs some that cost less then a $100? Same goes for T5 tubes (ati vs some ahchipariah brand) Lights in coral management is more than just for pure aesthetic purposes. Its a basic NEED (not want) of the corals you want to keep. Although price does not denotes quality but there should be a good reason why the manufacturers can command such premium prices. You mentioned only led causes bleaching, try putting ur frag 1" below a good T5 tube or Mh bulb, lemme noe how it does?

3) time and stability is very very important. U need to be fair and give your new purchase time to settle down after being moved from 1 place to another. Even though home grown frags have better tolerance, it doesn't mean they should be subjected to any less a good living condition. It should still be given time to stablise, get used to a new environment, get itself adjusted and nicely fitted it. we should really be more like a life partner, bf or gf to our corals and stop treating them like whores, throw them in a lousy room, and make the bucks. Bringing them home is your choice, its your responsibility to provide it the best possible conditions and environment for it (and not within your means). If u do not have the means, i think from the very start u should have left it at the lfs or the other reefers home. Its the same reason why responsible reefers emphasive on stable frags for sale.

4,5 &6) tends to be difficult to control as test kits are not readily available and research is incomplete. We know they are good but we cannot name/note the extend (in totality) as to which they are beneficial and/or detrimental to our corals yet

Given the above, you should really focus on point 1-3, face the simple fact that there is a problem, man up and work on solving them. Stop adding anything else already (whethere livestock or additives)... Its not going to help bro. Solve the problem at hands, dont bet on luck or hope for a divine intervention. Even if god want you to strike Toto, u also need to make and effort to get to the betting station :P. look at ur tank now, u proud?

The time all these folks that barely know u spent on replying to ur post, giving u advices and trying to explain is nothing but a pure act of kindness. They do not need to help you. If you do not appreciate their kind gesture, in time it will all go away. Thanks for taking time to read my senseless ramblings ;)

As usual, happy reefing bro!

• Like 1

Jxlex bro, a really great a detailed explaination. Yes, i will appreciate every single bro's teaching and put them together in use to create a comfortable home for my corals. Yes i agree with what you said in your last sentence bro. Ive always bared that in mind. Will do as above and heed all bro advices. Thanks so much src. :)

Chaeto in sump

Cheers!