illumnae's 422 adventure

illumnae

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Sigh... my tank kena white spot outbreak. Lost my 6 large sunburst anthias, kole tang, 3 yellow fin flasher wrasse (one jumped) and the dwarf fuzzy lionfish :( very huge and heartbreaking loss. I've removed all corals and snails and am doing a 1 month hyposalinity treatment to get rid of the ich. No more laziness with qt for me. I'm also seriously considering just going with a fowlr after the hypo treatment and add more predators and maybe butterfly fish.

Sori to hear about your lose

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• SRC Member

Thanks for the condolences! Will be finishing the hyposalinity level lowering this evening, then start the 1 month hypo treatment to eradicate ich. Hopefully will be able to build up my livestock supply again soon. Reason that I'm thinking of doing without corals is that to remove the risk of corals introducing the ich protozoa to my tank, I will need to fallow it fishless in qt for 2 months. I currently don't have the type of QT tank to be able to do so, especially when qting new fish. the lights in my QT are very basic, and no chiller too. That's why I'm thinking of converting to FOWLR. I love corals, but I hate ich!

Bro, not if you keen to try this method... it worked for my tank filled with corals... i fed them dr g anti parasitic caviar... it is based on proven drug test of chloroquine against ich... just have to feed religiously 3 times a day for 2 weeks... and extend 2 times a day for another 2 weeks to be sure

Some background... my clown pair was heavily infected by ich and 1 yellow tang died from it... i did freshwater dip by does not work for me... only one month into onset, i fed with dr g caviar... after 1 week spots was not visible... but i continued further to be sure... worth a try and best of all does not kill the corals (mine are basic birdnest sps,zoas and mushroom)

Tank setup

4ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft (3 way viewing)

ATI Sunpower 6 x 39w

Arctica 1/5Hp

Skimz SM161 skimmer

Smart ATO system

Jebao DC 12k

Jebao dosing pump (Fauna Marine Lite balling - Thinking)

Jebao RW 15 wavemaker

Upgrading in Process.....

More infomation coming soon!

Yup that will be tough if they do not eat it. As this is mixed in the caviar and requires ingestion to be effective. Lol get some feeder and pump them with caviar then feed them to your lionfish. Haha

Tank setup

4ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft (3 way viewing)

ATI Sunpower 6 x 39w

Arctica 1/5Hp

Skimz SM161 skimmer

Smart ATO system

Jebao DC 12k

Jebao dosing pump (Fauna Marine Lite balling - Thinking)

Jebao RW 15 wavemaker

Upgrading in Process.....

More infomation coming soon!

• 5 months later...
  • SRC Member

So it's been awhile, and I've given up on lionfish. I can't seem to keep them alive long term despite extensive quarantine processes and even after getting them to feed on frozen food. They would be active and feeding one day, and just pass on the next day. It's either suspect collection practices or my own personal ineptness, but after half a year of trying and failing, I'm really tired of seeing my cute and apparently healthy lions just keep on passing away over and over. Really saps the joy from the hobby.

I've now gone the other direction and decided to go with a well stocked reef. Stocklist so far includes: Queen Angel, Scribbled Angel, Goldflake Angel, Regal Angel, Achilles Tang, Kole Tang, Australian Harlequin Tuskfish, Marine Betta, Adorned Wrasse, Foxface and a few Dispar Anthias. Given the angelfish population, I will be keeping SPS and Euphyllia LPS only. I have bought some affordable SPS colonies to try out and so far, they are surviving - it has been over a month since their introduction. Currently topping up calcium/kH/magnesium via water changes and weekly powder dosing. Will need to set up my Jebao dosing pump soon - it has been sitting in store untouched for months (I left it unused due to the plan to keep a FOWLR lion tank, but with the change of direction, I need to get it installed asap).

It will be challenging to keep the water parameters good enough for the corals given my stocking, but I've never been a fan of low-stocked tanks. To me, a tank must be filled with active fish - as much as can be fit inside! So far, nitrates are 1 and phosphates undetectable despite the heavy bioload using a refugium, biopellet reactor, prodibio dosing and weekly 10% water changes so I guess it's possible if I keep up with the maintenance.

Here's a lousy video I took last night with my handphone: