Tempted to start adding live stock

• SRC Member

Theres some brand like Skimz and reef octopus that makes overflow box. i've heard some people mentioning skimz often lose its siphon so i think reef octopus is a better choice.

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

• SRC Member

Theres some brand like Skimz and reef octopus that makes overflow box. i've heard some people mentioning skimz often lose its siphon so i think reef octopus is a better choice.

Thanks, do you know where to find stores that sell reef octopus overflow box?

• SRC Member

Thanks, do you know where to find stores that sell reef octopus overflow box?

no idea about this.. maybe online store like freshnmarine?

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

The polyps are so tiny and the proximity with the zoos is giving me a headache. Noted on their diet, can't find any copperband at the moment. Thanks.
Go to ah Beng or iwarna I bought one from I iwarna at $3 to clear aiptasia... But end up job done and dun eat anything be it mysis or brine shrimps. So end up I release the fish back to tuas naval base...

• SRC Member
no idea about this.. maybe online store like freshnmarine?
Thanks, managed to find a shop selling the reef octopus overflow.
Go to ah Beng or iwarna I bought one from I iwarna at $3 to clear aiptasia... But end up job done and dun eat anything be it mysis or brine shrimps. So end up I release the fish back to tuas naval base...
Wah... I am ripped as I paid $15 for it... I am lucky as mine started eating mysis already. Thanks anyway.

• SRC Member

Dear readers/followers,

After about 3 months of struggle with water parameter stability, fighting algae & aiptasia, losses in livestocks, twice weekly water change …etc, I had finally succumb…

I decided to go for a DIY sump. I am hoping to achieve the following:

1. more water = more stable

2. deep sand bed to help reduce nitrate

3. more space for cheato to grow more nutrient export

4. reverse lighting for refugium to maintain stable PH

5. more water flow in display (added a 2000l/hr return pump)

I attached some pictures. Kindly provide your valuable comments. Please point out anything wrong or possible improvements.

Bare Bottom (removed sand from display tank)

post-22745-0-13147600-1373123558_thumb.p

DIY Sump

post-22745-0-89148800-1373123673_thumb.p

Tank & Cabinet

post-22745-0-02901500-1373123772_thumb.p

Thank you.

Does your sump suck in all the the water from the display tank when your return pump stop running? If it does, your sump doesn't look like its able to hold all that water. The round thing in front your DT is your wavemaker? Where is it aiming? Seem like blowing to the back of your tank, doesnt seem to help distribute flow that way. But your options seem limited due to your cabinet design. Try place it on the rhs of your tank ro blow from right to left. BTW u still running that cannister filter?

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• SRC Member

Does your sump suck in all the the water from the display tank when your return pump stop running? If it does, your sump doesn't look like its able to hold all that water. The round thing in front your DT is your wavemaker? Where is it aiming? Seem like blowing to the back of your tank, doesnt seem to help distribute flow that way. But your options seem limited due to your cabinet design. Try place it on the rhs of your tank ro blow from right to left. BTW u still running that cannister filter?

Actually, I am using an overflow box. If the return pump stop working, the water stop flowing into my sump. My problem is with the return pump outlet. When the return pump stop, it returns water from the DT to sump. I am desperate for a check value (one way water valve for anti-siphon) now. I have to position the return outlet high up so that the water siphon back to the sump will not overflow. Also if you notice my DT and sump is side by side, in the worst case the water level in the sump will be the same as the DT, so I will NEVER have my DT empty out completely.

Yes the round thing is the wave maker, fortunately, I can change the direction. I am aiming it at the right rear corner (diagonal).

Yes I am still running the canister filter, thought I remove it later after the bacteria had build up in the sump...

Thank you for the comments… keep them coming :)

Actually, I am using an overflow box. If the return pump stop working, the water stop flowing into my sump. My problem is with the return pump outlet. When the return pump stop, it returns water from the DT to sump. I am desperate for a check value (one way water valve for anti-siphon) now. I have to position the return outlet high up so that the water siphon back to the sump will not overflow. Also if you notice my DT and sump is side by side, in the worst case the water level in the sump will be the same as the DT, so I will NEVER have my DT empty out completely.

Yes the round thing is the wave maker, fortunately, I can change the direction. I am aiming it at the right rear corner (diagonal).

Yes I am still running the canister filter, thought I remove it later after the bacteria had build up in the sump...

Thank you for the comments… keep them coming :)

Ok, glad that u have that sort out or plan out...In case of power trip or ur return pump suddenly stalled, hope ur sump doesn't overflow and flood. If u r still able to do any modification to ur sump, maybe u could reduce the water level so that it is able to hold the water coming from the DT. Getting a check valve is only good if u r around to turn it on/off.

Btw may i ask how did u diy ur sump, it looked like u place some small tanks in a bigger tank.

As for ur WM, I think its ugly to place in front of ur DT and also blocks a certain portion of the display. But if u dun mind, then its ok.

Hope u dun mind my comments.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

• SRC Member

Sad to say but I lost my copper band today… :cry2:

Lesson learnt - yellow tang cannot go with copper band (at least for my 2 x 1 x 1.5 ft tank)...

Live stock losses:

1. 1 x Copperband butterfly (harassment by Yellow Tang)

2. 3 x Peppermint shrimp (insufficient acclimation)

3. 2 x Berghia Nudibranch (insufficient Aiptasia)

4. SunFlow Zoanthids (3 Polyp) - Zoo eating snails

5. Bam Bam Red Zoa (3 Polyp) - Zoo eating snails

6. SPS colony - RTN (no idea what went wrong)

7. Crab hosting on Pocillopora (after feeding it with mysis, died few days later)

Err… Not sure what is the safety concern on this placement… Do you mean the pump may generate certain magnetic field that will affect the power points?
Think he meant by electrical hazards, placing your pump near so many plugs and adapters. Accidental water spillage from pump for example.... Water & electricity dun mix...

• SRC Member

I see… Unfortunately, I cannot find a better place to locate it. BTW, the pump is connected with the hose. Unless the hose come lose by it self, I don't believe there should be any spillage. Anyway, thanks for the advise.

• SRC Member

I see… Unfortunately, I cannot find a better place to locate it. BTW, the pump is connected with the hose. Unless the hose come lose by it self, I don't believe there should be any spillage. Anyway, thanks for the advise.

It's just my newbie opinion. Want all to be safe.

Happy reefing :)