Lemon's 2013 new build

yikai

• Senior Reefer
Very nice liopropomas!! May I know the cost? Wonder if they will be available again?
Common at ah Beng. U just have to look for it. I see at least once or twice a month. And cheap. 2.5-4 red notes

• Senior Reefer

Some macro shots.

My kamohara, now fat and very bold. eats pellets like crazy from the sand and water surface.

also bella sand sifter from japan. a beautiful and hardworking sand sifter.

post-0-0-94689000-1384510356_thumb.jpg

post-0-0-59652700-1384510357_thumb.jpg

• Senior Reefer

My 2 favorite blennies.

Ecsenius oculus and E. pictus.

they are so whimsical. every tank MUST have an ecsenius. Why not? they are cheap, hardy, colorful, have so much personality and they graze on algae all day long. plus, they take up almost no space in the tank. but they are a little tricky to photograph.

the ecsenius has taken on a nice brick red, while the pictus a nice dark grey.

post-0-0-31357800-1384511639_thumb.jpg

post-0-0-86542700-1384511639_thumb.jpg

post-0-0-41845800-1384511640_thumb.jpg

• Senior Reefer

Nice. Bro where you get them blennies.

ocular blenny is stil avaialble at Iwarna. Japanese endemic, from BlueHarbor. first time appearing in Singapore, 2nd time in the trade outside of Japan. cost $1xx.

pictus blenny rare, but sporadic appearance at ah beng. Cheap. $1x

• Senior Reefer

$1xx for a benny is cheap to you but costly to many of us. Don't think every tank shd have one unless you're referring to pictus that cost $1x.

Hmm, I didn't mention anything about the $1xx Blenny being cheap, nor did I mention that it is a must has for every tank.

I said in general, the genus ecsenius is suitable and I feel every tank shoul have one. Almost all the species are within single digit price or $1x. Only two species in Singapore currently are $1xx and they are rare and not easy to get. Most reefers would not normally stumble upon it and be tricked into paying that sum.

I am a NS boy drawing LCP salary. Believe me, 1xx is not cheap for me.

• Like 1

$1xx for a benny is cheap to you but costly to many of us. Don't think every tank shd have one unless you're referring to pictus that cost $1x.

Be it cheap or expensive.. The buyer themselves can decide whether they should buy the fish.. Lemon is just promoting the rare blenny that some reefers might take interest in and just informing about the price for these two blenny..

And the comment about each tank should have one is just a metaphoric way of saying that ecsenius blenny is a good genus of blenny to have in a tank and oculus is one of the rarer one available now..

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

• Senior Reefer

My bad then. He's referring to genus and not the specific species which is 3 digit sum.

Yes sorry If I was not clear before. The genus ecsenius is wonderful and there are about a dozen of species to choose at very reasonable prices.

do they glaze on algae?

Yes they eat algae and small plant material almost exclusively in the wild. In the tank they take pellets and food easily but if you have a big tank, they can survive perfectly fine without feeding. They just graze on algae and diatoms.

There's an article on Reefkeeping on escensius species. Go google. Pretty detailed on the information needed to keep this genus.

I learnt a great deal from there.

Anyway I think they are a wonderful genus for beginners and advanced reefers and if anyone scared of it because of the price, can always try tailspot blenny. Affordable without the lack of escensius character.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• Senior Reefer

There's an article on Reefkeeping on escensius species. Go google. Pretty detailed on the information needed to keep this genus.

I learnt a great deal from there.

Anyway I think they are a wonderful genus for beginners and advanced reefers and if anyone scared of it because of the price, can always try tailspot blenny. Affordable without the lack of escensius character.

here are the following ecsenius that are affordable.

E. nalolo

E. yaeyamaneis

E. minutus

E. bicolor

E. ops

E. stigmatura

E. bimaculatus

E. midas

E. lividanalis

E. pictus

E. gravieri

These are rare and pricey

E. tigris $1xx

E. opsifrontalis

E. oculus $1xx

Woohoo the list!!

I ever picked up minutus at CF. Bet supplier thought it was bimaculatus.

Anyway bro you left out E. australinus (think I spelt wrongly). Fuel brought in once during his Aussie shipments.

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• Senior Reefer

Woohoo the list!!

I ever picked up minutus at CF. Bet supplier thought it was bimaculatus.

Anyway bro you left out E. australinus (think I spelt wrongly). Fuel brought in once during his Aussie shipments.

that piece from australia turned out to be ID as E. stictus, but then corrected to E. mandibularis *tentaitve ID*. He also brought in E. lineatus from aussy. E. tigris is rarely available but also from aussy shipment.

Recently Digi and I saw E. opsifrontalis at CF, but now cant decide if it is that sp, or E. dillema.

there are many more sp but the rest such as the above, are either very rare, very confusing or expensive. hence i never bother to put down.

No lemon, it was ecsenius asutralianus, and fuel brought in a big batch. A $40 blenny, quite nice after it settles down in a reef tank.

Ecsenius stictus and mandibularis only came in one piece.

Yeah it's got a baby pink hue to it.

Wonder when Fuel is going to bring it in again. Read that it's endemic to Australian water.

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

• Senior Reefer

I remembered that my previous blennies don't play well with each other and usually only 1 is left after repeated aggression.

Any recommendations for those who would like to keep different species? (assuming enough spaces)

ecsenius blennies normally quite ok, especially the smaller species.

bigger species like midas, bicolor etc best to just keep one. in my 3.5ft tank i have 2 oculus and 1 pictus no problem.

• Senior Reefer

My small group of flavicauda anthias. all females but one of them is starting to change into a male.

the change started out very fast but is now slowing down again. but in time it will continue to become a male.

post-0-0-87348600-1384933203_thumb.png

post-0-0-45071000-1384933208_thumb.png

post-0-0-04091300-1384933210_thumb.png