SPS and temperature

• SRC Member

Zooxantellae is algae that performs photosyntesis. In photosynthesis, the algae produce energy by using CO2 as one of the component and the end product is energy + oxygen. Therefore, probably Oxygen is likely increased (not decreased). Browing of corals means density of the zooxantellae increased to compensate the lack of energy produced due to the lack of light. More specifically lack of Photosynthetic useable radiation (PUR). I read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coral_bleaching'>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coral_bleaching Therefore, temperature should be more related to coral ability to supply zooxantellae the materials for photosyntesis than for concentration of zooxantellae that affects the coloration/pigmentation. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• SRC Member
Hi Bro, I keep mine at 27-29 :) During the day time, the ambient temperature ( which i set at 25 air con for the room ) is able to chill the water down to 27. The aircon is off at 1am till morning 7am, and the temperature would have risen to around 29 in the morning ( probably cause by the heat dissipated from all the wavemaker and return pumps ).
I'm keeping my temp at 27.2 to 28.2. I guess its not a 'must have' temp of below 27'c for sps. Thanks for the insightful info...

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

• SRC Member

Zooxantellae is algae that performs photosyntesis.

In photosynthesis, the algae produce energy by using CO2 as one of the component and the end product is energy + oxygen.

Therefore, probably Oxygen is likely increased (not decreased).

Browing of corals means density of the zooxantellae increased to compensate the lack of energy produced due to the lack of light. More specifically lack of Photosynthetic useable radiation (PUR).

I read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coral_bleaching

Therefore, temperature should be more related to coral ability to supply zooxantellae the materials for photosyntesis than for concentration of zooxantellae that affects the coloration/pigmentation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Agreed on oxygen as byproducts of photosynthesis. But what happen to the dissolve o2 when there is no light and water temperature stays high? Just pondering, how many hours do one keep their lights ON in a day (24hrs)?

Cheers,

James

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Crystal glass 53" x 22" x 17" rimless (inclusive of 12"x22"x17" IOS)

Life Reef HVS3-24 with mazzei venturi

ATI Sunpower 8 x 39w T5 (4 x Blue plus, 2 x Aqua blue special, Coral plus)

ZET Light 3 x 3w LEDs moonlight

Arctica 1/3 Hp + 1/4 Hp back up

Vortech mp40w x 3 + Jebao wp25

Eheim 1264 x 3 + water blaster 5000

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

Kamoer 3 channel + CaCl2 + NaHCo3

150L Refugium with DSB, miracle mud, cheato

2ft T5 x 2 light tubes for refugium

Gentlemen, it's great to start seeing quality discussion going on now... there's absolutely no need to feel apologetic for your contribution / view point, in fact that's the only way to learn when one start participating, questioning, start thinking, instead of just being spoon-feed.

That's the way to go for a quality discussion and makes reefing more interesting in a different dimension :thumbsup:

Treat others the way you wanna be treated...

I'm keeping my temp at 27.2 to 28.2. I guess its not a 'must have' temp of below 27'c for sps. Thanks for the insightful info...

You are most welcome bro. We are almost at the same water temp range, and so far I see that's fine for my side :)

• SRC Member

A friend showed me this awhile ago.

http://www.reefecosystems.com/reef-facts/water-chemistry-and-parameters/temperature/

" Moved On Join Date: May 2003Location: Parma, OHPosts: 262 New research is showing that consistently keeping temps 78 degrees or below helps to prevent RTN and STN situations. The research shows that above 78 degrees there is an exponential growth of vibrio bacteria levels the higher the temps get."

" A lower temperature will also lower the metabolic rate of coral and in turn they will use less oxygen. The down side of a lower metabolic rate is less growth. But then again in a mature tank less growth is an advantage. Another side effect of lower temp is a theory of better color in SPS with lower temps. "

"A rapid rise in temperature will cause the metabolic rate the symbiotic algae in the coral to increase. The symbiotic algae will then produce greater amounts of oxygen. Too much oxygen in the tissue is toxic to the coral and the coral reacts by expelling the symbiotic algae into the water."

^ thats why iodine Dose can help acclimate lighting which bond with oxygen to prevent too much oxygen which prevent bleaching lol.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

| Display : 48x30x22 Skimmer : SK-201 skimz

| Sump : 30x24x18 Wavemaker : 2x RW-15 , 1x RW-8

| Cooling : 1HP titanium drop in coil ATO : JBJ

| Lighting : ATI Sunpower 8x54w + 48x cree xte royal blue Return : Jebao dc-6000

| Dosing : Jebao dosing pump [ CaCl2 + NaHCO3 ] Pump :

| Reactor : FSZ Z160 zeolite reactor & phosban 150

| System : ZEOVIT

decomm-ed :

Ydkm SPS reef

:wub: >><< :wub:

• SRC Member

"The colder the water the more oxygen it can hold. Water a 0˚C can hold twice the amount of dissolved oxygen than water at 30˚C."

