Cheap ATS advice

nicreef

• SRC Member

Been trying to get a ATS to fit into my tank for some time and finally thought of trying this out:

post-19782-0-79778300-1382958834.jpg

No3 has yet to go down after a week of using but just wanted to be sure that the ATS is setted up correctly since the algae seems more...reddish brown than green as i see in the videos for ATS.

from what i read i just need light and flow on the ATS for it to work right? currently depending on the the light for the cheetos (lumen aqua led). flow wise i am tapping onto the natural flow in the sump. or did i seed it with the wrong algae?

Been trying to get a ATS to fit into my tank for some time and finally thought of trying this out:

attachicon.gifIMG_4064.JPG

No3 has yet to go down after a week of using but just wanted to be sure that the ATS is setted up correctly since the algae seems more...reddish brown than green as i see in the videos for ATS.

from what i read i just need light and flow on the ATS for it to work right? currently depending on the the light for the cheetos (lumen aqua led). flow wise i am tapping onto the natural flow in the sump. or did i seed it with the wrong algae?

Hi fren,

From what I know, u need a piece of roughened mat (use a knife with a scraping edge or a hacksaw blade) and warm white light. If u get blue green algae within a week, then u need stronger lighting.

• SRC Member

how is the water flow ? need to be quite fast (mine is around 2000+ litre per hour)

may want to try seeding with some green hair algae

flow i really not sure....lol can i say that the flow rate is the same as my return pump since i am relying on the natural flow within the sump? if so it would be ard 4000 litre

Hi fren,

From what I know, u need a piece of roughened mat (use a knife with a scraping edge or a hacksaw blade) and warm white light. If u get blue green algae within a week, then u need stronger lighting.

hm thought i saw santa monica thread was using cotton or maybe read wrongly.

sorry for the slow reply had to deal with anemone shake today in tank.....

O ya actually this ATS can be bought at 328...the carbon filter for freshwater overhanging fitler. i just cut a hole in the bottom to empty out the carbon content washed and use. It can also float on the water surface which is why mine just nice stay in that position i guess without using glue or clips. Hope it works den can easily get a ATS at less than $10 i think...not sure coz bought long ago just happen to stumble onto it again.

• Like 1

flow i really not sure....lol can i say that the flow rate is the same as my return pump since i am relying on the natural flow within the sump? if so it would be ard 4000 litre

hm thought i saw santa monica thread was using cotton or maybe read wrongly.

sorry for the slow reply had to deal with anemone shake today in tank.....

O ya actually this ATS can be bought at 328...the carbon filter for freshwater overhanging fitler. i just cut a hole in the bottom to empty out the carbon content washed and use. It can also float on the water surface which is why mine just nice stay in that position i guess without using glue or clips. Hope it works den can easily get a ATS at less than $10 i think...not sure coz bought long ago just happen to stumble onto it again.

Hi there again,

Though u r using the horizontal method (I wuz using it initially) it'll still be better if u use one of those plastic netting from the hardware store. Mine's green in colour. Scraping the surface to roughen it will definitely get better results.

Since u've read Santa Monica's threads, maybe u should try 2 get those red leds used by him. His floating ATS is a prickly plastic box with the threads to enable the algae to grow vertically for better light penetration and easier harvestinng.

• 2 years later...