Red Tree Sponge Coral

spgohjc

Just to share....

My so so Red Tree Sponge Coral (I stand to be corrected) - photo by iPhone

2 observations:

1. This sponge coral is really like a sponge, it can grow twice it's size and also contract to it's original size at different times.

2. The "white flowers" that appear on the branches do retract if touched. Looks like a cactus.

If anyone has another observations, please do share...

post-22849-0-77262900-1378730346_thumb.j

This is an easy coral to keep, hoe long did you have it and what did you feed it with?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Like the bright red, adds colour to the tank. Like a underwater cactus. ;) Kept for less than a week from LFS.. Fed only with liquid coral food. Anything to recommend?

Another observation:

3. Likes moderate flow and shaded lighting.

A word of caution about transferring this to your tank. Do not bring the coral out of the water for too long. If air gets into the "pores" where the "flowers" are, it might damage the coral. That also mean that you should not have algae growing on it as well.

• SRC Supporter

Like the bright red, adds colour to the tank. Like a underwater cactus. ;) Kept for less than a week from LFS.. Fed only with liquid coral food. Anything to recommend?

Another observation:

3. Likes moderate flow and shaded lighting.

Actually i mean this is not an easy coral to keep, it need good flow and feeding. Try sponge power from Zeovit if you can get some from freshnmarine.

Nice.

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

Actually i mean this is not an easy coral to keep, it need good flow and feeding. Try sponge power from Zeovit if you can get some from freshnmarine.

Thanks bro. Will see if I can get off the shelf first. Looks like a good product, helps to polish my water too.

Zeovit is an advanced system (as opposed to most of our Berlin systems) for nutrient export. Works so hard that you even need to add supplements and feed the corals more often. Have you used it?

u can see if they are not well when of coz the polys dun open and the sponge shrinking in size.

Yes, this coral filter feeds and if these 8 "hairy tentacles" don't come out, we may have a problem.

Close-up photo strictly under 10k lighting

post-22849-0-37931200-1378880500_thumb.j

Nice coral....can frag?Hehe

I guess so. :rolleyes:

Talking about frags, I need to buy some reef plugs. But most LFS don't sell them. Anyone knows where can I get them (cheap ones) or anyone has some to sell? Please PM me.

My zoos were "budding" and a couple fell off the mother colony by itself. :dunno: Didn't cut them. Currently just left them on the sand.

post-22849-0-01114100-1378888978_thumb.j