Miracle Filter???

Michael Young

• Sponsor

Hey guys,

picked up this brochure from a LFS today and I thought I might show it to you guys. ;) The back of the brochure also features a write-up by a local Chinese newspaper. I wonder what's next? A filter system that will attain immortality for your fishes??? :lol:

Here's the inside of the brochure

post-11-1082212534.jpg

• SRC Member

Actually that might be right if you are doing a planted fishtank...

Based on some reseach I did back in my FW days, if you do it right (with a soil based substrate), you don't really need to do any water changes for FW tanks... coz the nitrates are taken up by the plants anyways...

But then again, a sump will remove all the CO2 from the water thus rendering the water devoid of dissolved carbon dioxide essential to photosynthesis...

But in the case of a marine tank.... that's a different story..

• Sponsor
hmms...

they have to boost to get business wat... ;)

believe em or not..up to u!

Everyone will say good things about their products, but you've got to draw the line somewhere right? Do you not think that people with no experience in keeping fishes will want to buy one of these when they see the claims on the brochure? :cry:

One reason I'm sure why we are seeing so many 'giving up sale' on SRC is due to misinformation from some retailers. :angry:

• SRC Member

I suppose a little of nitrate is good for some corals and clams of course but not fishes.

as a matter of fact, ammonia and nitrite are the main components tat kills fishes during a spike, but after tat the nitrate will affect the corals...

nitrate does not serve any purpose to corals nor fishes....it is juz there to accumulate and kill everything....

unless u are toking bout algae and marine plants like grapes....

It does'nt work for FW planted tanks too. If you don't change water at all you'll notice decreased rates of photosynthesis due to organic buildup in the water. This affects light penetration considerably. And soon you'll end up with a massive algae bloom. :sick:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member
It does'nt work for FW planted tanks too. If you don't change water at all you'll notice decreased rates of photosynthesis due to organic buildup in the water. This affects light penetration considerably. And soon you'll end up with a massive algae bloom.  :sick:

Well it's not that you don't EVER have to change the water... the frequency can be reduced... I change my 3ft FW tank's water once in a few months... fishes all doing fine, plants growing too... din bother with CO2 either...

but then that's :off: liaos... hehe

Hmm..think depends on what plants one wants to keep. I was keeping the high light demanding species such as glossotigmas, hair grass, etc. Then also CO2 input to see them bubble like champagne. :lol: I used to change water like 50% a week. :rolleyes:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

ammonia and nitrite highly toxic to both fishes corals and inverts...

nitrates mainly affects corals, inverts are the next in line.. fishes and other vertebrates are the least affected by nitrates out of the three...

Live and Let Live