Red Sea Salt

dryDiver

I have used Red Sea previously, their packaging was white. You need to wait for a day or two before it totally dissolves. Looks like it is still the same now. But as far as I know, Red Sea has been around for a very very long time. I guess it must have its market share for being able to survive for so long.

My Wish List

- Black Ocellaris

- Royal Grammar

- Orchid Dottyback

- Rose Anemone

- Zoos (all kinds!)

- Purple People Eater

- Floridae Rics

• SRC Member

I believe the reason for the murky water is either:

1. you did not aerate the salt mix

2. the tank was not totally clean before you mixed the salt (residue from decom setup?)

3. the salt is contaminated

I am using Red Sea salt and so far it is fast to dissolve and the only time I experience any chalkiness is when the salt has not fully dissolved.

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

• SRC Member

i would say if you did the correct and proper way of salt mixing, and this happens out of a sudden, either this salt went bad or it was a bad batch.

i have thus far went through 3 22kg tubs of RSCP, only 1 tub gave me slight cloudy issue which is not really an issue btw. the other 2 were perfect and mixed really fast and well.

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

Guys , I also use rscps, and i am finding that if i let sit for more than 4 hours i get a fallout and very chalky water. ive been using it anyways, but im not satisfied. i end up flushing the left over residue, which must be all the good stuff from the water..... Not sure why it would be best usedd within 4hrs of mixing, but now i will go back to that method. Jw

** Coming Soon ** 4x2x2 from Oceansing

1) Red Sea Max 130D

Stunner LED strip 24v 453nm Actinic Blue

2) 130liter nano from Pasir Ris... generic, but fun!

3) 300mm cube tank
Ecoxotic Par 38 tri-colour, PAR38 Aquarium LED 6-453nm Blue 4-6500k 2-Red
Eheim-Compact 600 Return Pump

• SRC Member

Guys ,I also use rscps, and i am finding that if i let sit for more than 4 hours i get a fallout and very chalky water. ive been using it anyways, but im not satisfied. i end up flushing the left over residue, which must be all the good stuff from the water.....Not sure why it would be best usedd within 4hrs of mixing, but now i will go back to that method. Jw

Hi, check ur mixed water sit for 4 hours is with any powerhead circulating the water?..cheers

@ 291213

Updated video: Kenyee FOWLR

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos

• SRC Member

Rscp is unforgiving ehhh. U gotta follow the instructions specifically otherwise newly mixed water would be chalky.

Good question is whether the chalky water usable?

-----any experience for reefers? Whether as top up or for a whole new tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use an eheim 1000 for mixing, so it looks great after 15 minutes, but then at some point after that there is fall-out. I'll have to re-read the instructions and see if it happens again. Thanks, guys.

** Coming Soon ** 4x2x2 from Oceansing

1) Red Sea Max 130D

Stunner LED strip 24v 453nm Actinic Blue

2) 130liter nano from Pasir Ris... generic, but fun!

3) 300mm cube tank
Ecoxotic Par 38 tri-colour, PAR38 Aquarium LED 6-453nm Blue 4-6500k 2-Red
Eheim-Compact 600 Return Pump

I find that Red Sea salt, when freshly opened, tend to dissolve more easily compared to that which was left opened and partially used. I find that the substance of the salt has changed a bit when left exposed, as if it absorbed water from the humid atmosphere.

• SRC Member

Rscp is unforgiving ehhh. U gotta follow the instructions specifically otherwise newly mixed water would be chalky.

Good question is whether the chalky water usable?

-----any experience for reefers? Whether as top up or for a whole new tank.

Have Used It before..Skimmer Will Clear The Stained Water..But lost A Couple of Torches..LPS..Dont know Whther It Has got To do anything with ir but Params Were Spot on..I Suspect RSCPS.

Cheers!

300Gallons of Pure Goodness! >Dimensions 6x2x2 (Foot)

1: Maxspect 160 Watt qty-2

2: Vortech MP 40 Wes

3:Jaebao WP40 qty-2

3: Skimz Becket Skimmer/ Ehiem 1260

4: Dymax XC 900 Calcium Reactor

5: American Pinpoint PH Controller

6: Iwaki MD 55 And MD 70 (Return)

7: Hydra Aquatics FR45 Reactor

8:Hailea 10HP Chiller

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html

• Moderators

Just sharing my own experience. I have been using RSCP for more than 1 year with supplies from various places like Irwana, C328 and AM and occasionally H2Ocean depending on prices i can get.

Only 1 pail has this cloudy issue but i have no issue with dead life stock continuing using it till the sale depleted. I have 3 tanks. 2 Mixed reef predominantly SPS and 1 fowlr.

Maybe TS can try to clean the holding tank again once more and see if the same happen. Alternatively, I can pass you some of my RSCP and you mixed it in your holding tank. If the result is cloudy in your holding tank. It can mean your holding tank might have issue, etc.

P.S. I don't earn commission from any sales of RS salt. I believe it is good if we can help determine the fact if it is a batch issue or holding tank issue instead.

Tom

• SRC Member

So I threw that chalky water away, re: my 2nd pic. Didn't want to risk my fishes n corals.

Re mixed same pail salt n stir stir stir n pump big big circulation haha. KS (Kia su) abit . Water is ok , with a slight green tint. Hope to take pic when I get home .

Have used some of the clear water to top-up. Fish n coral still smiling ;)