Where to get cheaper chiller?

• SRC Member

Can check with MArinelife (Hong Leong). I bought a Teco from previous owner (Patrick) for less than $1500 (RA640) for my 4 ft. I remember he mentioned the small one is about $800. Not sure if the price now still same with new owner (Henry).

I think (marine) therefore I am

Can check with MArinelife (Hong Leong). I bought a Teco from previous owner (Patrick) for less than $1500 (RA640) for my 4 ft. I remember he mentioned the small one is about $800. Not sure if the price now still same with new owner (Henry).

ok thanks :)

I go to Marine life quite often actually. Got 1 X Flame Angel, 1 X Yellow Tang and 1 X juvenile Emperor with him now. He has got some King and Queen Angelfish recently, very expensive !!

Waiting of my water to become better before bring them back home :)

• SRC Member

If you are keeping corals, don't buy anymore angels! They will "makan" all your polyps, buttons.... Only Flame can keep with corals (not 100%). Other angels will someday start biting on your corals. Stay away from angels, butterfly and other non-reefsafe fish. Ask Henry before buying...he's quite helpful.

I think (marine) therefore I am

If you are keeping corals, don't buy anymore angels! They will "makan" all your polyps, buttons.... Only Flame can keep with corals (not 100%). Other angels will someday start biting on your corals. Stay away from angels, butterfly and other non-reefsafe fish. Ask Henry before buying...he's quite helpful.

oic. Notice my Koran Angel also bit at the small purple coral i have. Will bear your advice in mind.

hmmm.... maybe you guys are new here but I have the lobang for good prices on Teco chillers. Special pricing for Singapore Reef Club only!

Interested pls PM me.

I am a Teco chiller user myself, too bad when I started a few years ago... this lobang was not open to me! :P

Anyway, yes, Teco is the most ex in the market but it's also the most reliable. I always say that important stuff like chillers... dun pray pray ah! Have you seen corals bleach overnight when the temp shoots up coz the chiller died? I have! :pinch:

• SRC Member

My cousin has a DIY chiller. He brought the compressor (those black color cylinder use in refrigerator) and get help from those industry park staff to assemble into a chiller. If I remember correctly, he paid around $400 for the entire system. He has been using it for coming 5 yrs and still going strong.

Anyone interested to know more, I’ll check with him for the contact.

:D

dino07.gif

• SRC Member
Hey Dino,

What's the HP and max cooling capacity for such DIY???

And are they noisy?...

Cos I would need a large one for my reef if I ever DIY...

My current Teco cannot make it lah..... :sick:

Phang you selling yours soon??

Hehehe :yeah:

My cousin has a DIY chiller. He brought the compressor (those black color cylinder use in refrigerator) and get help from those industry park staff to assemble into a chiller. If I remember correctly, he paid around $400 for the entire system. He has been using it for coming 5 yrs and still going strong.

Anyone interested to know more, I’ll check with him for the contact.

:D

Really? With titanium coils or at least epoxy coated copper pipes?

If the pipes are unprotected.... he will kill his livestock coz copper is toxic.

• SRC Member
Hey Dino,

What's the HP and max cooling capacity for such DIY???

And are they noisy?...

Cos I would need a large one for my reef if I ever DIY...

My current Teco cannot make it lah..... :sick:

I have no idea of the HP & cooling capacity. Have to check it out. But........ as it is a DIY thingy, I suspect it will not be stated. Anyway to check?

Nope. It is not noisy and very presentable summore ... :D

dino07.gif

• SRC Member

If the pipes are unprotected.... he will kill his livestock coz copper is toxic.

I have no idea wif what either. Got to check. Will be going to house on the second day of new year. Will get back by then.....

But one thing for sure, his fishes and corals looks happy in there for the past 4 -5 yrs.

I also remember him telling me that the way a chiller works is exactly the same as how a refrigetrator works. So as long as you can get hold of those compressor and look for somedoby who can modified the thing to your requirement. You're done! :P

dino07.gif

• SRC Member
Dino, $400 for a complete set is very cheap..... cos understand that titanium cooling coils are already costing that much....

So can you help confirm that those coils are not copper made...??

No reason to believe that it is copper made, else all the coral would have died long ago. However, I'll check and get back to you. :P

Happy New Year .... .. :lol:

dino07.gif

• SRC Member

Is that a drop in chiller. My brother in law also make one for the seafood restaurant at the country club.

He said the compressor minimum size is 1HP and is damn big. The last time I saw it it look really big and awful. I turn down his offer to DIY me one as I have to put the compressor outside the house

and the the drop in coil is made of copper that's why he can make it cheap.

Anyway Dino get the specs. It is worth it if the DIY chiller is cheap enough to make this hobby affordable.

• SRC Member

I belive if he has been using the DIY Chiller for 5 years and things a fine it shoud be alright don't you think? ;)

Acrylic Aquarium Filtering Systems

Acrylic tanks, sumps, protein skimmers, overflow box, refugium, calcium reactors, zeovit reactors and many more...

Our New Address:

Blk 9003, Tampines St. 93,

Tampines Industrial Park A,

#03-134, Singapore 528837

(Located behind Tampines SAFRA)

Contact Nos.

(Tel) +65 9298 9489

(Fax) +65 6588 4711

Please direct your...

Email me : info@iaquatic.com

*Please do not send PM's to us. Thank you