34litres Nano Reef Wonder

lurenake

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

So I dropped by aquamarin just now after work and picked up the following test kits.

b2c8865435ba7d8539db439cdee20e99.jpg

Here's the new parameters for the new salifert test kits.

PH : in between 8.0 and 8.3

Ammonia : 0ppm

Nitrate : 0ppm - 0.2ppm (negligible)

Phosphates : 0.15ppm (did the double dosage regim for extra sensitivity)

Here's the question, I'm running rowaphos (5 scoops using your typical economic rice plastic spoon) and skimmer in my tank.

Any idea how to drop the phosphates further other then weekly water changes.

There's no livestock in the tank yet.

Water top off is from distilled water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lurenake 34litres Nano Reef Wonder

• SRC Member

Doubt there is a faster way of phosphate removal other than running large amounts of rowaphos. Most effective.

Thanks for the advise bro. Will increase the amount of my rowaphos during the next water change and see how it goes.

Looking good bro :)

Hmm .. I would suggest u to get a mini chiller to replace that fan blowing from the top. As yours is a small tank, the fan will cause water to evaporate at a really fast speed, worse when you do not have an ATO to top off water the moment it evaporates.

• SRC Member

For emptying of skimmate from your skimmer, you can use an air tube to siphon out instead of turning off the skimmer and removing to empty.

That is actually a very good idea! Hahaha! Thank you so much for that advise

• SRC Member

Looking good bro :)

Hmm .. I would suggest u to get a mini chiller to replace that fan blowing from the top. As yours is a small tank, the fan will cause water to evaporate at a really fast speed, worse when you do not have an ATO to top off water the moment it evaporates.

I concur with your thoughts. But I'm quite doubtful of the new mini chillers that are out in the market currently. My boss is using one for his shrimp tank in the office, but since the office has ac running, can't really judge the performance. So I'm going to get my hands on a hailea 28a in February after Chinese New Year. Hehehehehe, until then I'll just have to top up twice a day with my distilled water.

Wah .. Twice a day is quite freaky. >.<

Yups :) The Hailea is not too bad. If a JBJ Arctica goes on sale at pasar malam. It is also a good grab even if it's secondhand.

There's never a chiller too big for the job. The bigger the better :) my 1/10 is powering my 50L and takes 5mins to bring down 1 degree. I think for Ur tank size 2-3mins enough Liao. Which is good cos that means Ur chiller don't need to be on as often.

• SRC Member

Wah .. Twice a day is quite freaky. >.<

Yups :) The Hailea is not too bad. If a JBJ Arctica goes on sale at pasar malam. It is also a good grab even if it's secondhand.

There's never a chiller too big for the job. The bigger the better :) my 1/10 is powering my 50L and takes 5mins to bring down 1 degree. I think for Ur tank size 2-3mins enough Liao. Which is good cos that means Ur chiller don't need to be on as often.

JBJ Artica chiller, even if it's 2nd hand is still quite out of my budget. :cry2:

• SRC Member

With that amount of passion and upgraded equipment that you are using, why not upgrade to a bigger tank and start from there instead?

Sooner or later you will eventually find the tank too small. Might as well save the hassle now since you have not started adding any LS inside yet.

BTW, if you really want to stick with the 34L, a thermoelectric chiller will do nicely for that size of tank - cheap and good. You can easily get it brand new (60L model) from www.taobao.com for about $100++ inclusive of shipping. :thumbsup:

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

• SRC Member

Wow great tank bro

300Gallons of Pure Goodness! >Dimensions 6x2x2 (Foot)

1: Maxspect 160 Watt qty-2

2: Vortech MP 40 Wes

3:Jaebao WP40 qty-2

3: Skimz Becket Skimmer/ Ehiem 1260

4: Dymax XC 900 Calcium Reactor

5: American Pinpoint PH Controller

6: Iwaki MD 55 And MD 70 (Return)

7: Hydra Aquatics FR45 Reactor

8:Hailea 10HP Chiller

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html

• SRC Member

Just finished reading your whole thread!! A very good read while on the toilet haha

reefing from pasir ris

Lolololol. Did it help make your business making experience more soothing? Hahaha :eyebrow: By the way, thanks for your chiller bro. Running good so far. :goodjob:

With that amount of passion and upgraded equipment that you are using, why not upgrade to a bigger tank and start from there instead?

