Marine Fish Books

terryansimon

looking around for a book which tells me what fish is it/what family it belongs to/what kind of environment it requires/whether it fights/etc.

I'm currently looking at only two books *because I am aware of only these two books*

one of them is Marine Fishes: 500+ Essential-To-Know Aquarium Species by Scott W Michael.

the other is Dr Burgess Atlas to Marine Fish.

are there any others?

preferably must have COLOURED photos of fishes and writeups on them including whatever that I just said above, and stuff like food requirements and all.

will be nice if the book is coupled with coral selection as well. or am I making too many demands. :P

must wait for the Kino 20% discount coupon in I-mag or eight Days...anyone know its out yet.....want t o buy some books (marine) :lol::lol::lol: (Normal price a bit too exp. for me)

I actually compared kino books prices to that of amazon. I think its about 20% cheaper to ship from amazon.com even after shipping cost is factored in : )

I read that the altas gives only scientific names of the fish. It might be difficult to use..

This are what I order..

1 "Algae: A Problem Solver Guide"

Julian Sprung;Paperback; $16.95

1 "Marine Fishes: 500+ Essential-To-Know Aquarium Species"

Scott W. Michael;Paperback; $20.97

1 "Aquarium Corals : Selection, Husbandry, and Natural History"

Eric H. Borneman;Hardcover; $38.47

1 "Marine Invertebrates: 500+ Essential-To-Know Aquarium Species"

Ronald Shimek;Paperback; $20.97

Is your price list in US$ or SGD?

regards-fooyl

Previous Tank 3 x 2.5 x 2 ft since year 2005. 23 Jan 2009 fully decom my 3ft. Now only left 24"x14"x16" and I am very happy cos can see all my fish in near range.. haha

• SRC Member

Juz to share, you can use Vpost USA shipping to reduce cost in frieght. Amazon will ship to a VPOST location free then VPOst will ship to you based on their charges (normally cheaper). Check out the details here, http://www.vpost.com.sg/

Juz to share my experience.

JC

• SRC Member

the " MARINE ATLAS" by DEBELIUS BAENSCH will be good.

theres's 3 volumes for the series. it describes marines fishes, invetebrates and plants in full colour. quite value for $.as each volume is about a 1000 pages, correct me if i'm wrong cos i only have the vol. 1 with me now.

it will list the family it belongs to, the genus, the scientific name, common name, habitat, ######, association(whether it lives singly or in groups), the light required , reproduction, foods, leght and so on.

got it from edmund last time, maybe u can enquire from him . may be the 10% discount applies too :rolleyes: think its more than 100 but maybe less than 200 , i forgot cos not me pay for it. can check with edmund ya :peace:

• SRC Member

Am reading the The Natural Marine Aquarium Series Volume 1 - Reef Invertebrates by Anthony Calfo & Robert Fenner.

Rather good...talks about the selection, care and compatibility of reef invertebrates with photographs. :yeah:

After reading...intend to get Volumes 2 & 3 which is on fish and Cnidarians respectively... :P

• 2 months later...
  • SRC Member

Got the book from Borders tonight.

the fuuny thing is when i was there check with the info counter staff to seach for the Marin fishes 500+ essential... book. her reply is no stock.

I ask her what else of marine book I can get now, she ask to to check out the shelf at the "Aqua life"

Guess what manage to found 2 of it in the last 2 shelf of it.

Price at $59.95 with GST inluded. So still got 1 last piece left after mine purchase.

Time at 9:20pm.

Other book I got is the Clownfishes and sea anemones fron Barron's publisher

Chao,

moxa