Darren's 322 Tank

Darren Sim

Hi guys, This wouldn't happen without the help of those bros in this forum especially Willy bro, Ali bro and others ! Big thanks to Leon bro ! I'm starting this thread is to update my process and also learn from all the bros here.

I had a 3x1.5x1.5 tank with canister but i find it too troublesome especially of the space constrain so i have decided to go for 322 tank cabinet with sump ! Indeed i managed to find one affordable and high maintenance tank (surprisingly without any visible scratches). My equipments are all mainly from this forum. After camping the forum for almost every minute each day, finally managed to really get all the good equipments with very good prices. 

Firstly before my tank arrive, i went to bleach and soak vinegar my live rocks to kill all the unnecessary pest that will bother my in the future. 

IMG_0295.thumb.JPG.b49d6ae022713d02531bf

IMG_0302.thumb.JPG.7d69dd8921b7deba14b72IMG_0519.thumb.JPG.798bdfa21d7f972825ee3IMG_0527.thumb.JPG.f9363c899a5df1130f244

Step 1, I went to soak bleach for 3days then rinse with tap water + Scrubbing ! (Buy a chlorine test kit to ensure NO chlorine inside the rocks before you sundry it)

Step 2, Bring out to sundry it, after which soak in vinegar for around 40-60 minutes. 

Step 3, Done ! But you can sundry it again if you want. 

This is the additives i will be using for now !

IMG_0433.thumb.JPG.8ffcfbc852f36e2c47112

After long await, my tank finally arrived ! Quickly went to wash my tank another round even though it's quite clean (Left the water stains) 

Went to rock scape before adding in any equipments. Please advise on my rock scape !

IMG_0917.thumb.JPG.a96e16c9a54d94e4886a4

My equipments :

Jebao DC 12k (Return pump)

Hydra Steam 2 

Skimz SM 202 

Skimz FR (Biopellet)

4 tubes of ATI lighting (2 coral plus and 2 blue plus)

Any feedbacks please comment and advise ! Appreciate it ! 

Edited by Darren Sim
  • Like 1

How come u soak ur rock in vinegar for 60min, isnt it kinda short?

I'm going to soak my rocks soon, but intending to soak for a day.

Sent from my potato using Tapatalk

As i know because vinegar is quite strong so if you put it for around 1hour is more than enough.

Edited by Darren Sim

Camping here. Looking forward for more updates.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

Dont soak your rocks in vinegar for too long, It will turn brittle and break apart. As mentioned, 1 day is too long. An hour or two is more than enough, u just want the vinegar to remove the outer portion of the rocks. Last time had to experiment myself bleaching rocks. 

I Love Stagsss

Dont soak your rocks in vinegar for too long, It will turn brittle and break apart. As mentioned, 1 day is too long. An hour or two is more than enough, u just want the vinegar to remove the outer portion of the rocks. Last time had to experiment myself bleaching rocks. 

Agreed ! Even some of my rocks is breaking apart after 1 hour of soaking ! 

Thank you guys for all your supports !!

Going to update now !!

After setting up my tank, i went to plug all the necessary things needed to cycle my tank. That includes hydra stream 2 too. Hydra stream really reduce ammonia and nitrite level to 0ppm. That's amazing but TAKE NOTE it doesn't remove nitrate. You still need regular water change to remove that but another side is if hydra can remove ammonia and nitrite then will there be high nitrate? 

Decided to throw in the traditional way and that's market prawn. It helps to increase ammonia level for you so your cycle can start !

IMG_1051.thumb.JPG.64b371dc4296810e80efa

I didn't take very long to cycle my tank. I left it there for about 2 weeks and start measuring my ammonia, nitrite and nitrate level. Thank god results is in order for me to put my fishes in ! I really love the progress of adding new fish in. 

This is my current fish ! 

1X true percula clownfish

3X chromis

2X (i believe is Blue Gudgeon Dartfish)

1X Cleaner wrasse

IMG_1336.thumb.JPG.75c8532b3adcd29ae2166IMG_1345.thumb.JPG.7495d6b0f8cf45a406489IMG_1348.thumb.JPG.aaab892e060e9f9e8e55d

By the way i left out my wave maker ! I bought gyre 150 from a nice reefer at a good price too ! Really lucky to get all these good deals !

IMG_1341.thumb.JPG.8eef307de54cab129ff41

To end the post, this is my FTS (Full Tank Shot) and FSS (Full Sump Shot)

Sorry about the messy sump because all items are still not in place yet. Still looking for another affordable reactor to run my Rowa so any lobang can recommend.

IMG_1343.thumb.JPG.b2f49482ce77439680e23IMG_1340.thumb.JPG.17431e2a8aff93f1f4870

Any comment or feedback is appreciated. Thank you for your time ! 

That's a real strong wm u r using!!

Edited by Admiraltian

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

These few days having massive headache because of diatom !  

Going to off my lights and stop feeding them  for 3 days to see how the outcome will be ! 

By the way new addition to my tank ! 

Blue and green chromis X 5

Sand shifting starfish X 2

6 Lines wrasse X 1

Giant turbo snails X 3 ( Not effective ) 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

It's normal to have diatoms during ur initial startup, fret not.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Supporter

The water level in the return section seems too low. Not enough 'buffer' water before its too low for your return pump.

I understand its because of the backflow when the return pump is off. Hope the suggestion to break the siphon with a small hole on the return pipe will work in your case.

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

Wah ur rock work very chio emoji106.png

Sent from my potato using Tapatalk

Wow nice scape. How long you take to do?

Thank you for reading my post. My rockscape is done by one of my reefer bro. He loves rockscaping and he normally bring that into a whole new level !  He took around 30minutes? 

• SRC Member
Is the vinegar in pic 5L and where to get it? Sheng shiong only sell 2L bottle.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Actually you can find it at those market grocery store.. I bought mine 5L for $3.50..

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk