Hi All

Hi all,

Trying out a 1feet cube tank.

currently using fan and ehiem 2213 as it is my spare filter.

how long do I need to clean my filter? does washing also kill the bacteria?

currently have harlequin shrimp x2, pair of clown and 2 goby. alternate day feeding of frozen cube and pellets. dosing liquid for coral.

also does my coral (front one)grow very bif? I am able to see the base when I bought it 1 week ago now its like filled with water.

Can more livestock or coral go in?

Is white or blue light better for zoas?

TQ all..

post-23100-0-61696300-1387465233_thumb.j

Hi all, Trying out a 1feet cube tank. currently using fan and ehiem 2213 as it is my spare filter. how long do I need to clean my filter? does washing also kill the bacteria? currently have harlequin shrimp x2, pair of clown and 2 goby. alternate day feeding of frozen cube and pellets. dosing liquid for coral. also does my coral (front one)grow very bif? I am able to see the base when I bought it 1 week ago now its like filled with water. Can more livestock or coral go in? Is white or blue light better for zoas? TQ all..
What kinda gobies do you have?

One is the pic attached.the other is a normal colour with a black fin below. I do not know e name coral.
This is orange mandarin fish, not a goby. Female one if I'm not wrong. Ur coral look like long tentacle plate.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• SRC Member

Seems like you are quite new to marine if i'm not wrong.

Mandarin fish are not really easy fish to keep if you do not know unless you have lots of pods.

2x2x1.5

======

Maxspect Gyre

Maxspect Razer 120w 16k

H2O FR with Rowa

Eheim Universal 2400

BM Nac 5.5

JBJ Arctica 1/10Hp

A lil worried when you mentioned harlequin shrimp. They normally slowly munch their dying starfish and the wound of the starfish will decompose and slowly waste off that will produce high nutrient.

May i know do you have a skimmer ?

If not i'll suggest you to do more water change . 20-30% every week since your tank volume is small .

Alternatively, u can cut off bits of the leg and left the remaining in a small breeding box for it to heal.

May i know if your tank is cycled ?

[DECOMMEND]

Tank : 24" x 12" x 15" Acrylic Gex Tank

Lightings : Maxspect Razor 120W , Maxspect G2 160W ( Sold )
Skimmer : Red Sea Prizm
Dosing : Brightwell Aquatics Microbacter7,
Brightwell Aquatics Biofuel, Florida Aqua Farms It's Clear,

Florida Aqua Farms Coralline Stimulator.

Wavemaker : Tunze Nanostream 6015

Thanks for

A lil worried when you mentioned harlequin shrimp. They normally slowly munch their dying starfish and the wound of the starfish will decompose and slowly waste off that will produce high nutrient. May i know do you have a skimmer ? If not i'll suggest you to do more water change . 20-30% every week since your tank volume is small . Alternatively, u can cut off bits of the leg and left the remaining in a small breeding box for it to heal.May i know if your tank is cycled ?
Thanks for the reply..the best part about going to aquarium is u get lots of different replies from owners. I went to 2 shops and both say OK to put livestock after a week. I am using water purchased from shop and fishes are doing well n feeding. Different shops have different opinion re salt mix and sea water too. Tank is small So seawater is easier for me. Harlequin shrimp is still feasting on the starfish. I will remove once they are ignoring the star.. I have No Skimmer as most are too big for my small tank. Livestock are bought after checking with shop If they can Co exist or Igor they are difficult to rear. I stay near pasir ris farmway So very convenient to buy things.

Thanks for Thanks for the reply..the best part about going to aquarium is u get lots of different replies from owners.I went to 2 shops and both say OK to put livestock after a week. I am using water purchased from shop and fishes are doing well n feeding. Different shops have different opinion re salt mix and sea water too. Tank is small So seawater is easier for me.Harlequin shrimp is still feasting on the starfish. I will remove once they are ignoring the star..I have No Skimmer as most are too big for my small tank.Livestock are bought after checking with shop If they can Co exist or Igor they are difficult to rear. I stay near pasir ris farmway So very convenient to buy things.
Great ! Relieved to hear you are staying near them. Do not add anymore fish or livestock for the time being - till your tank reaches 1 month old . Since you have not yet cycle your water, just simply buy a big container to store water and perform more water change. Just buy salt mix water dont get seawater if u intend to store for backup.As sea water has living organism which will die off thus cannot stored in container for long if remain stagnant. Remember to top up evaporated water with distilled water ( not tap water or seawater). You should observe for hair algae and diatom during this period while getting a test kit. Get to know reefer near you if can, incase when situation went out of control . You can ask him to temporary home/ keep ur coral :) All the best !

[DECOMMEND]

Tank : 24" x 12" x 15" Acrylic Gex Tank

Lightings : Maxspect Razor 120W , Maxspect G2 160W ( Sold )
Skimmer : Red Sea Prizm
Dosing : Brightwell Aquatics Microbacter7,
Brightwell Aquatics Biofuel, Florida Aqua Farms It's Clear,

Florida Aqua Farms Coralline Stimulator.

Wavemaker : Tunze Nanostream 6015

Thanks for the reply..especially Carfyx.

Cannot resist and bought some coral and was also asking about cost of starting a 2.5-3 feet tank.

tank too small really not fun...can see but cannot buy..

When I was admiring the coral.. I saw some shape in it.. and when I look closer... I saw a crab..

is this a pest? do I need to remove it?

and I also saw my clowns nipping at my zoas..do they usually do that?

TQ

post-23100-0-69499100-1387731219_thumb.j

post-23100-0-37045400-1387731302_thumb.j

Try to get rid of the crab as it might eat your soft corals or fish if it manage to grab hole of one. I don't think the clown will nip at the zoas but probably it could be looking for some food at the zoas.

Tank: 3.5ft x 2ft x 1.5ft, 12mm

Sump: 3ft

Skimmer: Bubble Magus Curve 7

Lightings: Maxspect 15000k

Return Pump: Eheim 1252

Wavemaker: Jebao WP25, Jebao RW-8

• 4 weeks later...

Nice effort in starting your tank! Looking good! I agree with bro Carfyx.

May I suggest to do more reading in this forum. To prevent further pest infestation, look up on dipping solutions for your corals like Coral RX or Revive.

I have learnt A LOT from all the seniors here about this hobby. Take what LFS tell you with a grain of salt.