What does yellow tangs eat?

• SRC Member

Pellets seaweed almost anything u throw in. Just keep trying. Fish can survive about a week given ur tank is established.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want to impress people they don't like.

• SRC Member

3 weeks now my tangs only eat mysis and seeweed..... how to train them to eat pellet?

My yellow tang did not eat pellets initially too! It only started eating after my clownfish was added. The yellow tang sort of learn from the clownfish.

My yellow tang did not eat pellets initially too! It only started eating after my clownfish was added. The yellow tang sort of learn from the clownfish.

i have clarks clownfish and feed anything like pellets, mysis and seeweeds...

I saw my tangs bite then throw the pellets

Try clipping algae sheet at the LR :)

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member

i have clarks clownfish and feed anything like pellets, mysis and seeweeds...

I saw my tangs bite then throw the pellets

Not sure if your tangs are herbivorous… Maybe your would like to check if your pellets are for omnivore or herbivore?

Thanks for the reply!!sadly it died as the wave marker sucked it anyway any easy to keep and nice saltwater fishes

I think yellow tang is entry level. Try again and get a bigger size of at least 3". They will be more resistant to diseases and parasite infection.

Try to quarantine the fishes before adding to the main tank as the wave is usually strong making them difficult in getting food. In strong current, the moment they see the food, it's behind them. Healthy and strong fishes will dash for food.

• SRC Member

Switch off the wavemaker when you are feeding. Those wavemaker with controllers have a feeding function to stop the wavemaker too. My fishes will not touch the pellets once it touch the bottom. Try those pellets that are slow sinking or float on the surface.

Blue tang... :)

Blue tangs are more finicky than yellow. YT are the easiest in the surgeonfish group. The best way to acclimate and train a fish is to quarantine! QT QT QT procedure is a must yet people love to skip this step. YT need more green, marine matter than anything else. I read somewhere of 60-70% of their diet should be green. I primarily feed my YT Hikari Seaweed Extreme pellets and it loves them.

• SRC Member

get a stable and healthy specimen.

You can try Coral Farm. Their fish imo are quite healthy. I just bought a yellow tang from there recently. The fish is so healthy that it even ate pellets in the plastic bag when i was acclimating it.

>>

• SRC Member

Red seaweed or green seaweed on a hanger. They take some time to coax them into pecking on the seaweed but once they do, theyll eat like ALOT....and poop alot too. For new tangs i usually crush thr seaweed and mix with garlic paste and spread in my wave maker.

• 1 month later...
Blue tangs are more finicky than yellow. YT are the easiest in the surgeonfish group. The best way to acclimate and train a fish is to quarantine! QT QT QT procedure is a must yet people love to skip this step. YT need more green, marine matter than anything else. I read somewhere of 60-70% of their diet should be green. I primarily feed my YT Hikari Seaweed Extreme pellets and it loves them.
My trio YTs love the hikari seaweed pellets as well. Strangely mine do not really like mysis.