Tank planning help

Quas111

• SRC Member

Alright I have finalized some things(99.99% won't change):

- lights will be maxspect razor

- tank would be 422

- chiller would be hailea 1/4

Now it's time to decide on the skimmer etc etc. I messaged Victor from iWarna on the cost to set up a 422 tank, and he said it would be $1280. The budget for the tank also increased to $4000, so the price is more comfortable now :D now I have to decide if I am gonna stick with Victors "basic setup" or choose the equipment myself (most likely the latter I'm not satisfied with his skimmer)

What's your opinion on this? Should I use his setup or should I customize the equipment selection myself? And anyone here used his basic equipment selection before? Good or not? Thanks! :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

• SRC Member
Alright I have finalized some things(99.99% won't change): - lights will be maxspect razor - tank would be 422 - chiller would be hailea 1/4 Now it's time to decide on the skimmer etc etc. I messaged Victor from iWarna on the cost to set up a 422 tank, and he said it would be $1280. The budget for the tank also increased to $4000, so the price is more comfortable now :D now I have to decide if I am gonna stick with Victors "basic setup" or choose the equipment myself (most likely the latter I'm not satisfied with his skimmer) What's your opinion on this? Should I use his setup or should I customize the equipment selection myself? And anyone here used his basic equipment selection before? Good or not? Thanks! :D Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1'>now Free
Just giving u some tips, for 4 2 2 use hailea 1/2hp. I was using 1/2 hp on my 4 2 2 and take about 45min to chill down 1 degree. For 1/4hp, i think its going to take longer.

• SRC Member
tEc" post="1133810" timestamp="1379876263"]Just giving u some tips, for 4 2 2 use hailea 1/2hp. I was using 1/2 hp on my 4 2 2 and take about 45min to chill down 1 degree. For 1/4hp, i think its going to take longer.
Bro what is your sump size? My 4x2x1.5 with 3x1.5x1.5 sump takes 45mins to chill down on 1/4 too but its 27degree haha

| Display : 48x30x22 Skimmer : SK-201 skimz

| Sump : 30x24x18 Wavemaker : 2x RW-15 , 1x RW-8

| Cooling : 1HP titanium drop in coil ATO : JBJ

| Lighting : ATI Sunpower 8x54w + 48x cree xte royal blue Return : Jebao dc-6000

| Dosing : Jebao dosing pump [ CaCl2 + NaHCO3 ] Pump :

| Reactor : FSZ Z160 zeolite reactor & phosban 150

| System : ZEOVIT

decomm-ed :

Ydkm SPS reef

:wub: >><< :wub:

• SRC Member

Just giving u some tips, for 4 2 2 use hailea 1/2hp. I was using 1/2 hp on my 4 2 2 and take about 45min to chill down 1 degree. For 1/4hp, i think its going to take longer.

I may get a better chiller depending on the remaining money. I'm gonna use the hs series too not the ha series

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

• SRC Member

Hi guys, I was looking through a lot of websites, and I thought maybe it would be good it I have metal halides and LEDs for the tank. What do you guys feel about this and what metal halide brands are better than the others(and affordable too)

Dream big, achieve bigger

• SRC Member

in my opinion, MH still provide better coloration and growth for the corals. Of course the downside would be the heat and the high power consumption.

yeah the power consumption is crazily high compared to LEDs. I'm still sitting on the fence on what kind of light to get :/ but if I think it would most likely be LEDs haha they seem like the best option for me now

Dream big, achieve bigger

• SRC Supporter

some core items that cannot be compromise or changed easily in future, you would consider spending more on them.

the rest such as wavemaker, lighting etc.. maybe you can hold back first. after all you need to cycle and corals that demand more of such would be of later stage too.

let your pocket take a break and then shop again. :)

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

• SRC Member

some core items that cannot be compromise or changed easily in future, you would consider spending more on them.

the rest such as wavemaker, lighting etc.. maybe you can hold back first. after all you need to cycle and corals that demand more of such would be of later stage too.

let your pocket take a break and then shop again. :)

I have already decided all the equiptnent I would use. The things which I would buy later would be the chiller and the wave makers, as they are not really needed by the initial cycle, and the chiller would just slow the cycle down :)

• SRC Member

Okie time for some updates :) these past few days I haven't been doing any research and the most recent thing I did was to simply compile the equipment

Light: 2x Pharos 90w

$400x2

=$800

I'm going for 2 Pharos cause the tanks gonna be 422 so I will have better light spread with 2 Pharos modules rather than 1 maxspect

Skimmer: skimz sk201 (kone)

$490

Return pump: jebao DC 12000

$200

Live rock: ~50kg

$3x50

=$150

Tank: 422

$1250 custom made

Wave maker: wp25+wp40

$75+$90

Dosing pump: marine magic

$200

Chiller: 1/2 hp hailea

$579

Substrate: 1x Caribsea arag alive +2 x coral sand size no. 0

$60

Total: $3794

• SRC Member

I would top up a little and go for 2x120w maxspect razor. Or wait for the new razor 200w (36inches long) instead of pharos.. But that's just me.

oh I didn't hear about the razor 200w. When is it going to be released? My tank can be without light for around a month(cycling). It should be better than 2 Pharos in terms of strength so if it's reasonably priced I may get it

• SRC Member

Was told mid Oct released.. Maybe Nov can get it? Pricing wise should be around the price of ur 2 pharos too..

ok haha I'll see first bro! Even though it may be more powerful the Pharos may have better light spread so I won't put my money onto anything yet!

• SRC Member

Nice setup!!...Not using any FR??

Nope :) not yet! I may get a fluidized reactor when the tank has been set up and It has cycled, but I don't have the budget for it yet

• SRC Supporter

if budget is a concern, the lights can still wait during cycling.

make a trip to the fish channel and look at the spread of AI Vega. personally i find the spread very good. the spread is better if you hang them higher.

[ ]

[ ]

Reef Reefing Reefed

• SRC Member

if budget is a concern, the lights can still wait during cycling.

make a trip to the fish channel and look at the spread of AI Vega. personally i find the spread very good. the spread is better if you hang them higher.

Al Vega looks nice but it may be a bit too expensive :( if I'm not wrong it's around $500-$600 for a 95w, which is a lot for my current budget. I wanted to get 2 Pharos cos the light would be coming from 2 points into the water, not just 1. And the budget won't change before or after the cycling, so it won't matter if I wait or not. I will still look around anyways. Thanks for your suggestion!