Green Hair Algae Help!

• SRC Member

Hi all,

My tank is currently full of green hair algae... previously was diatoms which my bicolor Blenny has cleared out... (sadly the Blenny died for unknown reasons)

Po4 was high but I have put in rowaphos and the Po4 dropped to almost 0

No3 was high too but I am currently starting to run biopellets to help remove the no3.. did a few water change previously too but No3 is still high abt 50ppm

Qn to ask, the green hair algae will disappear on its own if the No3 and Po4 is low? Or do we have to do something to assist in its disappearance like scrubbing etc...

Does Hermit Crab really help with hair algae?

Current livestock

1 x Common Clown

2 x Chromis

1 x Sleeper Goby

1 x Cleaner Shrimp

Regards

and Thanks in advance for your assistance..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get some more clean up crews like urchins, Astraea and turbo snails. They eat green hair algaes.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• SRC Supporter

I used to have some hair algae but went away with lower phosphate / nitrates / light (intensity/period).

What's your feeding regime like? Perhaps that could be cut down.

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• SRC Supporter

Feeding pellets will generate less nitrates than frozen food. Or feed less.

Agree with Admiraltian on getting more clean up crew. They do help. Hope you drip acclimatize them to improve survival rate.

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

Hi Bro, my display tank was full of hair algae some 3 weeks ago. On the rocks, and on the back panel glass of my display tank. And they are really hard to get rid especially those on the rocks. I have decided to give up then, since its really difficult to brush off even when I took out the rocks to rinsed and used toothbrush! But you know what? All the difference you need is to introduce a Yellow Tang. It will take care of all your hair algae, including those where you cannot clear with your toothbrush on your live rocks. In fact, I didn't wanted to clear my fully-covered-nicely green hair algae on the back panel glass of my display tank, as they simply looks nice and even. And I just don't believe that only 1 yellow tang could possibly eat so much hair algae. And I mean really a lot, coz its a 4 feet. It took it few days to finished those hair algae on the rocks at first. And gradually, bit by bit, I realized, my beautiful hair algae on the back panel... all gonez... :(

• SRC Member

only a yellow tang will help? what abt the blue tang.. bcos I am still fighting a ich outbreak too... some of my fishes (blue tang, coral beauty and royal gramma) died overnight for no good reason... so I am quite sian and afraid to add more fishes

Yes Bro, I only introduced 1 yellow tang, and didn't actually believed that it ate all my beautiful "forest" too! (Blue Tang = I'm clueless)
Wow! Seemed to me that your water has some parameter problems lurking. I'm not pro in this area, and only happened to by sheer luck know the best mechanical way to remove hair algae is a yellow tang, as it's impossible to scrub the green algae off those rocks.
For water parameters, perhaps must seek help from our professionals reefers here liao... By then, you can safely introduced a yellow tang by using Bro SubzeroLT mentioned: drip acclimatize to improve their survival rate.
All the best bro.

the tank has been running for 2 months

Bro... Your tank is fairly young so give it some time to stabilise. You should do more frequent water changes - maybe 30% every 3-4 days and turn on the lights less often to let the algae die off. I read that some reefers actually turn off the lights for a few days (4-5 days) consecutively to let diatoms and algae die off.

I have a FOWLR which is more than 2 years old and I use Biopellet XL to reduce nitrate and a algae scrubber but its still hovering around 50ppm and my LS is doing fine.

• SRC Member

If you do a peroxide dip, your skimmer will go crazy for a few days.

If you switch off lights for a few days, do a WC after algae dies off... Otherwise the cycle will start again due to your nitrate spike.

Angel Keeper

my tank is next to window... so abit hard to shade off...

You can use newspaper or trash bag to cover it for a few days. Alternatively you can use an algae scrubber to localise the algae growth away from your DT.

• 3 weeks later...

Bro Martian is right. Increase WC will definitely helps, but battling with algae issue need patient. Sea urchin are excellent help. Live rock are possible source of nutrient leak. How big is your tank anyway?

If you have ich issue, is good to stop adding fishes. Fish die, decay, nutrient spike, more algae. Run UV light if necessary, will kill ich.

As for your snail, did you acclimatize them properly?

• SRC Member

You can get a sea hare too, but wc will be the best way, you need to fight it out with them and be patient. Good luck!

Tank Size: 3.5 ft x 2 ft x 2 ft
Sump: 3ft x 1.5ft x 1.5ft”
Return Pump: Eheim 1264
Chiller Pump: H2Ocean Flow Pump 3000
Skimmer: Vertex Alpha 200
Wavemakers: 2 X Maxspect Gyre 130; 1 x Ecotech VorTech MP10WES, 1 x Ecotech VorTech MP40WES, 1x Jebao RW15
Filtration: Schuran Multifilter 100 (Rowa Phos), Two Little Fishies Phosban 150 Fluidised Reactor (Vertex Rox 0.8 Carbon), Enductor Fluidized Reactor- FR45 (NP Biopellets & All In One Biopellets) with Eden 140 Pump, Santa Monica Hogx1 Algae Turf Scrubber, Cheato
Calcium Reactor: Skimz CM152 with needle valve and Maxijet 600 feed Pump (CaribSea ARM Extra Coarse ,KZ Coral Gravel, Two Little Fishies Reborn, Grotech Magnesium Pro)
Dosing: Bubble Magnus Dosing Pump BM-T01 + 2 x 4 Head Expansion Accessory BM-T02
Bio Media: Marine Pure, Bacteria King, Eheim Substrat Pro, Eheim Substrat, Seachem DeNitrate, PowerHouse Hard, Polyplab Biosphere, Seachem Purigen

Chiller: JBJ Arctica Titanium Aquarium Chiller (1/3 Hp - DBE-150)
Lighting: ATI Powermodule 6 x 39 Watt T5. Solite 4 x 39 Watt T5 (Only 2 used) (Blue+ Blue+ Coral+ Purple+ Coral+ AB Special) (Blue+ Purple+)
Auto Top Up system: Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155 Auto Top Off
Monitoring: 2 x Milwaukee MC 122 PH Controller (Calcium Reactor & PH Monitoring)

Substrate: CaribSea Aragamax Select

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...