Fish for a cool water tank

• SRC Member
I think with some of the species, you could go a couple of degrees higher than 20oC. Trachinops taeniatus, Enoplosus armatus, Cleidopus gloriamaris and Chelmonops truncatus all range up into southern Queensland (though only just for some!) ... so are warm temperate to subtropical species. Water temps in my area (on the central coast of New South Wales, just north of Sydney) range from about 17-26oC. The temps are highest between about January and May, when a lot of juveniles of tropical species turn up (carried down as larvae on the East Australian Current). Tony
Welcome to our forum,Tony. Hope you can post pictures of your tank. It would be great to be an eyeopener for us.
  • Like 1

Tank Theme: Mixed Reef with clams

3 feet tank with IOS

Eheim 1262

K3 wavemaker x1

Lightings: T5 actinic blue x4 , T5 white x4

Skimmer: BMQQ

Artica 1/5

Dosing: NA

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reefing is sharing. People with rotten mouth is sure a loser for life as expected. When a tomato gets rotten, you can nvr save it.. Throw it away before it infect the good ones.

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

• 1 month later...

Blue devil is quite tolerant of higher temp. Good choice.

The ich was brought by the boxfishes sharing the same row of tanks.

The fish is strong, so the ich should clear in a few days.

Split fins is superficial. Will heal very quickly.

• 1 month later...

Used to keep pot-bellied seahorses ( Hippocampus abdominalis) in my tank which is in a room that is Aircon 24 hr to grow cool-growing cloud forest orchids. The water temperatures varied from 20-22c. The optimal temp for these is 19 c but 22c seemed ok for them. When Aircon broke down and temperatures soared , they perished rather quickly. Got them from coralfarm last time.

• 3 months later...
  • SRC Member
Get a higher hp chiller, it will help save on power consumption and lesser running and temp fluctuations. It depend you want coolwater or deepwater or fishes that can do well in cooler waters.. Deepwater fishes does well in cool water setting as at the depth they are found, the temp is quite low too. If you are not too particular as in whether they are found temperate region there are a few deepwater fishes you can consider.. For real coldwater tank, it is still not done in sg, although we are able to get lfs to bring in fishes from uk, we just dun have enough interest, expertise and experience in them.. Most of the problem is the cost of the tank setup and long term upkeeping of the setup..
I do apologise in advance if this is too late a reply on the thread but I never knew lfs can bring in uk fishes. What sorts can they bring in?