New nano reef tank

Hi to all,

I have just started to this hobby. I have just started to set-up my nano marine tank and need some tips. My tank is still cycling so no fishes and corals only sand and live rocks(maybe dead now). I have placed a piece of uncooked prawn into my tank to help with the cycling process. I read that the cycling process will take 3-4 weeks to complete.

Here are my queations:

When can I start to remove the of prawn and the dead carcasses(worms, shrimp and Crab)from the live rocks from my tank? Can I leave it there until the tank is fully cycled before I put in the fishes.

Is it also possible to put live corals into my tank without Chiller? I have installed a fan and my temperature is around 28 deg C.

Sent from my D6653 using Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Supporter

You do not need to remove the prawn meat from your tank. It will be decompose by the bacteria in the water which helps build the foundation of the tank cycling. Meanwhile, you need to get some test kit to test the water to ensure that the cycling cycle is complete before adding new fish. 

Normally, after the tank cycling is completed. i will go a major water change ( 50 % ) to bring down the N03 value before adding new any new live stocks. Yes it is possible to keep the corals without chiller i,f you can maintain it below 30 degree but do watch out for excessive water evaporation from the tank and remember to top up with freshwater regularly to help keep the salinity stable. 

• SRC Member
Thanks for the reply. I also read that I need to use distilled water to top up. Can I use tap water treated with anti-chorine instead?

Tap water is okay but not recommended as tap water contains impurities that you dw to be in your tank, which can cause algae problem. So di water is recommended.

• SRC Member

You will be better off getting a di unit rather than using tap water, as you will probably spend more money trying to get rid of algaes. What brand of salt are u using?

Sent from my iPhone

Better to get a DI unit at least.

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• SRC Member
57 minutes ago, jvega888 said:

Thanks for the reply. I also read that I need to use distilled water to top up. Can I use tap water treated with anti-chorine instead?

Since you are running a nano, you can also consider getting LIFE distilled water from NTUC for top up & wc.

like the rest of the bros mentioned, tap water can potentially introduce unwanted things which can have long-lasting effects, thus a DI unit to make your own water or buying distilled water is safer in that sense.

I will check the brand of my salt later. This information about Distilled water was not share by the Lady in the LFS where I bought my tank. Anyway, Is it advisable to continue with existing water and slowly use distilled water for water changes and top up or thow away the water and start from scratch? I may buy the DI / RO unit in the future.ef6ef187cb1ae22f477fdcde33757cec.jpg

• SRC Member

Personally for my office tank I use dechlorinated tap water, a fan for cooling, plus a humble beamswork light for my first tank and still mange to keep some lps and livestock. However, my observation is that lps tend to just survive but not grow under these conditions. If you just keep soft corals or just go for fowlr tank, then it's not much of a problem. But do note that because of this, I have to do a lot more maintenance - bigger weekly water change, aggressive skimming, weekly water test, lots of macroalgae and a lot of top up of evaporated water to compensate. So you have to see whether it's worth the extra trouble. For me I do it because I don't think my boss will appreciate me installing a fancy Di unit in the toilet lol

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Algae is because you use tap water.

Go NTUC and get their drinking water. Its DI water

For nano getting NTUC water is more cost effective

Beam light is too weak for any lps .

Try at least 1 or 2 PAR 38.

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016