1 or 2 Skimmers

magical26

1 or 2 Skimmers  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather run 2 skimmers (each pump 20watts, 1000L, total = 40 watts, 2000L) or run only 1 skimmer (with 1 pump, 40 watts, 2000L)? Dunno if i should upgrade to 1 big skimmer or 2 average size skimmer. Assuming that power sockets are not an issue.

• 1 Large Skimmer
    • 2 Average Size Skimmer

Hi all reefers, would you rather run 2 skimmers (each pump 20watts, 1000L, total = 40 watts, 2000L) or run only 1 skimmer (with 1 pump, 40 watts, 2000L)? Dunno if i should upgrade to 1 big skimmer or 2 average size skimmer... This is with the assumption that power sockets are available and not an issue.

Any pros and cons for each preference?

Thanks for the inputs... Some people tell me 2 better cos if 1 down, still got another to tahan awhile... headache... Haha. No right or wrong i guess... Really down to preference. Or is there something else in terms of pros & cons that i overlooked?

Bigger skimmer better rather than 2 skimmers both of same output... reason being bigger means more surface area and bubble to air surface contact time equals to more effective skimming....agree wif andtsg, with only one skimmer less maintenance time means more attention to detail in terms of cleaning equals to skimmer lasts longer rather than 2 skimmer.....hope this helps

No choice must make bottled popsicles

Even with chiller, I consistently have some frozen 1.5L Bottles frozen. Once in a while just throw inside sump, chiller wont kick in as often. A little bit here and there can help save electricity cost... just my thoughts.

Bigger skimmer better rather than 2 skimmers both of same output... reason being bigger means more surface area and bubble to air surface contact time equals to more effective skimming....agree wif andtsg, with only one skimmer less maintenance time means more attention to detail in terms of cleaning equals to skimmer lasts longer rather than 2 skimmer.....hope this helps

Thanks bro... will take note of that.

Hmmm ... I don't see any difference in using 2 skimmer or 1 bigger size one .. Coz both will process 2k L/h of water and both use the same amount of electricity . Except that when using 2 skimmer they will take up more space .

Stairway to Heaven

• SRC Member

I am running 2 skimmers. It's for redundancy reasons. At times when your skimmer pump fail on you , it might take time to find the spare available. This could take days or up to weeks especially if you skimmer is no longer selling off the shelf.

Obviously the cons are :

More maintenance require

Take up more space

Just my 2 cents.

It's fine to run just a single skimmer. Cos even if that fails, nothing major will happen. But always good to have secondary return pump n chiller! I run 2 returns and 2 chillers. Secondary chiller is only on when I know I won't be home for the whole day. If budget is a concern n u were to invest in a duplicate item. Return n chiller would be my first choice. Else, a single oversized skimmer works more efficiently than 10 smaller ones.

I Love Stagsss

• 3 weeks later...