Tank planning help

Quas111

• SRC Member

Buy a 422 new tank if u can cos used tank may hv silicone issue leading to leak n chiller would be better to get 1/2 hp.

The 1/2 chiller would be around $120 more, which is a lot to me. Anyways the 1/4 hp is rated for up to 800l and the tank would be around 453l so the 1/4 would be enough. And for second hand tanks I won't buy anything older than 2 years(so that the silicone is still fresh) and at least 12mm thick, and if possible or needed, ill eurobrace the tank. Hopefully then it can last for around 4 to 6 years.

• SRC Member

Bro. Core component cannot save money de lol. It's rated for 800l. But if u check carefully. The newest hailea 1/2 is rated for only 500l

oh no I didn't realize that. I was looking at the old 1/4 :/ I guess I'll get the 1/2 then. Sigh more money to be spent :(

• SRC Member

definitely skimmer. chiller 1/4 or 1/2 hp is just going to determine how long issit gonna run. 1/2 hp uses more power but less running time which in turns incrase the lifespan of the chiller. Skimmer wise, i would say go all out if you have the money and if not, bubble magus C7 is the one of the best bang for the buck skimmer.

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

• SRC Member

definitely skimmer. chiller 1/4 or 1/2 hp is just going to determine how long issit gonna run. 1/2 hp uses more power but less running time which in turns incrase the lifespan of the chiller. Skimmer wise, i would say go all out if you have the money and if not, bubble magus C7 is the one of the best bang for the buck skimmer.

ok then I'll invest in a better skimmer and a cheaper chiller. Thanks!

• SRC Member

Bro. Core component cannot save money de lol. It's rated for 800l. But if u check carefully. The newest hailea 1/2 is rated for only 500l

Hailea Hs-90 1/2hp is rated for 1000L while hs-66a 1/4hp is 650L

Bro, u haven't include cabinet hhaha. The last i checked, 4x2ft cabinet is $700.

Domt get hailea pump. 1750L/r for 50watts ? Get a tesino pump to feed the chiller will be good. Mine running 21w for 3000l/hr only. U save 28watts and u save $5.3 every month on electricity bill.

Changed all my pump ti energy saving ones and i calculated saved like $13/month

How about equipments for np pellet (reduce nitrate) and rowaphos(reduce phosphate)?

These are optional but its good to have :D

And the atlantic glass, is very on time. Told me 16july , and on 16july can collect. Although mine have 2-3bubbles in the silicone at the bottom of tank, but nothing is perfect one lah hhaha

For return pump, maybe u can consider jebao dc-6000 or dc-3000, its the 2nd gen of the waveline dc pump . Was told its selling in sg here this weekend. ( cant wait to get ) LOL

Cheers

| Display : 48x30x22 Skimmer : SK-201 skimz

| Sump : 30x24x18 Wavemaker : 2x RW-15 , 1x RW-8

| Cooling : 1HP titanium drop in coil ATO : JBJ

| Lighting : ATI Sunpower 8x54w + 48x cree xte royal blue Return : Jebao dc-6000

| Dosing : Jebao dosing pump [ CaCl2 + NaHCO3 ] Pump :

| Reactor : FSZ Z160 zeolite reactor & phosban 150

| System : ZEOVIT

decomm-ed :

Ydkm SPS reef

:wub: >><< :wub:

• SRC Member

Oh btw got my 4x2x1.5 (bottom braced and front panel crystal) with 3x1.5x1.5 sump for like 438 only ( exclude delivery since my dad collected for me ) .

Recently went to GO , walked pass atlantic glass, saw like 8 tanks made and placed properly, tanks are all made by the woman there alone ( very power ) hahah. She made tanks for the lfs, tjats why its cheaper bah

If u dont want go through the trouble by setting up all the piping yourself, can get one of the tank maker conpany to do it for you. Last i checked is 120~150.

| Lighting : ATI Sunpower 8x54w + 48x cree xte royal blue Return : Jebao dc-6000

decomm-ed :

Ydkm SPS reef

• SRC Member

Cheers

I think I read from my manual that came with my hs 90a. It says for 500l only. I know all websites say 1000l to 1200l. Anyone else can confirm? I threw my manual away already. Not very sure

• SRC Member

I think I read from my manual that came with my hs 90a. It says for 500l only. I know all websites say 1000l to 1200l. Anyone else can confirm? I threw my manual away already. Not very sure

most probably its referring to setting the lowest temperature the chiller can go. :cheers: will see my hs 66a manual when im home .

decomm-ed :

Ydkm SPS reef

• SRC Member

most probably its referring to setting the lowest temperature the chiller can go. :cheers: will see my hs 66a manual when im home .

honesty all the chiller "ratings" are just gauges only. It's not like the chiller will blow up if you exceed by 20 liters right? I mean yes it will strain but I'm not even gonna exceed the rating so I'm fine with the cheaper model :)

• SRC Member

Bro, u haven't include cabinet hhaha. The last i checked, 4x2ft cabinet is $700.

Domt get hailea pump. 1750L/r for 50watts ? Get a tesino pump to feed the chiller will be good. Mine running 21w for 3000l/hr only. U save 28watts and u save $5.3 every month on electricity bill.

Changed all my pump ti energy saving ones and i calculated saved like $13/month

How about equipments for np pellet (reduce nitrate) and rowaphos(reduce phosphate)?

These are optional but its good to have :D

And the atlantic glass, is very on time. Told me 16july , and on 16july can collect. Although mine have 2-3bubbles in the silicone at the bottom of tank, but nothing is perfect one lah hhaha

For return pump, maybe u can consider jebao dc-6000 or dc-3000, its the 2nd gen of the waveline dc pump . Was told its selling in sg here this weekend. ( cant wait to get ) LOL

Cheers

woah cabinet so expensive ah? Then definitely gonna get 2nd hand haha. But will definitely look around first :P anyways I'm gonna be really free during the holidays so I prefer to have a tank come late and be super neat than a tank come with a half past six kind of job being done :)

Oh oopsies I forgot to change the pump to a different model :/ argh I guess it's more money spent then :'(

And the pump I like the octopus pump more cause it has the feeder settings and other things like that. I would most likely stick to it!

• SRC Member

If u dont want go through the trouble by setting up all the piping yourself, can get one of the tank maker conpany to do it for you. Last i checked is 120~150.

don't worry I can set up the piping myself :) I just need the tank maker to make the appropriate holes to make plumbing easier

• SRC Member

woah cabinet so expensive ah? Then definitely gonna get 2nd hand haha. But will definitely look around first :P anyways I'm gonna be really free during the holidays so I prefer to have a tank come late and be super neat than a tank come with a half past six kind of job being done :)

Oh oopsies I forgot to change the pump to a different model :/ argh I guess it's more money spent then :'(

And the pump I like the octopus pump more cause it has the feeder settings and other things like that. I would most likely stick to it!

jebao dc also have feed mode . :thumbsup:

decomm-ed :

Ydkm SPS reef

• SRC Member

jebao dc also have feed mode . :thumbsup:

oh nice :) but I did some research and there are a lot of people complaining how it is a waveline rebranding. If so is the original waveline cheaper and as good as the jebao? Anyways I saw some pics and the reef octopus looks so much cooler. Ill wait for the jebao and compare prices first before I choose one of them :)

• SRC Member

We shojld be glad that there is such good products from china that made this hobby much more affordable.. dont understand why would they make such a big fuss about it. Jebao is definitely cheaper than waveline, and from some reviews, jebao dc seems to have good reviews so far.

decomm-ed :

Ydkm SPS reef

• SRC Member

i must say jebao is becoming better and better all these years,

agreee :thumbsup:

decomm-ed :

Ydkm SPS reef

For big tank, the amount you state should be for a 2nd hand tank set, please remember to set a side around 200-300 for delivery of tank depending on how big your tank.

For equipment, depend on your budget, technology is improving and china brand is getting better but for the china brand, luck is very important. If lucky can last 1-2 yrs. if not then 1-2 week problem surface. Euro brand is super ex but super reliable, luck is not a factor.

When your sps collection start to get serious and more exotic, and not at home most of the time or need to travel often. Reliability becomes super important.

Ultimately think carefully and know what you want before you start buying, all the best. =)

5x2.5x1.5ft Rimless Dream Tank (06/03/12)
Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Return Pump - 1 x Eheim 1264, 1 x water blaster 7k
Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es
Chiller - Daikin compressor with coil drop in
Lighting - 4 x 80w T5 Pair 1(6hrs23/12/12),Pair 2(16/06/12312hrs 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (1/3/12) -(15/11/12)6hrs and 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (13/10/12) -6hrs)
Reactor - Dosing pump (01/01/11)

• SRC Member

For big tank, the amount you state should be for a 2nd hand tank set, please remember to set a side around 200-300 for delivery of tank depending on how big your tank.

For equipment, depend on your budget, technology is improving and china brand is getting better but for the china brand, luck is very important. If lucky can last 1-2 yrs. if not then 1-2 week problem surface. Euro brand is super ex but super reliable, luck is not a factor.

When your sps collection start to get serious and more exotic, and not at home most of the time or need to travel often. Reliability becomes super important.

Ultimately think carefully and know what you want before you start buying, all the best. =)

ill upgrade equipment like the skimmer when I start sps :P probably higher end china brands though haha German brands are too ex for my budget

• SRC Member

ill upgrade equipment like the skimmer when I start sps :P probably higher end china brands though haha German brands are too ex for my budget

• SRC Member

Dont need get german brands haha . get skimz. Local brand, gotten quite alot of good review.

decomm-ed :

Ydkm SPS reef

• SRC Member

Dont need get german brands haha . get skimz. Local brand, gotten quite alot of good review.

Haha I'll think about my later upgrades another time. Now I'll focus on setting up a tank properly first