My 4ft Wonder

Nice setup and cool app!!

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• SRC Supporter

The rock modification is quite cool. Thanks for sharing the strong magnet source.

The magnet I tried for a floating rock project wasn't so strong and good for up to 10mm glass only.

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• SRC Member
The rock DIY is really a good piece of work. Looks like a floating scape but suggest to put a flat rock with holes so you can use it as a frag tray haha. 
Keep it up !! Looking for more updates

thanks for the comments :) i do have two different floating reef..one is a flat rock where i put all my zoas on it and another is where i put my sps... i also have three other frag trays which i have placed frags to slowly grow them for sale :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

Been a few days since i have updated... was battling with aefw; found out that one or two pieces of my acro has got bite marks... which made me sian... so i pull out 4 to 5 pieces of sps and dip it in Potassium Chloride Dip about 2 teaspoon to 600ml of water...it was way more concentrated than my first dip test...and this time a few AEFW came out!!

Feeling totally sian... 

I looked into the different natural predator which is good to feast on the AEFW...so top on the list is always the 6line wrasse and melanurus wrasse. But i also notice that spotted mandarin may eat these aefw too.. so i got two spotted mandarin one male and one female to prevent fighting and to see if they help with controlling the aefw population.. 

so i am waiting for the spotted mandarin to control the aefw and i will continue to remove the various different sps and dip them again...at one go...

hearsay that potassium chloride in a higher concentrate will also stun or kill the aefw eggs but for a precaution measure i will be cutting off any stn base area if there is any eggs there...

Wish me Luck...for this fight with the aefw and hopefully all the aefw will be gone....

• SRC Member

Sorry to hear that you are going thru this ordeal.. Yes need to closely monitor for next few weeks to try rid of them. Any colonies or frags that suddenly look paler or PE reduce or suddenly showing mesenterial filaments when it is not feeding time, these signs indicate that the acro might be under attack from these vile pests.

Agree with your approach to scrap off all eggs & physically remove them instead of relying on the dip. Cannot take any risks.

natural predation with wrasses can work, more effective if feeding is reduced, so that they actively hunt for the aefw. Check out Springeri damsels too, some have reported success with them eating aefw.

will be beneficial to blow your colonies once in a while with the turkey baster, or use a small power head, this action can dislodge aefw & once they start floating around, your wrasses should grab them fast. Good way to 'train' them to eat aefw too.

sorry for this long post, hope this helps! As much as it is disheartening, don't give up bro, with perseverance & discipline, these damn aefw can be eradicated!

• Like 1

• SRC Member
Sorry to hear that you are going thru this ordeal.. Yes need to closely monitor for next few weeks to try rid of them. Any colonies or frags that suddenly look paler or PE reduce or suddenly showing mesenterial filaments when it is not feeding time, these signs indicate that the acro might be under attack from these vile pests.
Agree with your approach to scrap off all eggs & physically remove them instead of relying on the dip. Cannot take any risks.
natural predation with wrasses can work, more effective if feeding is reduced, so that they actively hunt for the aefw. Check out Springeri damsels too, some have reported success with them eating aefw.
will be beneficial to blow your colonies once in a while with the turkey baster, or use a small power head, this action can dislodge aefw & once they start floating around, your wrasses should grab them fast. Good way to 'train' them to eat aefw too.
sorry for this long post, hope this helps! As much as it is disheartening, don't give up bro, with perseverance & discipline, these damn aefw can be eradicated!

thanks for the encouragement...i will fight a strong fight..

but wanna ask how long does it take for mesenterial filaments to reappear on the milli after the dip

• SRC Member

i purchase this viewing port to check out the corals which are further in..it works for eye viewing but not so much of shoot thru the viewing port.. u all should come and take a look.. it is really good..

1e71e2fa41bf7e8e8a72758b2e8babe7.jpg

39221bdb5d539d75940aa93736fe7098.jpg in tank side..can help to clean the tank too

88a13b5409eb4ae69d123093a32fef08.jpg outside tank side with magnifying lens..

0c33e4ece94b905cea9e1d08b41ab61a.jpg

ae642c042e6f2753a7f43c7cf25eff8d.jpg
it is quite big.. almost 20cm diameter size

67b0ef987c4e29612a3db8f261f7fc67.jpg without viewing port

54f1f9c44c0fd308f6bd11fd93fea609.jpg with viewing port

To spy and check on my corals :)

i purchase this viewing port to check out the corals which are further in..it works for eye viewing but not so much of shoot thru the viewing port.. u all should come and take a look.. it is really good..

1e71e2fa41bf7e8e8a72758b2e8babe7.jpg

39221bdb5d539d75940aa93736fe7098.jpg in tank side..can help to clean the tank too

88a13b5409eb4ae69d123093a32fef08.jpg outside tank side with magnifying lens..

0c33e4ece94b905cea9e1d08b41ab61a.jpg

ae642c042e6f2753a7f43c7cf25eff8d.jpg
it is quite big.. almost 20cm diameter size

67b0ef987c4e29612a3db8f261f7fc67.jpg without viewing port

54f1f9c44c0fd308f6bd11fd93fea609.jpg with viewing port

To spy and check on my corals

Nice ! Can i know where you bought it from?

• SRC Member

Came Home from a 3 day work trip.... to a seemingly alive tank...

Had a 8 hour power trip on my whole house on one of the day... good thing that there isn't any fish/coral issue.. when my wife came back home from work and did a circuit breaker reset. 

Thanks to the check valve there is no overflow of water on to the floor.

Been 6 days since i dipped all the acro.... thank God no RTN/STN of those dipped... waiting to see if there is a need to dip again.... 

Waiting to observe to see if there is extension of polyp of the acros..

Wish myself all the best...

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Previously my Sohal tang was having serious color discolouration and it seems really pale.. no ich etc but just color gone...

55c8af7a02c3032d9faa2dd4fbbc34f0.jpg

I asked around and found out that it maybe lack of vitamins from the food pellets that it has been taking in...

Tried to give it some nori and red bamboo but nvr saw it eat any.. So i went to the Local Fish Shop and buy some Fish vitamin.. Got the Aquaforest Fish V.. which allows me to dose into the water or soak into the pellets before feeding..

After about 2 weeks of daily feeding via this way.. I can say that the color is coming back and the sohal is not longer pale...

All the fishes totally love the soaked pellets..

bf09d5273371f596ec45ba021a06751e.jpga51d8f20fb42b5b855e13dfdf93503c9.jpg

If anyone encounter this in future.. Try some fish V .. :) and also moving forward i am intending to feed more variety of food... like henry gourmet and also mysis soaked etc..

• Like 1

• SRC Member

Water Parameters

8225e594f581da5f5ef37e61e978d8c5.png

I guess they can be improved.. trying to bring my no3 down more..

Retuning my CR to make sure my alk stays at 7.7dkh

Topping up of MG via manual dosing so far..