• Like 1

| Display : 48x30x22 Skimmer : SK-201 skimz

| Sump : 30x24x18 Wavemaker : 2x RW-15 , 1x RW-8

| Cooling : 1HP titanium drop in coil ATO : JBJ

| Lighting : ATI Sunpower 8x54w + 48x cree xte royal blue Return : Jebao dc-6000

| Dosing : Jebao dosing pump [ CaCl2 + NaHCO3 ] Pump :

| Reactor : FSZ Z160 zeolite reactor & phosban 150

| System : ZEOVIT

decomm-ed :

Ydkm SPS reef

:wub: >><< :wub:

• SRC Member

Agreed on oxygen as byproducts of photosynthesis. But what happen to the dissolve o2 when there is no light and water temperature stays high? Just pondering, how many hours do one keep their lights ON in a day (24hrs)?

Cheers,

James

Ya bro,

Another interesting observation from the trip there in May, the intense light seems to start around 9-10am to around 4pm only after which it gets dimmer and dimmer. By around 5.30pm local time, underwater is starting difficult to see clearly from a distance. By around 6pm it is almost sunset.

Seems that in nature ocean, the shallow water inhabitants get around 6-8 hours of good bright light. The deep water one should get lesser period.

• SRC Member

"The colder the water the more oxygen it can hold. Water a 0˚C can hold twice the amount of dissolved oxygen than water at 30˚C."

Yes bro, this makes sense as in cold temperature the molecule movement is slow and in warm and hot water they move faster and hence dissipate to the atmosphere faster.

A friend showed me this awhile ago.

http://www.reefecosystems.com/reef-facts/water-chemistry-and-parameters/temperature/

" Moved On Join Date: May 2003Location: Parma, OHPosts: 262 New research is showing that consistently keeping temps 78 degrees or below helps to prevent RTN and STN situations. The research shows that above 78 degrees there is an exponential growth of vibrio bacteria levels the higher the temps get."

" A lower temperature will also lower the metabolic rate of coral and in turn they will use less oxygen. The down side of a lower metabolic rate is less growth. But then again in a mature tank less growth is an advantage. Another side effect of lower temp is a theory of better color in SPS with lower temps. "

"A rapid rise in temperature will cause the metabolic rate the symbiotic algae in the coral to increase. The symbiotic algae will then produce greater amounts of oxygen. Too much oxygen in the tissue is toxic to the coral and the coral reacts by expelling the symbiotic algae into the water."

^ thats why iodine Dose can help acclimate lighting which bond with oxygen to prevent too much oxygen which prevent bleaching lol.

This is an excellent piece of research info for this discussion topic, that's quality stuff. Well done for the effort :big_boss:

In case for those who are not sure, 25.56 Celsius (°C) = 78 Fahrenheit (°F)

• SRC Member

I kept my tank nearer to the higher temperature between 80.2f - 81.3f. Speed of growth faster when temperature kept higher. How much is the limit I do not know. However I do notice sps colours tends to show better with the new grown tips as compare to other parts of the body. So maybe we should encourage growth and the colours will come naturally.

Cheers,

James

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Crystal glass 53" x 22" x 17" rimless (inclusive of 12"x22"x17" IOS)

Life Reef HVS3-24 with mazzei venturi

ATI Sunpower 8 x 39w T5 (4 x Blue plus, 2 x Aqua blue special, Coral plus)

ZET Light 3 x 3w LEDs moonlight

Arctica 1/3 Hp + 1/4 Hp back up

Vortech mp40w x 3 + Jebao wp25

Eheim 1264 x 3 + water blaster 5000

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

Kamoer 3 channel + CaCl2 + NaHCo3

150L Refugium with DSB, miracle mud, cheato

2ft T5 x 2 light tubes for refugium

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

I had the same observations when I was in Maldives two weeks ago. But in wild, temperature fluctuates throughout the day, and according to tidal flow. Fish and corals can adapt because other conditions are optimum. But in tank, which is just a tiny representation of nature, the smallest amount of stress and be detrimental.

I had the same observations when I was in Maldives two weeks ago. But in wild, temperature fluctuates throughout the day, and according to tidal flow. Fish and corals can adapt because other conditions are optimum. But in tank, which is just a tiny representation of nature, the smallest amount of stress can be detrimental.

• SRC Member

Brings up reports of coral bleaching brought about by global warming. Guess it has to do with temporary stress or permanent stress. Global warming us the latter. Also other parameters may be influenced by rising temperature, like planting concentration, dissolved oxygen level, etc.