Quarantine by LFS

Do pasir ris farms like ah beng carry out anti biotic bath, dips etc for new arrivals?

Antibiotic Bath? Dun think so.............simple quarantine yes...........

This is what I observed........Maybe I am wrong

Pinnacle : Quarantine all fishes but fish variety little...............

Ah Beng : Quarantine only certain fishes...........the rest of the small fishes that came in packs, they will repack again for immediate sales...........

Iwarna : I nebe seen them quarantine any fishes other than those sold by "you know who"............I can't remember his name......Sorie.........Iwarna has the most variety of fishes by far week in week out but stocks deplete very fast due to purchases from regulars.............

Ng Couple : Simple quarantine..............least amount of fishes for sale...........

Steven LCK201 : Simple quarantine............sell only specific type of fishes............the place for occasional rare excitements..........

Ah Bac : IMHO, the best quarantine guy in SG.............even has microscope as part of his equipment.................but fish stocks very very low...........

Coral Farm : Good establishment and quarantine protocol.........best UV facility all around...........extremely good variety of fishes but price is steep.......but you pay for the good quality fishes..............

Jireh Marine : Not sure.............been there but no chance to observe much.............reasonable variety of fishes but predictable types.............

Henry : Nebe been there so no comments.............heard much nice things about him............

Sealife : The old facility at Balestier has a good quarantine place............with a good variety of fishes.............but the new shop at Bukit Merah is a suspect because place is so small..........the variety of fishes drop a lot............hope they can make a good comeback..............

Fish Channel : Ah..............this shop really brings a new dimension to Singapore Marine trade...........Kelvin's Fowlr display tank is BEST of the BEST in SG..........I seen some quarantine tanks behind which is a good thing and I believe in his quarantine skills and how he recover sick fishes...........impressive........most of his fishes are pellet feeding like Coral Farm.........pricing slightly lower or same as Coral Farm but higher than the rest.............then again u pay for the quality if you do not have the ability to train your fishes to eat...............

Did I miss out anyone?

Anyway, I think no matter how good the quarantine facilities or procedures any LFS has in place, buyers should always quarantine their own fishes prior to release into their tanks.............

IMHO, for antibiotic bath, I think morally, anyone should not be doing that unless you are medically trained to do that..............even if you have success in antibiotic bath for quarantine purpose, its luck but of course some say it comes with experience................

As to someone's question on whether the fish is feeding upon landing at the LFS, I dun think any LFS can guarantee that...........without enough acclimatisation and quarantine time, most fishes do not feed immediately........but one thing I do observe, other than Jireh Marine and Henry's which I am not sure, all the rest of the LFS do put the non-feeding fishes on display sale with the exception of Ah Bac..........but you cannot blame them as they have cost/profit objectives.............

Lastly, I believe a lot of LFS have the same suppliers of fishes and corals..............so the best price, most healthy, pellet feeding fishes will win...........do we get the best of everything? I doubt so...........quality comes with a price........because quality needs labour, experience, care, etc and this cost $$$.........

That being said, I hope some pro-LFS supporting members here can be more reserved about their comments.........because I am not out here to promote a single LFS only.........the whole community need to grow to sustain this hobby..........any closure of LFS does not benefit the hobbyists at all.............

Thanks for reading.........

• SRC Member

Wow, wonderful essay. My question was just a simple if they are feeding yet, I know some fishes are stress from shipping. I do happen to come across angels which landed in the morning, by afternoon feeding very well on pellets. The way u explain really sounds like u are the seller of these fishes. LOL

AM has quarantine tanks behind so I believed they do their own quarantine. The salinity in their tanks is quite low. There was 1 day I thought my Salinity Pinpoint Monitor was faulty so I went to AM and measure their tank salinity vs mine. Low salinity possibly to lower the stress for the fishes............

Not the same as its heydays..........fish shipments not as good as before but occasional SPS shipments brighten up the day...........overall shop feel is good and yes! Aircon shop!!!...........

Henry at ML apparently does antibiotic bath. I agree on coral farm. Best success rate for fish for me so far. Sea life medicates some fish like tangs, angels and more expensive fish I believe. Regarding feeding, I know some LFS in east don't even use mysis to induce feeding, citing cost as concern.

So when it reaches consumers, it becomes a gamble.

Just don't buy from lfs that don't provide you that type of service. And of cos with bettet service come with a price. If you want quailty fish best place is TFC. Ah beng do med all his fish for few hour or even a day. CF QT for 1 day in their QT room.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

• SRC Member

i was at CF 2 hours ago and was looking for true perc clown.. one pair caught my eye and asked auntie to feed pellet.. they chiong the pellet like as if they have never ate anything before. agree that price is steep but quality appears to be very good and fishes are very healthy.. so tabao a pair back!

My previous pair of true perc clown (for my 34L small tank) was from sea life.. looks healthy from the shop and didn't ask for any feeding demo. Reach back home to my 34L tank (3 - 4 months old at that point of time) never eat anything for a few days and passed away soon after that..

i bought another pair of Banggai cardinal from ah beng last week and both took frozen brine shrimp readily within the next day. ah beng's fishes are quite healthy too.

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

Actually Iwarna do quarantine some of the fishes in the frag room behind... Especially the higher grades ones... I did requested for a pellet trained quarantined PBT, and it was healthy as a bull when i got it. Talk to the guys there, they will be more than happy to help u out.

Buy fish that excite YOU, and respect others' passions.

Yes, we know, there's a cheaper and prettier fish than the one were talking about. - John Coppolino

• SRC Member

Yes we have talked about quarantine.

What about lfs with malnutrition fish? Quarantine + ensuring that the fish stays healthy in lfs is also equally impt.

Just find it disappointing to see sunken stomach/sick fish in the tanks waiting to perish/sold.

Good write up uncle Jon. Are you the tall slim chap that often seen in SL with many tanks of angels? :)

LOL..........Bro Patrick............tall but not slim la.........although I did drop 5kgs from 6 weeks of jogging at ECP.............

Have not been to SL for some time liao.........not much excitement there..........but the kopitiam food beside SL is REAL cheap.......got $2 char kway teow............where to find???............

• 4 weeks later...

Personally, I think most of the parasite came from the tanks at the LFS.

:( once a senior told me to scoup the tank water while bagging the fish from the particular tank of the livestock i bagging, he say this way the fish will be in a better form than to take water from the reserve tank...