Nitrate reduction by means of Coil Denitrator

derf

In my opinion, they are unnecessary if you incorporate a DSB in your tank... same results... less work.

Maybe if you have an overstocked tank... or no DSB... the principle is kinda the same isn't it?

Using bacteria to eat up Nitrates?

• SRC Member

Macroalgae refugiums work very well too. Downside is that they must be harvested and require lighting. Many people use a combination of DSB and Refugiums.

Large water changes can reduce nitrates too.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

hrmm I got an idea for a DIY coil denitrator

you need to get a submerge powerhead with the air hole in the output, block the half of the main output so instead of ###### air, it will be pumping water out of the air hole.

hook up 50m or more air tube to the air hole, add a 1 way check valve to prevent the water from flowing back

connect to a cylindrical container and fill it with bioballs

create a outlet on top of the to allow the water from flowing back

its simple and easier to build

heres a simple drawing

post-6-1034960062.jpg

• SRC Member

the powerhead is to drive water thru the airtube

the water will first go thru a 1 way check valve to prevent the water from flowing back then go thru to a control valve to control the flowrate

the water going thru 50m of airtube would be deprived of oxygen as the aerobic bacteria will consume the oxygen along the way

after going thru the airtube, the water will have to pass thru the bioballs which is the home of anaerobic bacteria that will convert nitrates to nitrogen. With the correct flowrate + at least 8weeks cycling time would enable the bacteria to work on the nitrates

Barracuda,

There is no need for 50m for tubing....u need a min of 50 ft of tubing which goes to abt approximatly 16m... anything less than 16m the denitrator needs feeding... maybe 50m won't hurt but it takes up space.

If i am not wrong U are refering to the venturi intake of the pump which is located at the outlet. Good location to hook up the tube but when ur denitrator get clogged your flow is gonna reduce day by day until u end up getting hydrgen sulphide. My design is similar to urs but i trying to improve it so it takes up less space and maybe even thinking of using a larger volume container with 4X 20m tubing ...

I think i prefer to use a denitrator... all the benifits of a DSB but non of its disadvantage... no feeding required too...

anyway i feel it should also be called NNR becos in the end u r using the same bacteria ....

sorry for responding late....i am in the mist of my exams

good luck with ur project barracuda

• SRC Member
I think i prefer to use a denitrator... all the benifits of a DSB but non of its disadvantage... no feeding required too...

anyway i feel it should also be called NNR becos in the end u r using the same bacteria ....

Huh??? :unsure:

First time I heard denitrator that doesn't require feeding unless you have a Aquamedic Denitrator with their deniballs.....

or media that are bio degradable that acts are food for the denitrifying bacteria......

Phang,

when the coil is more than 50ft, The water inside is almost in the absence of oxygen thats why you dun need feeding. but anything less than 50ft u will have to feed your denitrator... this is the info i have learnt so far....If u need feeding then it beats the purpose of having the 50ft coil there.... :D

• SRC Member

The absence of oxygen or low oxygen is where you find denitrifying bacteria...

These bacteria converts nitrates into their components but to sustain them, there must be a media for them to feed on......

Without any substance to feed on, then these bacteria would not survive long to help breakdown your nitrates....

Maybe if you can help me to understand how a 50 ft coil helps the bacteria to survive without food......????

From my understanding, the reason for the 50 ft coil is to assist in the depleting of oxgyen.. creating a anaerobic environment for these bacteria not as a food source....

With food, then the bacteria will be able to breakdown the nitrates....or the bacteria will breakdown nitrates in the process of consuming food....

• SRC Member

I did considered about the powerhead pressure issue but I figured out using a cheapo $13 900/L pump should be able to drive the water thru the long tubing

the reason why I suggest 50m of airtube is that the longer the airtube, the higher the turnover. You can drive higher volume of water in a shorter time without screwing up the anerobic bacteria process.

2nd reason is that 50m worth of tubing is worth only $7.50, if the tube get clogged despite of the pressure from the pump, heck .. just replace the whole roll :P

last reason is that you can purchase the 50m airtube in a single roll, meaning you can just take the 2 ends and the rest of the tube is neatly packed.

as for the hydrogen sulphite forming, I dont think its much of a probelm. denitrators have a enclosed system so the hydrogen sulphite is trapped and released into the tank

whereas according to the drawing, the cylinder for the anerobic bacteria is "open" and should be able to let the hydrogen sulphite escape.

worse come to worse, let the water drip thru some bioballs before going back to the tank ...

• SRC Member

These bacteria converts nitrates into their components but to sustain them, there must be a media for them to feed on......

Without any substance to feed on, then these bacteria would not survive long to help breakdown your nitrates....

Maybe if you can help me to understand how a 50 ft coil helps the bacteria to survive without food......????

From my understanding, the reason for the 50 ft coil is to assist in the depleting of oxgyen.. creating a anaerobic environment for these bacteria not as a food source....

With food, then the bacteria will be able to breakdown the nitrates....or the bacteria will breakdown nitrates in the process of consuming food....

hi phang

I believe nitrate is the food for anerobic bacteria and they need a low oxygen condition to work.

as for feeding bacteria in denitrators, I believe its the purpose of keeping them in tip top condition to enable them to work in higher oxygen levels because they will hibernate if there is no nitrates or the condition isnt right

• SRC Member

Nitrate is not the food for the bacteria. It is the electron-acceptor. Aerobic creatures like us use oxygen instead. They metabolise 'food' like we do except that they 'burn' their carbo and proteins with nitrates instead. DSB works because the sand dwellers bring 'food' into the sand in their faecal material and to a lesser extent water movement. That's why micro sand sifters are an integral part of the DSB and plenum.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Anyone care to post a pict.? Getting very blur with all this talk :huh:

From what i read through the net, I thought the water flows through all the long pipings, then through bio balls, before going back to the tank....

All these in a closed canister

coildenitrator3.JPG

More info: Denitrator

Did I get the idea rite? ;)