Coral chips in sump or not?

RAV-65

Coral Chips to be used in Sump tank?  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Coral Chips to be used in Sump tank?

• Yes
    • No

Hi all,

I'm setting up a new tank with a 3 feet sump below... Intending to deploy a DSB in the main tank. Question is: Would it be advised to use coral chips in the sump? I seem to get concflicting opinions, so would like to see the response in this poll.

Anyone with opinions are welcomed to post in this thread.

Thanxs!

Vincent Ho :thanks:

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

So long as the mechanical filter (wool, etc) works and no debris drop to the section containing the coral chips, there shouldn't be any problems with NO2 or NO3 build-up.

Me experimenting with my crazy idea of pseudo-plenum where I am layering live sand on top of my coral chips and covering the whole thing to prevent light from getting in. Plus the fact that te water flows almost off the top of this layer of sand and the theories of a planum fits perfectly.

So far so good. More than 2 weeks already. None of my LS seems to be affected. Also stopped dosing AZ-NO3 recently and NO3 reading taken on Monday shows 0. I will continue my pattern of feeding and stop dosing AZ-NO3 let you know if it works.

When things really confirm stablise after two months and no changes, I will update and post pic of my setup and tank for reference and exchange of opinions.

P/S: Your Potter's Angel is doing very well. Come see for yourself! Lucky never bully my Flame or I'd send it to prison in the sump! Hah hah hah!

• SRC Member

DSB in the sump is a messy idea and takes up loads of space that is valuable for other stuff which you may want to add.

Reason I have the setup I mentioned is by fluke and a whole dang load of reason I'm sure I mentioned to you before.

I think there's no sure-fire method. You can spend a fortune and buy all the most expensive equipment and it still may not work for you.

A bit of trial and error based on the LS you keep, your preferences, your tank maintenance patterns/habits, the surroundings and etc.

Honestly, I thought at first that I am screwed (pardon the language) with the faulty designs and setup and just about everything else. Almost gave up the hobby too, even before I had a stocked tank.

What to do, learn along the way loh. I can't say for sure that I have succeeded coz still afraid it's not stable and I'm too inexperienced. You seen my tank, what do you think?

Bro,

like i told you, differents styles may still work in the end, as long as you dun overstock.... the problem being you wanted too much to be PERFECT... dat gave you a hard time!

I guess... if you clean the tank more... I think it looks pretty good... but sometimes i find your water not really 100% clear.... maybe the glass dirty, but if take a look at my tank, the water is very very clear... :)

Maybe once you've changed the return pump, it would be better! :)

Vincent Ho

People do not plan to fail; Often they just fail to plan...

Wat I do to prevent myself from tearing my hair out... My stress remedy...

post-34-1105890976.jpg

• SRC Member

As mentioned, not confirm if successful yet. So far so good and keeping my fingers crossed.

What other readings you talking about?

NH3 and NO2 last taken about 2 weeks ago both at 0. These days don't take those readings as often anymore. If NH3 or NO2 alot, don't need to take reading and the dead fishes will tell me already.

At first tell you don't believe but I really got more and more baby snails. They sure know how to propagate! LOL

• 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...
Holy thread revival, batman!!!!

This is a 4-year old thread! :D Happy to see people read back old threads here in SRC and continue on.... hahaha!

I salute to those who bothers to make a search and find out rather than asking people again & again..

Member of :
post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F

MASS in Facebook

Reefing in LED

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Seems like lots of old threads getting revived...good sign huh? :D

Used coral chips in the sump of my fist tank (3ft reef), but never again - too much detritus build up and, therefore, risk of high nitrates. The sump on my 5 foot reef tank is bare of any sand or coral chips, bio balls, etc. I prefer to use the space in the sump for equipment, water, and use other means for ensuring calcium and nutrient levels are all okie dokie.

Real reefs don't have glass bottoms....(...think about it)

• 1 year later...