S'pore's Ugliest Hybrid DIY Skimmer...

ervine

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

Just an update.. my skimmer finally broke in!!! Starting to foam liao... but still waiting to see if the skimmate is going to be good..

What I worry now is the riser is too high, resulting in overly dry skimmate or worse, no skimmate at all coz the foam can't climb so high.. but I guess it should be okay lah.. just need to wait a while

post-9-1083209128.jpg

• SRC Member

cut what exactly? I cut a lot of things... 6" tube, tupperware riser, hoses, thumb... if it's the 6" tube, the uncle at the shop cut for me... the tupperware is hacksaw holes are drill + filing + grinding..

Is it quiet... well considering I have an old Resun Chiller in my bedroom then yes it's quiet... if you are super picky then no.. it hums a little

• SRC Member

SIGH...

Murphy's law holds through again... I spent 3hrs fruitlessly trying to fix a leak in my skimmer due to rough handling on my part...

Small tiny little leak became worse and worse as i kept meddling with it... and after 3 hours after I thought I had the leak under control........

a hose disloged...

spilling half of my skimmers contents all over the floor... attacked my wooden table, NEARLY killed my portable harddisk (which was on the floor) wet everything in a 1m radius.. etc etc etc...

Worst tank incident to date siah... some more worked on it till 3am and had to wake up at 6am.. sigh sigh sigh...

In the end I ran out of glue and gave up... with superglue all over my hands, a leaking skimmer and an insane string of bad luck I finally put my old weipro back on line...

Anyway, got back from work today, fixed the leak and skimmer is back online again... hopefully it won't leak anymore

• SRC Member
SIGH...

Murphy's law holds through again... I spent 3hrs fruitlessly trying to fix a leak in my skimmer due to rough handling on my part...

Small tiny little leak became worse and worse as i kept meddling with it... and after 3 hours after I thought I had the leak under control........

a hose disloged...

spilling half of my skimmers contents all over the floor... attacked my wooden table, NEARLY killed my portable harddisk (which was on the floor) wet everything in a 1m radius.. etc etc etc...

Worst tank incident to date siah... some more worked on it till 3am and had to wake up at 6am.. sigh sigh sigh...

In the end I ran out of glue and gave up... with superglue all over my hands, a leaking skimmer and an insane string of bad luck I finally put my old weipro back on line...

Anyway, got back from work today, fixed the leak and skimmer is back online again... hopefully it won't leak anymore

try to have a hot glue gun on standby whenever u need to DIY.. very useful

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

wah nice skimmer and impellor mod... but where does the skimemr take in the water?? I see that the pump draws water from the skimmer itself.. I see the output of the skimmer but not the intake...

Live and Let Live

• SRC Member
wah nice skimmer and impellor mod... but where does the skimemr take in the water?? I see that the pump draws water from the skimmer itself.. I see the output of the skimmer but not the intake...

See the previous page.. got an image with the skimmer intake, it's the green tube going down to the lower half of the skimmer...

This is unlike traditional skimmers of this kind which bring water from sump to the upper end of the skimmer body.. this is coz my supply pump was also to be modded to inject air in as well... so both of them go into the skimmer body and then are tilted at an angle to get a swirl of bubbles in the skimmer itself...

• SRC Member

Oh just realised the pic I have might be misleading.. the green tube is NOT supposed to go into the grey tube.. it's to be connected to a supply pump... which is not shown in the pic...

And no it does not work on a siphon, it uses a pump to pump water into the skimmer...

• SRC Member

Bro ervine,

I really admire your enthusiasm. Well done. You really have the true DIY spirit. Using totally normal household items to make what you want. Great job.

Its easy to spend money to buy some great part but its actually harder to use typical cheap household items to do it.

If you need any help feel free to pm me.

Cheers

:bow: