Feeder Shrimps

I did a little experiment by dropping 2 freshwater feeder shrimps ($1 per pack) into my saltwater tank. Surprisingly the two shrimps did very well and are feeding off the sandbed all day fighting food with the hermits. Their color changed from clear transparent to slightly opaque. Does that mean they are now suitable for saltwater fish consumption? So now I can have easy access to cheap live food? Any idea?

Why all the venom? Reefing is just a hobby, dude.

• SRC Member
I did a little experiment by dropping 2 freshwater feeder shrimps ($1 per pack) into my saltwater tank. Surprisingly the two shrimps did very well and are feeding off the sandbed all day fighting food with the hermits. Their color changed from clear transparent to slightly opaque. Does that mean they are now suitable for saltwater fish consumption? So now I can have easy access to cheap live food? Any idea?

No idea. Never have such idea beofre. MayB you can try and keep us updated. But careful not to pollute the water and kill the fishes and corals :rolleyes:

dino07.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

I did feed those to my eel before. They weren't really interested. But the dead ones, the cleaner shrimps love!! They will rip off the head and eat the insides. What's left behind are the shells. Quite a mess. I stopped.

Most of them don't live beyond a day or two inside.

• SRC Member

They just die a lot slower because the shell slows down them losing body fluids to the saltwater.

• 7 months later...

i feed those shrimps to my snowflake moray, but they always die before it can get them. to avoid fouling up the water, i have to handfeed the eel with the dead shrimp.

does anyone know where to get small feeder crabs? perhaps they are a more pratical way of feeding carnivorous fish.

• SRC Member

i use to feed my triggers, wrasses, hawkfish,eels, lionfishes live shrimps..

they love it!!

its quite fascinating seeing the hawkfish hunt and catching it b4 the bigger fishes!

i think it helps to 'wear down' my triggers teeth (no facts, just my assumption).

but i stop coz now not easy to find live shrimps. <_<

so far no side effects .... except bigger tummies..

but heard that letting your fishes 'catch' their own food makes them more aggressive! :pinch:

• SRC Member

If you drop the whole pack into the tank- only 10% will survive. The shock of different water parameters will kill them off.

What you can do is, use a plastic tank & slowly convert them into the same salinity as the tank water. There will still be die offs from the weaker ones but you will get the majority of the ghost shrimps to survive.

slow means maybe add a cup or two of salt water(tank water) a day to the tank holding the shrimps.Empty out half when it gets full then continue till you reach full salinity.They can be fed with frozen bloodworms or any dry pellet foods.

i tried feedin my father's grouper n large wrasse with freshwater shrimps....imo they can't survive too long around a few hours to a day...once they turns opaque it usually means de body of the shrimp is dying soon. den slowly the shrimp will die too... i feel it will make good food if yr fish eats it in a short time....