Vinegar Dosing

samuel88

Hi guys, I'd just like to share with everyone an experience.

I started vinegar dosing just last week, and I am so impressed by the results. The algae in my tank has been disappearing, my protein skimmer has started pulling out much more gunk, and my nitrates have dropped from 50ppm to less than 5.

In my previous setups I've tried a sump full of liverock, refugium mud, growing macroalgae in a sump, an extremely oversized skimmer, biopellets, dosing bacteria, very prudent feeding, manual removal of nuisance algae, etc. All of which costed me hundreds to perhaps a thousand dollars and so much work but I was still unable to keep nitrates and nuisance algae down.

What impressed me the most is that a simple dosing of a $2 bottle of distilled vinegar that will last me months could get me the results I previously tried so hard to get.

So, just wanted to share my experience here to see if anyone else could benefit from it.

That being said, if you haven't read up about vinegar dosing, don't just anyhow add and make sure you read up to determine proper dosages.

Sent from my MI MAX 2 using Tapatalk

• SRC Member
Hi guys, I'd just like to share with everyone an experience.

I started vinegar dosing just last week, and I am so impressed by the results. The algae in my tank has been disappearing, my protein skimmer has started pulling out much more gunk, and my nitrates have dropped from 50ppm to less than 5.

In my previous setups I've tried a sump full of liverock, refugium mud, growing macroalgae in a sump, an extremely oversized skimmer, biopellets, dosing bacteria, very prudent feeding, manual removal of nuisance algae, etc. All of which costed me hundreds to perhaps a thousand dollars and so much work but I was still unable to keep nitrates and nuisance algae down.

What impressed me the most is that a simple dosing of a $2 bottle of distilled vinegar that will last me months could get me the results I previously tried so hard to get.

So, just wanted to share my experience here to see if anyone else could benefit from it.

That being said, if you haven't read up about vinegar dosing, don't just anyhow add and make sure you read up to determine proper dosages.

How you use the vineger ?? Do you running a chaeto ??

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Make pardon.. I mean how long you use the vineger??

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Hi bro, I have used vinegar for one week, I don't run chaeto,

My filtration consists of two piece of rocks and 3 inch sandbed in my display, a small protein skimmer, canister filter with biomedia, and a HOB filter with biomedia and carbon.

Brand no important. I has being dosing vineage for more then a year and I control adjust the dosing to control the NO3 level I want

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• SRC Member
1 minute ago, sherman said:

Brand no important. I has being dosing vineage for more then a year and I control adjust the dosing to control the NO3 level I want

The reason I asked is because I have been dosing for 18 days base on the attachment dosage but nothing happened.

Care to share your success?

Thanks

What brand of Vinegar are you using? Care to share? Are you following the attachment on amount of dosage?
Vinegar dosing.xlsx
I use Heinz, but really any brand will do as long as it is distilled and no flavouring. Certainly not the black colored chinese kind.

The dosage I use is from a forum I read on reefcentral. Basically they recommend starting with .15 ml dose per gallon daily and doubling that the following week, observe your tank algae growth, signs of bacterial bloom and nitrates as a guide to whether you are over dosing.

There's one guy on that forum that said he reached .45 ml per gallon before he started seeing adverse effects which recovered after he decreased dosage so I would advise stopping around that dosage or lesser.

Right now as it is my second week I have been dosing around .26 per gallon, being a bit more prudent as it is better to under dose than vice versa.

If brand is not the issue....China brand also ok?
Should be ok, but I generally stay away from China brands cause they not very famous for their food quality. Haha. Anyways even for the premium brand Heinz, distilled vinegar is dirt cheap.

• SRC Member
1 hour ago, samuel88 said:

I use Heinz, but really any brand will do as long as it is distilled and no flavouring. Certainly not the black colored chinese kind.

The dosage I use is from a forum I read on reefcentral. Basically they recommend starting with 0.15 ml dose per gallon daily and doubling that the following week, observe your tank algae growth, signs of bacterial bloom and nitrates as a guide to whether you are over dosing.

There's one guy on that forum that said he reached .45 ml per gallon before he started seeing adverse effects which recovered after he decreased dosage so I would advise stopping around that dosage or lesser.

Right now as it is my second week I have been dosing around .26 per gallon, being a bit more prudent as it is better to under dose than vice versa.

