Hardened Salt

• SRC Member

Your salt has hardened due to absorption of the moisture in the air, which caused a chemical reaction.  Likely the Calcium and Alkalinity parameters are now reduced.  Mix a batch and test all the parameters to see how much is affected.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

On a related note, I bought some salt from a fellow reefer but I just noticed it has become contaminated with water and is now watery like slurpee. I mixed it anyway but the water seems to be quite cloudy even after 2 hours of mixing. Is this safe to use?

f8fffce4741774ae90f99c1d35672e17.jpg

2bcb441e8314ffe9d6bb3f07a6332b76.jpg

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm going to try to sieve out the white stuff and use the unclouded parts. Luckily I'm doing wc for my softies tank so it shouldn't be too big an issue.

It has been said , when mixing saltmix it is best to add salt to the water instead of adding water to the salt ... Sounds same but totally different. When water is added to salt especially if poured slowly , the chances of over saturation is high and this may cause precipitation , the first thing to precipitate is calcium n magnesium, this will explain the cloudy water (case of the wet salt mix). 

As for the clumping of salt , it may be caused by moisture getting into the bucket but that should be minimal and if the salt mix well without cloudy water or overly excessive precipitate , then it would be ok to use.

• Like 1

Stairway to Heaven

2 hours ago, sharonleong said:

May i know what the most recommend tester i should go for if i want to mix salt and tap water?

You will need a calibrated refractometer or a calibrated hydrometer , but it is not recomended to use tap water (straight from the tap) , however if the tap water was treated with RODi or Seachem prime then it's good. Or you could just buy distilled water from the supermarket and so the mix.

Stairway to Heaven

Check your water tds before you use for salt mix.

I highly recomended this step

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• SRC Member

Very useful advice. Thanks. Anyway it seems that the cloudiness has faded after my filter wool caught all the precipitate. Everything still looks fine but I threw out the remaining batch anyway. No use using salt already deprived of calcium and magnesium

• SRC Supporter

It is still safe to use but the parameter of the salt might have change when it become harden so best to test your water again after the water change

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Member
21 hours ago, xiggie said:

You will need a calibrated refractometer or a calibrated hydrometer , but it is not recomended to use tap water (straight from the tap) , however if the tap water was treated with RODi or Seachem prime then it's good. Or you could just buy distilled water from the supermarket and so the mix.

I will be using Prime as RODI need to get replacement cartridges.  What are the brand to go for refractometer oh ya what the idea sanity level if i mix salt with water?

• SRC Supporter
I will be using Prime as RODI need to get replacement cartridges.  What are the brand to go for refractometer oh ya what the idea sanity level if i mix salt with water?

Depending what you intent to keep? For fish only 1.018. For lps coral 1.022 to 1.025. For sps coral, at least 1.025 . Redsea or DD is a trusted refactometer brand I use

• Like 1

• SRC Member

Sure thank you 

21 hours ago, he said:

Depending what you intent to keep? For fish only 1.018. For lps coral 1.022 to 1.025. For sps coral, at least 1.025 . Redsea or DD is a trusted refactometer brand I use

Do you premix your water a day before you do your water change? How fast is the responds on sanity when it to mixing salt and water?

• SRC Member

Er I don't know about other practices but I just mix before I do a water change. One full bucket with a 1000l/hr wavemaker churning the water takes me maybe 30 mins? As long the water is clear and the salinity is correct then I just use it. Some sediment might be left behind though, so I just discard that

• SRC Member
11 hours ago, sharonleong said:

Sure thank you 

Do you premix your water a day before you do your water change? How fast is the responds on sanity when it to mixing salt and water?

Usually the Salt will come with suggestion on how long to mix before adding to tank.  For mine it says may be added immediately once all dissolved, but also recommends to wait at least 12hrs to allow some parameters to stabilize.  I used to do over 12 hours, but nowadays I just add in after a few hours.

• SRC Member
16 hours ago, tuajia said:

Er I don't know about other practices but I just mix before I do a water change. One full bucket with a 1000l/hr wavemaker churning the water takes me maybe 30 mins? As long the water is clear and the salinity is correct then I just use it. Some sediment might be left behind though, so I just discard that

What kind of salt are you using? One full bucket how many liters you put in the salt base on the recommended dosage? What you use to measure salinity?

Btw premix salt water or farm sea water which one contain more mineral?

8 hours ago, DottyClown said:

Usually the Salt will come with suggestion on how long to mix before adding to tank.  For mine it says may be added immediately once all dissolved, but also recommends to wait at least 12hrs to allow some parameters to stabilize.  I used to do over 12 hours, but nowadays I just add in after a few hours.

What brand of sale are you using?

• SRC Member

I'm using Skimz Pur Reef.

You can use a Refractometer to measure the Salinity.

How much water to how much salt, that you would have to find out yourself.  For a fixed known volume of water, measure the amount of salt, either by weighing scale or what most use is just a scoop/cup.  Gradually add in the salt to water, mix fully and use the Refractometer to check the salinity.  Continue the process until desired Salinity level is reached.  Remember the amount of water and amount of salt, so that next time it will be faster and less guess work.

• SRC Member

Agree with DottyClown. After a while you more or less can agar agar estimate how much salt ti put in. I use a standard red pail worth of water, add about 4 cups (the kind for scooping rice) worth of salt to get salinity of 1.023-1.025

• SRC Member
On 7/20/2016 at 7:04 PM, DottyClown said:

I'm using Skimz Pur Reef.

You can use a Refractometer to measure the Salinity.

How much water to how much salt, that you would have to find out yourself.  For a fixed known volume of water, measure the amount of salt, either by weighing scale or what most use is just a scoop/cup.  Gradually add in the salt to water, mix fully and use the Refractometer to check the salinity.  Continue the process until desired Salinity level is reached.  Remember the amount of water and amount of salt, so that next time it will be faster and less guess work.

1 hour ago, tuajia said:

Agree with DottyClown. After a while you more or less can agar agar estimate how much salt ti put in. I use a standard red pail worth of water, add about 4 cups (the kind for scooping rice) worth of salt to get salinity of 1.023-1.025

1 hour ago, xiggie said:

Most salt will come with ratio of salt to water .. See picture below , do a bit of maths and you'll get the required amount of salt for the amount of water you want to mix. 

image.jpg

Ok noted thanks guys...

So next question farm sea water is better or mix salt?