Sooner or later you will eventually find the tank too small. Might as well save the hassle now since you have not started adding any LS inside yet.

BTW, if you really want to stick with the 34L, a thermoelectric chiller will do nicely for that size of tank - cheap and good. You can easily get it brand new (60L model) from www.taobao.com for about $100++ inclusive of shipping. :thumbsup:

I'll be doing a bigger cube tank once I shift into my new BTO house in 2017/2018 bro. So for now, due to space issues i'll just be having this tank for the next 2 years or so. Heh heh heh

Wow great tank bro

Thanks bro. Heh heh heh

• 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

It's been a long while since I've updated my nano reef journal. Before I go on with the pictures galore, here's a quick recap of what was going on with the tank during my absence.

1) I've just finished treated the tank for clown fish disease aka Brooklynella. The parasite was introduced when I got my hands on a wild common percula, alas the medication didn't come in time and the clown passed on.

The tank underwent a 1 month fallow period and all is fine now.

2) I am running a 2nd hand Hailea 150a chiller outfitted with an external thermostat by courtesy of bro Arronpsw. It has been running good for a few months now.

3) I've finally gotten my hands on the full range of Salifert testing kits, well most of it anyways. Here's the tank parameters as of 3rd February 2015.

SG : 1.025
Temp : 25 - 26C
Ammonia : 0
Nitrite : 0
Nitrate : 0ppm
Phosphate : 0.03 < ppm
PH : 8.2
Calcium: 500ppm
DKH: 8
Magnesium: 1350ppm

• SRC Member

Enough of numbers and figures. Oh just realized I keyed in the wrong number for my calcium, it should be 420ppm.

Anyways, Here's the tank in it's recent glory.

P1014515.jpg

Now introducing my tank's very first inhabitant, a Grade A True Black Onyx Clownfish from Coral Farm.

He also survived a month in the quarantine tank with two weeks under interpet No. 7 Anti Slime and Velvet medication.

He was added into the tank during the month of January, a few weeks after the cycle has finished.

P1014512.jpg

Another pioneering generation of the tank. Added into the tank on the same day as the Black Onyx. Got him from Coral Farm.

P1014524.jpg
Added this beautiful patch of Luminous Green Star Polyps a few days after the Black Onyx and Skunk cleaner went in. Got it from Henry @ MarineLife.
P1014506.jpg
Got this frag of beautiful Metallic Green Hammerhead from bro andtsg at pasar malam a few days after I added the luminous GSP.
P1014500.jpg
Now for the beautiful additions from last sunday. Added this 2" Crocea clam from Iwarna.
P1014504.jpg
Beautiful deep red and turquoise open brain coral from Pinnacle.
P1014510.jpg
Bushy purple tip frogspawn from Pinnacle as well. No stinging from either LPS. Good PE and awesome colours.
P1014535.jpg
Another view of the sandbed with my clam, GSP and open brain at the back.
P1014523.jpg
Now to introduce the hubby of my Black Onyx, a local True Percula Clownfish from Pinnacle as well.
Both seems to have formed a pair and no violent bickering observed.
P1014517.jpg
Another picture of the newly weds. Hahaha. :friends:
P1014533.jpg
The customary FTS.

• SRC Member

Made some changes to the equipments as some have died and others are pure improvements.

Updated Tank Specifications

Tank size: Oceanfree Nano Marine 3, 31x31x36cm (34L)

Filtration: 4.5kg worth of live rock (from Pinnacle) + around 2kg worth of arga-alive! live sand

Skimmer : Bubble Magus Q3

Wavemaker: Tunze Turbelle Nanostream 6020

Filtration media : Chemipure Elite and RowaPhos

Lighting: Customized Epistar 18 x 3watt PAR38 Full Spectrum LED from Kontak China

- 54watts

- 90 degrees optic

LED spectrum:

- 3 x Neutral White: 6500K

- 2 x Cool White: 12000K
- 2 x True Violet: 425NM
- 1 x Red: 660NM
- 1 x Orange: 625NM
- 2 x Cool Blue: 475nm
- 5 x Royal Blue: 455nm
- 2 x UV: 440nm

Substrate: Arga-Alive! Live sand

Water: H2Ocean Natural Reef Salt + DI water

Cooling : Hailea HC150a + External Thermostat

Additives: Brightwell Aquatics Microbacter 7 (16 drops weekly)

Brightwell Aquatics Reef BioFuel (16 drops daily)

Corals:

Soft Coral

- 1 x Luminous Green Star Polyps

LPS

- 1 x Metallic Green Hammer Coral

- 1 x Purple Tip Frogspawn Coral

- 1 x Red and Turquoise Open Brain Coral

Fishes:

- 1 x Grade A True Black Onyx Clownfish

- 1 x wild local True Percula Clownfish

Invertebrates:

Cleanup Crew

- 2 x Skunk Cleaner Shrimps

- 1 x Astraea Turbo Snail

- 3 x Spiny Star Astraea

Clam

- 1 x Crocea Clam

• SRC Member

Nice setup. Still got rooms for more corals.

Tank Theme: Mixed Reef with clams

3 feet tank with IOS

Eheim 1262

K3 wavemaker x1

Lightings: T5 actinic blue x4 , T5 white x4

Skimmer: BMQQ

Artica 1/5

Dosing: NA

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reefing is sharing. People with rotten mouth is sure a loser for life as expected. When a tomato gets rotten, you can nvr save it.. Throw it away before it infect the good ones.

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

• SRC Member

Bo update? Looking good

300Gallons of Pure Goodness! >Dimensions 6x2x2 (Foot)

1: Maxspect 160 Watt qty-2

2: Vortech MP 40 Wes

3:Jaebao WP40 qty-2

3: Skimz Becket Skimmer/ Ehiem 1260

4: Dymax XC 900 Calcium Reactor

5: American Pinpoint PH Controller

6: Iwaki MD 55 And MD 70 (Return)

7: Hydra Aquatics FR45 Reactor

8:Hailea 10HP Chiller

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

It's been a long while since I've updated my nano reef journal. Before I go on with the pictures galore, here's a quick recap of what was going on with the tank during my absence.

1) I've just finished treated the tank for clown fish disease aka Brooklynella. The parasite was introduced when I got my hands on a wild common percula, alas the medication didn't come in time and the clown passed on.

The tank underwent a 1 month fallow period and all is fine now.

2) I am running a 2nd hand Hailea 150a chiller outfitted with an external thermostat by courtesy of bro Arronpsw. It has been running good for a few months now.

3) I've finally gotten my hands on the full range of Salifert testing kits, well most of it anyways. Here's the tank parameters as of 3rd February 2015.

SG : 1.025
Temp : 25 - 26C
Ammonia : 0
Nitrite : 0
Nitrate : 0ppm
Phosphate : 0.03 < ppm
PH : 8.2
Calcium: 500ppm
DKH: 8
Magnesium: 1350ppm

Hi can i know what did you use to treat the tank for clown fish disease aka Brooklynella ??? kindly advise as i want to do that for my new tank too thanks

Untitled.thumb.jpg.7714ce1b06996ffb51c72

• SRC Member

Hi can i know what did you use to treat the tank for clown fish disease aka Brooklynella ??? kindly advise as i want to do that for my new tank too thanks

I used interpet no. 7. You can get it from Polyart at Clementi. Dose only in quarantine tank as it'll affect your corals and what not. But be fast in your action as Brooklynella will kill very fast.

$_35.JPG

• SRC Member

I used interpet no. 7. You can get it from Polyart at Clementi. Dose only in quarantine tank as it'll affect your corals and what not. But be fast in your action as Brooklynella will kill very fast.

$_35.JPG

Ok noted. Means that I just put my newly brought clownfish into the QT after I dose interpet no. 7 in it then catch out to put in the DT ?? kindly advise hahahaha thanks lots

Untitled.thumb.jpg.7714ce1b06996ffb51c72

• SRC Supporter

After the period of successful treatment (with medication), do a water change & run carbon to deactivate the medication for a few days before putting the fish back in the display tank. This is to prevent any remaining copper or other chemical be introduced to DT

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/