Add 0 to your .15. ltr they dose 15ml per gallon, GG. 

Rule of thumb is dose slow, my tank has a total volume of 1000L, i started with 8ml, then 16ml then slowly increase. Once see white film, slow down again. Do note vinegar will reduce PH. 

Reefers can refer to the pic below, this is based on 5% acetic acid. if higher concentration, divide/multiply accordingly. 

https://www.google.com.sg/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjc16mjh-bbAhWFt1kKHdaDDFIQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.3reef.com%2Fthreads%2Fquick-about-vinegar-dosing.137304%2F&psig=AOvVaw2xPWJnrHeMo82odc8_GY4V&ust=1529715184396098

I using the cheapest you find on the shelf. I think $1.10

I do not know what is your tank volume.

And make sure you has a efficient skimmer in your system

Before you start just take your NO3 reading. Then start your first dosage.

Use that same dosage for 3 days. Check your NO3 again.

Is your NO3 reduce? If not then double your present dosage.

And continue above process till your NO3 start to fall.

Continue with that dosage but ensure your NO3 don't fall to zero,

Unless you are aiming for ulns system.

But take note that your PO4 is not zero from the start.

If PO4 zero this dosing may not work

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• SRC Member
20 minutes ago, sherman said:

I do not know what is your tank volume.

Before you start just take your NO3 reading. Then start your first dosage.

Use that same dosage for 3 days. Check your NO3 again.

Is your NO3 reduce? If not then double your present dosage.

And continue above process till your NO3 start to fall.

Continue with that dosage but ensure your NO3 don't fall to zero,

Unless you are aiming for ulns system.

But take note that your PO4 is not zero from the start.

If PO4 zero this dosing may not work

Thanks for sharing.

Measured No3 - 50ppm (Salifert)

Tank Vol - 400L

Po4 - 5ppm (Salifert)

what is the recommendation vinegar dosage on the above?

Thanks

• SRC Supporter

Your tank is about 400L = 100 gallons.

The link from Sherman showed a table showing the incremental dosing amounts. That's a good guide.

vinegar_sm.jpg

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

I using the same chart as show by SubzeroLT.

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• SRC Member
5 minutes ago, SubzeroLT said:

Your tank is about 400L = 100 gallons.

The link from Sherman showed a table showing the incremental dosing amounts. That's a good guide.

vinegar_sm.jpg

Thanks Leon...I am using the above guide for current dosing and I am on Wk 3 already....so far nothing has happen yet.

Its due to "no" or "not enough" PO4 as mentioned?

Add 0 to your .15. ltr they dose 15ml per gallon, GG. 
Rule of thumb is dose slow, my tank has a total volume of 1000L, i started with 8ml, then 16ml then slowly increase. Once see white film, slow down again. Do note vinegar will reduce PH. 
Reefers can refer to the pic below, this is based on 5% acetic acid. if higher concentration, divide/multiply accordingly. 
https://www.google.com.sg/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjc16mjh-bbAhWFt1kKHdaDDFIQjRx6BAgBEAU&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.3reef.com%2Fthreads%2Fquick-about-vinegar-dosing.137304%2F&psig=AOvVaw2xPWJnrHeMo82odc8_GY4V&ust=1529715184396098
You mean 15 ml per 100 gallon? I don't think that's alot.

• SRC Member
You mean 15 ml per 100 gallon? I don't think that's alot.

What I’m saying when the person mentioned .15ml per gallon. It looks like 15ml , if they speed read and omit out the ‘.’

In that case 15ml per Gallon is disastrous

• SRC Member

water changes is not the only solution to reduce nitrate. I'm not debating that it won't work, in fact, it does work and the most straight forward way to reduce nitrate. but I'm keen to work smart and not work hard for the hobby. 

water change are promoted in the past, but now, there are several many way which are being practiced. 

• SRC Member

For me. Changing water, usually shock my tank as my fish / coral appeared adversely towards it every time i change.

I feel the time + salt + water + effort to change water is not worth it. I prefer the dosing / nutrient export / refugium route even thou it cost more money (debatable) but I prefer to enjoy the hobby admiring it rather than being a slave to it every fortnight.

But to each its own, of course. Everyone might feel differently on the each approach.

I think is not wise to chase number, but to chase for stability instead.