Tunze wavebox

corrado

• SRC Member
yus: dunno in real life will be dizzy or not...

if it still creates a dizzy effect, i think i still would not try this gadget no matter how effective....hehe...dun wanna run to the bathroom and :sick: everytime watch the reef for too long :P

hahaha mayb u can try put it la....but carry 1 pail b4 u come n sit infront of ur tank :lol::lol::lol:

• SRC Member

The water movements is out of propotion to the real ocean, movements seems too strong for the small tank. It's like the fish constantly haveing a big wave all the time. Just look at the movements of the plate coral and the sea grass/leaves. Like AT said, worried about the long term impact of the tank with all that "rocking".

Yeah, its actually irritating to see the LPS swish left and right so violently and so quickly... look at the plate corals!!! Perhaps if they slow the wave down a little.

They look like they are loving it though! :P

• SRC Member

I think we can adjust the frequent of the waves rite? if we desire lesser waves, just turn it down?

The biggest stumbling block for most tanks are the overflow boxes at one enf of the tank. For this to work properly, overflow boxes must be at dead centre I think or maybe with overflow boxes along the length type.. hmmm

You will still a lot of splashing into the overflow box due to the wave... I wonder if it will affect the sump water level as it may cause some pumps to suck their compartments dry unless there is sufficient water in the sump at all times, regardless of fluctuating water levels in the sump.

• SRC Member
yeah..interesting device...

but somehow seeing the 3 plate corals swaying in unison reminds me of cheerleaders with pompoms dancing in unison ;)

maybe that's the way the natural flow is like, but seriously just look at the video i get abit dizzy...i will definitely get dizzy if i were a fish in there :P

hehehe. Bro Roidan is right. The first thing I came to mind was "pity the poor fish " hehehe

• SRC Member

but one thing gd is.. it really reduce the need to put so many PH or stream into your tank.. and u will be sure there wont be any dead spot..

if it's have controller maybe will make it even better... sit back and wait for tunze to come out the controller and I guess it wil be a very gd device..

Hello S'pore!

I saw this unit in the Interzoo, very nice unit.

It got few problems though.

It is not supposed to be put in a tank with a side over flow at the side , there is a very big difference in the water level from one side to the other.

In the fair they put the wave box with the Tunze plastic over flow which was put in the middle of the tank.

Marinebetta for this kind of sand bed patters you will need a very thin sand bed.

It did not create this pattern in the show, it did in the catalogue.

I spoke with Tunze's technical Manager, and he said that this wave box is design to mimmic Lagoon biotop, means the sandy area just before the reef slope, as we all know there are no SPS there.

Tunze still reccomends the Stream or Stram and Turbelle combination for SPS only tanks.

I hope to get a wave box soon and will report how it is working.

Good on ya mate!!! :lol: :lol:

But if you tame me, we shall need each other.

To me, you will be unique in all the world.

To you, I shall be unique in all the world...

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.

-Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Keep our hobby sustainable, participate in fragging NOW

CHAETO Farmer FarmerDan.gif

Looks like our concerns about our tanks holding up is true!!

With different makers of tanks and grades of silicon out there, there is very little way to grade our tanks and determine if the Tunze wavebox will cause premature failure at what point of time!! :shock:

Take a look at this info by Roger of Tunze USA!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, I spent the last couple days at a seminar with Claude and Axel and I took notes and have the full scoop on the wavebox. Here is what we know.

The shorter the tank, the faster the frequency.

Frequency is fixed by resonance and cannot be adjusted- you can tune the frequency but for alll but the longest tanks only one frequency is effective in prodoucing a wave. In a tank over 2m a double wave is possible, in a tank over 4m a 4x wave is possible.

Here are the wave sizes at full power- amplitude can be adjusted on the driver that is common to all Tunze Electronic pumps and does not affect controller function at 100% the following is known dimensions are in cm, F is freq in seconds, w is wave height (crest to trough in mm)

70-50-50 F=.45s W=40

100-70-70 F=.56 W=35

120-70-60 F=.63 W=35

150-100-60 F=.83 W=30

180-100-60 F=.86 W=30

220-80-50 F=1.10 W=25

200-80-65 F=1.15 W=25

Round and Triangular tanks create an elliptical wave pattern.

Rock layout and corals effect resonance and adjustments have to be made every feew months to acccomodate coral growth.

The Pros of the wavebox are

In a 2m tank you can move 100,000l/h of water with 30w of power!

The pressure and dynamic of the wave improves permeation in to the rock and sand bed improving bio function

Detritus is almost non existant- no dead spots exist

Cons

On a old tank it could cause algae problems as the detritus and opening of the structure to flow will liberate phosphates and drop redox

Tank life is shortened by the dynamic load. We approximate a tank constructed to DIN standards looses 10-20% of it's life when all other assembly and installation is 100% correct. (Unfortunately the US has no standard system like the Deutches Institute Normalization but we can estimate that a well made name brand US tank will have a 15 year life and the wavebox will reduce that to 12 at most if all other instalation is correct-i.e. it is level and properly supported)

The flow is not exactly natural, the natural wave would be much longer but given the size of the device and ultimate in energy savings it is the best that can be accomplished and is the most natural flow available to hobbyists.

So, the ideal flow system now is two Electronic Streams on opposite ends back corner aimed to the front center glass and operated on interval mode 2 on multicontroller 7095 with changes in pump operation every 6hrs or so. The wave box is coordinated and shuts off at night. This flow is a 50% approximation of what exists in the ocean and the best accomplished yet by any means.

Some details for the controller 6091:

The unit can run three ways- one box connected to the multicontroller or two boxes independent and run synchronously (same side for bigger tanks) or Inverse where to boxes are run opposite on huge tanks to boost the flow. Maximum freq is 1.4 sec- any longer and the box prodouces bubbles.

That is all the info I have and that is direct from Claude Hug the developer and primary tester of the wavebox 6212.

Roger Vitko

Tunze USA

• SRC Member

It is based on the resonant frequency of the tank yah?

So it should be pumping bursts of water at intervals coinciding with that of the tank's natural resonant frequency which is why the length of the tank comes into play in the equation... I wonder how does the unit calculate the resonant frequency of the tank though... and producing such bursts of water should be quite taxing for the pump (but tunze should be okay I guess) if not I think this can probably be achieved with any normal pump... just a matter of controlling it to pulse which is the big problem...