Algae scrubber vs refugium:Effectiveness?

MAG

I using ATS for about 2 years. NO3 and PO4 is always near 0.

Clearing of turf varies from tank to tank.

I harvest every 6 weeks

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• SRC Member
What is the cost of a ATS? I am not good with DIY.
Can check with gemsurfs. Think they have. Diy think not very hard. Planning one for my new tank. Will use together with a refugium. Refugium to grow pods

Clem's Clam Corner (Decommed)

60cm x 40cm x 30cm Tank

Nano tank reboot v2.0

• SRC Member

Wonder if use ATS and refugium can share same light? Kill two birds at the same time.I hv huge area in my sump. So wana mk full use of it. Unfortunately iwarna don't build algae scrubber. My concern is ATS needs pump+light=higher pub bill. I'm trying to source for smthi that can remove bad algae(lower or zero no3&po4) and at the same time doesn't increase our pub bill. Smone suggested bio sphere to me. Anyone tried this product?

• SRC Member

Dozing certain product to reduce no3&po4 is not in my plan bcos of work commitment + cost(I hv 6fts tank+4fts sump). Also not practical for long term. Of course changing nsw water often is another option which I'm using now. Engaging iwarna for chgi nsw every once in 2-3weeks.

You can make use of your overflow to flow over the ATS to save some power.

But you still need the light .

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• 1 month later...

Wonder if use ATS and refugium can share same light? Kill two birds at the same time.I hv huge area in my sump. So wana mk full use of it. Unfortunately iwarna don't build algae scrubber. My concern is ATS needs pump+light=higher pub bill. I'm trying to source for smthi that can remove bad algae(lower or zero no3&po4) and at the same time doesn't increase our pub bill. Smone suggested bio sphere to me. Anyone tried this product?

What kind of ATS are you looking at? There are infinite ways to build an ATS and fuge. ATS is used ONLY to grow and harvest algae for nutrient export. A fuge serves multiple purposes depending on how you build it. Both ways do not always require separate equipment. If you have a large, fixed sump that you do not want to move, then ATS is probably the way to go. The best fuge IMO provides algae harvest, water volume, and extra food and plankton. You generally can't get extra food if you have high flow, which means you have to install baffles in your sump - and can't do that if it's filled.

If you are not looking to add to the PUB bill, why not install a small fuge inside of your display (how big is your tank) that shares the same lighting? You can also try deep sand bed (6+ inches of sand), more live rock, or try adding DSB to your sump.

• 3 months later...

In theory, both do the same thing of reducing No3 and po4. Question is which is more effective. End of the day it boils down to how big either one u are running. Its not fair to assume a big refugium is more effective than a small ATS. If given the space, i will run a refugium as it has grows more beneficial organism that will benefit the overall health of the tank. If space is an issue, than running an ATS will help for sure.

• Like 1

I Love Stagsss

• SRC Member

I have started my ats n refugium for about a month. Had some die of for my chaeto initially. But soon it reached an certain size and just maintain there. Now have undetectable nitrate and phosphate. Also can see quite a few pods in chaeto. Also have a bamboo algae with it

60cm x 40cm x 30cm Tank

Nano tank reboot v2.0

I have started my ats n refugium for about a month. Had some die of for my chaeto initially. But soon it reached an certain size and just maintain there. Now have undetectable nitrate and phosphate. Also can see quite a few pods in chaeto. Also have a bamboo algae with it
do you mind showing a photo of you ats setup? I am curious on how it works. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My Wish List

- Black Ocellaris

- Royal Grammar

- Orchid Dottyback

- Rose Anemone

- Zoos (all kinds!)

- Purple People Eater

- Floridae Rics

Well, see u have achieved ur goal. Then keep it this way. S 4 me I don't mix my refugium with the ATS.

do you mind showing a photo of you ats setup? I am curious on how it works. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

U can see plenty of ATS setup on the net. It all depends on the type of sump u use. The ATS can be placed horizontally or hung vertically. U can see ATCraz's Ikea tub version. That's a good setup.

10270498_10152140787388335_5736810125090

10174849_10152140787378335_8123262311905

1625454_10152140787373335_32502057559551

Note that u r not using chaeto but other types of macroalgae. Actually fellow reefers recommend chaeto s they don't explode n turn the water milky. N ur screen is not wholly covered by the red leds. BTW how many led bulbs r u using n what's the wattage of each diode?

• SRC Member

Cause my screen a bit too big, if want to put further also can. total is 9w led. the spot with the led grows very well, every 2 weeks must clean. the white one is 20w spiral bulb

60cm x 40cm x 30cm Tank

Nano tank reboot v2.0

initially i placed it further back to get more coverage, but the growth not alot, so trying to place it closer

Get those that are 3w each but must cover the screen well. I use a Panasonic warm white spiral of 25w 'cos its red spectrum's gd for the algae..

The result will stun u!